RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013

Dura-Ace 9100 components hard to find?

I've been looking for online retailers selling the 9120 shifter/hydraulic brake lever with the caliper and disc. No one seems to sell it. In fact, I can't seem to find anyone who carries the shifter/lever by itself.

Am I missing something? Shouldn't this be an easy product to find?

Adorable Furry Hombre
    They're probably having problems meeting demand for OEMs.

Same story as happens with the new Di2 parts each and every generation. I was curious what the new brake rotors cost, only Ultegra RT800 is listed anywhere-with availability not until September.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

Neophyte
    Common when a new line comes out, you may have to exercise patience but also keep asking around and one might pop up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Or, you know, just use the same kind of brakes that have worked fine for decades.
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Hey look, OldChipper is here, reminding us all that he doesn't think we should use Disc Brakes.. You know - just in case we forgot the other three hundred times he's told us.

Re: 9100 availability. I saw that Wiggle was selling some complete groupsets (not sure if it was disc or rim, or Di2 or mechanical).. you might check there.

Most people are saying that their sources are telling them late July for most of the new Dura Ace stuff. I would imagine that once it does start shipping to LBS's, the first arrivals will be destined for folks who pre-ordered, or who have purchased new bikes and negotiated OEM upgrades(I know a few who are awaiting delivery of bikes pending upgrades to 91xx components).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    Hey look, OldChipper is here, reminding us all that he doesn't think we should use Disc Brakes.. You know - just in case we forgot the other three hundred times he's told us.

Re: 9100 availability. I saw that Wiggle was selling some complete groupsets (not sure if it was disc or rim, or Di2 or mechanical).. you might check there.

Most people are saying that their sources are telling them late July for most of the new Dura Ace stuff. I would imagine that once it does start shipping to LBS's, the first arrivals will be destined for folks who pre-ordered, or who have purchased new bikes and negotiated OEM upgrades(I know a few who are awaiting delivery of bikes pending upgrades to 91xx components).
    Honestly? I can respect his position on disc brakes on road bikes. Many of the developments for road bikes I think are absolutely useless crap: integrated headsets, bb30 and pressfit 30 bottom brackets, 30mm crank spindles, through-axle, integrated seatposts, etc.

And to be honest, I don't think disc brakes are particularly useful for road bikes per se, but road wheels today have a problem that is remiedied by disc brakes: most of road wheels are made out of carbon fiber, and carbon fiber makes for a lousy braking surface for rim brakes - especially in damp conditions. Disc brakes make for a nice solution.

As for the Shimano 9100 parts, yeah, it looks like I'm gonna have to wait!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    Hey, I'm not the one bringing up all the problems with them; I'm just offering the obvious solution.
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChipper View Post
    Hey, I'm not the one bringing up all the problems with them; I'm just offering the obvious solution.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChipper View Post
    Or, you know, just use the same kind of brakes that have worked fine for decades.
    Perfectly well said.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
    . . road wheels today have a problem that is remiedied by disc brakes: most of road wheels are made out of carbon fiber . .
    Wrong. Marketing brought carbon rims to the masses (clinchers) and created a problem for mountain dwellers, so marketing again, brings more useless crap (road disc brakes). And most wheels are aluminum I'd suspect. There is no benefit to carbon wheels for 99% of the riding/racing population. A set of Campy Shamals is all anyone needs.