Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Drafted by recumbent... NOPE

On a recent ride, six of us overtook a group of three - one of which was on a recumbent. They latched on for a mile or so (they fell off). But, while they were on - while I had a recumbent chainring right behind me, I gotta admit... I wasn't liking it. I felt like I was being followed by a guy with a chainsaw, albeit a slow, dull chainsaw.

That ^ may have influenced the lift in the pace... maybe.

So, irrational? Am I supposed be okay with recumbents in groups/pacelines?

a real member's member
    yeah, me too. recumbents are like prophetic autistics -- kids that can "see" or have the "shine" to them. really creepy stuff.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post

I don't know. I'm going to guess if they use disc brakes or not and their chain lube habits are important factors in deciding though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I take a small file and sharpen all the points!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    I can't tell you what to be okay with, but as far as rational analysis, the questions seem to be these:

- given similar skill levels, is a recumbent rider behind you any more likely to run into you than a rider on a conventional bike?

-if they do run into you, are you likely to suffer more harm than in the collision with the conventional bike?

I don't know the answers to those questions, but I think the analysis should proceed that way, rather than stopping at, "there's a scary-looking piece of metal behind me."

But I'm hardly the World's Foremost Authority (apologies to the late Professor Irwin Corey).
    "Lay me down like a stone, O God, and raise me up like a loaf." Platon Karataev, War and Peace Book XII

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Heh...I wouldn't have liked it either. Imagine that thing touching wheels with your bike!

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I borrowed my buddy's recumbent the other day. It had a pretty beefy chain guard on the front. I might still be leery if it was on my wheel.

BTW - I pipped some guy guy on a Cervelo at the top of a small KOM. I wonder how he felt about that?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post

BTW - I pipped some guy guy on a Cervelo at the top of a small KOM. I wonder how he felt about that?
    he probably was on a recovery ride and didn't know there was an imaginary race going on.

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    he probably was on a recovery ride and didn't know there was an imaginary race going on.
    Assuredly!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I always keep my big ring covered with the chain. But then I don't generally like to draft, either. It's too much like cheating to rely on someone else's work to go fast.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    while I had a recumbent chainring right behind me, I gotta admit... I wasn't liking it. I felt like I was being followed by a guy with a chainsaw, albeit a slow, dull chainsaw.
    You mean like a scene out of Mad Max?

I personally like this recumbent.

Drafted by recumbent... NOPE-velo.out.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Well it is a fact that more innocent cyclists are killed by recumbents than by all other causes combined. Seems like a hardly a day goes by when I don't see a dead cyclist laying on the trail with recumbent saw marks on his bleeding ass.

So yes, your fear is rational and you should be very afraid.
    On a recent ride, six of us overtook a group of three - one of which was on a recumbent. They latched on for a mile or so (they fell off). But, while they were on - while I had a recumbent chainring right behind me, I gotta admit... I wasn't liking it. I felt like I was being followed by a guy with a chainsaw, albeit a slow, dull chainsaw.

That ^ may have influenced the lift in the pace... maybe.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    I don't like anyone that I don't know and trust drafting behind me, no matter what kind of bike they ride, so I have a perfect fix - I ride too slowly for them to draft me!
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    Well it is a fact that more innocent cyclists are killed by recumbents than by all other causes combined. Seems like a hardly a day goes by when I don't see a dead cyclist laying on the trail with recumbent saw marks on his bleeding ass.

​**snicker***
    I'm upping my standards;
    Up yours!

RoadBikeReview Member

Smartass.

To be clear - it was this:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    The guy is riding down hill in his small ring--leaving the buzz saw exposed. Very suspicious behavior!

Smartass.

To be clear - it was this:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I don't like strangers jumping on my wheel, and being a tall rider, I tend to attract them like flies on the MUT, especially on windy days.

Having that chainring spinning behind me would surely increase my discomfort.

Now, if I were on a group ride with people I knew and was comfortable riding with, that's a somewhat different story.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    I don't like strangers jumping on my wheel, and being a tall rider, I tend to attract them like flies on the MUT, especially on windy days.
    There was a rider in front of me couple years ago and he had the plumber's crack. Nothing made me get out of a spot faster.

Shorts with fake one drawn in may work for you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    There's a guy in the extended group I ride with who just switched over to a recumbent. I don't like it. Even though he stays in the back, there are times when it's hard to see him--he's low and it's hard to check for him, etc.
    My blog about bicycling: http://offthebackweb.wordpress.com/

xxl

This also applies to those people who get all sketchy over folks riding aerobars in pacelines.

I mean, heck, how often do they really ever crash, amirite?
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Fecal indicator
    meh, there are several bent riders on my regular route...

if you don't want them on your wheel, all you have to do is ride faster than 12 mph.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    I rode with Jetze Plat in Girona for a short stretch last year. I couldn't keep up. And he pedaled with his arms, which are bigger than many people's legs

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabondcyclist View Post
    There's a guy in the extended group I ride with who just switched over to a recumbent. I don't like it. Even though he stays in the back, there are times when it's hard to see him--he's low and it's hard to check for him, etc.
    Strangely, cyclists have this complaint about car drivers -- they look for something shaped like them -- a car -- and don't see cyclists. Yes, if all you do is a 'shoulder check' to check for other uprights, you won't see the lowracer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    There are several recumbent riders in my club. I occasionally pass gas & it seems to keep them off my wheel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikephelps View Post
    There are several recumbent riders in my club. I occasionally pass gas & it seems to keep them off my wheel.
    Either you have the ability to make really potent "bomb" or the ride was slow enough not to dissipate it much in the wind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast