Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    It's the thought that counts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikephelps View Post
    It's the thought that counts.
    On second thought, it should be the sound.

RoadBikeReview Member
    of course a normal roadie cannot be expected to go riding with the 'bent cyclists. Roadies have about tolerance for difference as Brown Shirts. I mean, you can't even mix roadies who prefer hi viz arm warmers with those who prefer long sleeve team kit types. Can't mix those who use bar end shifters with those running eTap. Can't mix those who like to average 32kph with those you like to average 31 kph. Although disc brakes embraced by one and all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    of course a normal roadie cannot be expected to go riding with the 'bent cyclists. Roadies have about tolerance for difference as Brown Shirts. I mean, you can't even mix roadies who prefer hi viz arm warmers with those who prefer long sleeve team kit types. Can't mix those who use bar end shifters with those running eTap. Can't mix those who like to average 32kph with those you like to average 31 kph. Although disc brakes embraced by one and all.
    This was actually a pretty stupid comment. Roadies don't like TT bikes because the handling (in a lot of riders' hands) makes them sketchy in tight packs. Roadies don't like being in a group with a rider out on the horns because, well, that's obvious. Beyond that, no one gives a *$#^ about brake type, shifter types, frame material, etc, etc.

My question was if anyone else is bothered by being drafted by a bike - that's leading with an ass-high exposed chainring.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    Strangely, cyclists have this complaint about car drivers -- they look for something shaped like them -- a car -- and don't see cyclists. Yes, if all you do is a 'shoulder check' to check for other uprights, you won't see the lowracer.
    Yeah, he's down and below. The first ride it was a bit scary because the "shoulder check" doesn't pick him up. Slowly getting used to him--and knowing he's back there, but I still worry that someone won't alter their "shoulder check," especially in a Wednesday Nights Worlds type situation.
    My blog about bicycling: http://offthebackweb.wordpress.com/

your god hates me
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    To be clear - it was this:

Dude, did you really just admit on the internet that you were afraid of that?!?!

Time to turn in your mancard. :::smh:::

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    This was actually a pretty stupid comment. Roadies don't like TT bikes because the handling (in a lot of riders' hands) makes them sketchy in tight packs. Roadies don't like being in a group with a rider out on the horns because, well, that's obvious. Beyond that, no one gives a *$#^ about brake type, shifter types, frame material, etc, etc.

My question was if anyone else is bothered by being drafted by a bike - that's leading with an ass-high exposed chainring.
    who was talking about TT bikes???? The topic is recumbents, silly

and oh yes indeed the eliteism snobbery is strong with the roadie more than any other kind of cyclist, as I've learned after over 40 years of living and riding with them, and being one myself. Cliquey beyond all reason

I would ride with a bent cyclist any day they like. just a bit odd when it comes to sharing the wind draft

RoadBikeReview Member
    The one rider of our group who sometimes rides his bent, always rides in front and we take turns drafting behind him. He's one of our stronger riders and is much faster on his bent than the rest of us. He also says he can't see if he's drafting behind someone. It's not like he can sit up higher to see over.

I never paid attention, but is any chain ring on a bent higher enough to even hit you in the ass?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Used to ride with a fairly strong bent rider in one of our groups.
    They're super-fast on the flats but you can't get a good draft off of them and once the road tilts up it's all over.
    The guy we rode would stay at the back most of the time but would come up front on long flat stretches then jump off the front prior to the hills so we'd all arrive at the top at the same time but riding next to one feels sketchy to me.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    I would ride with a bent cyclist any day they like. just a bit odd when it comes to sharing the wind draft
    My highracer gives a good draft -- if you're on a 52cm frame and don't mind riding in the drops. Which is to say, most of the guys in my group are too big to take advantage. So with that I usually only mix in on easy rides. Lowracers are another story entirely. They just don't mix.

My other bike has knobbys
    Riding with a 'bent (or handcycle for that matter) takes some getting used to....they are generally lower and harder to see in quick shoulder checks. Highracers are pretty decent and unless you ride has a fair bit of "up and down" they can tuck in and be easy to forget they are there. Lowboys...different beast...bloody quick on the flats, not much hope of drafting, but a lot slower on the climbs. It can be a bit unsettling seeing the chainring of a bent "right there", but I have yet to see anyone get hurt by one.

Handcycles, unless race models ridden by a serious athlete, are generally not something a road bike would need to worry about for drafting situations. I trained on one for a year and rode one in the Ride to Conquer Cancer for 2016. My arms are far more buff than they were, but trying to ride foothills on arm power takes a lot of work. I had a firm grasp on the Lantern Rouge ;) Don't get me wrong, handcyclists can be bloody fast on shorter rides with the right person cranking (as in will bury your average weekend warrior on an upright), but encountering that level of handcyclist is pretty rare (and deserving of huge respect).
    So 8 times wasn't enough and I'm going back again:my participant page for the 2017 Alberta Ride to Conquer Cancer.

12 Cervelo S2, 09 Knolly Delirium T, ?? Mercury Road Bike, signed '06 Gary Fisher Cake 2DLX

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Sometimes I ride bent, but it is rare. I like to keep my reflexes sharp when riding at high speed.
    BANNED

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12