Perkiomen Trail Rider
    Jun 2004

Dura Ace WH-7850-C24 CL or HED Ardennes?

I have the opportunity to pick up a new set of wheels for my Moots Vamoots to replace the Shimano Dura Ace WH-7800 wheelset that was damaged beyond repair when I was hit by a car while riding on March 1. I had initially planned to get the well-reviewed Dura Ace WH-7850-C24 CL carbon-composite wheelset, but have also read a couple of great reviews of the HED Ardennes wheels. I am 6' 187 lbs. and plan to use the wheels for weekend rides of 50-75 miles and shorter rides during the week. I don't race, but I do ride hard. If you were in my situation, which would you choose?
    Last edited by attybiker; 05-13-2010 at 07:27 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    I'd try the Ardennes with Stan's yellow tape and tubeless tires, run at 85/90 psi. Should be a sweet ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    The recommended weight limit on the Heds is 190. Personally I wouldn't choose a wheel rated only three pounds above my weight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Stamper
    The recommended weight limit on the Heds is 190. Personally I wouldn't choose a wheel rated only three pounds above my weight.
    If you're really worried about the weight, you could go with the stallion build which is rated to 225. On the other hand, I know a couple of people who ride the standard builds at 205-210; Hed is reputed to be very conservative with their weight limits.
    As long as you have the sex and drugs, you don't really need the rock and roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumbod
    If you're really worried about the weight, you could go with the stallion build which is rated to 225. On the other hand, I know a couple of people who ride the standard builds at 205-210; Hed is reputed to be very conservative with their weight limits.
    yeah good point. I forgot about that build option.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    I can't say much for the HED's except I waited 4 weeks for my Bastones and HED failed to come through on two promised ship dates. I went ahead and had my LBS order me the Dura Ace 7850 C24 TLs, they arrived in 2 days! I have about 500+ miles on them currently and I weigh 230-240 pounds and have had zero problems. The ride is fantastic! Word straight from the Shimano rep's mouth when asked about weight limit was " We would not build a wheel if we had to place a weight limit on it ". So far hes right since my fat a$$ has not broke a spoke or untrued either wheel. I relize I have the TL and you are looking at the CL but the only diffrence is mine has no tube.

Enjoy!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    The DA 7850 wheels and the HED Ardennes are possibly the two best all around aero wheels made. I went with the DA wheels for the lighter rims and of course the DA hubs. As stated...the Shimano wheels do not have a weight limit. I'm 190+ and have had no issues. I would recommend buying the tubeless version...the 7850 C24 TL.

Perkiomen Trail Rider
    Jun 2004
    Thanks very much for your replies. I think that I will be going with the DA for my Moots and probably getting an Ardennes Stallion build for my Seven tourer.