Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    I'm glad I'm not much into MTB, I don't see these things being stopped outside of law enforcement. No way to keep them off of your trails. I can see how a traditional MTBer would not like this one bit, but I don't think there's a choice. It's coming fast and hard to trails near you.

Being a roadie I couldn't care less. Strava KOMs are a joke for many reasons and this will just be one more to add to it. So they really can't piss me off at all, they can do whatever they want and it won't impact me any.

As for people that ride in the city or congested areas or on MUTs or whatever, it'll be a problem for you for sure. Actually, I might be the only type of cyclist this won't have a negative impact on.
    I can see Strava creating a "zwift" category, "ebike" category, and then there will be the ultimate one "zwift + ebike" where you can train on your ebike in virtual reality, imagine the potential

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    It's great that, considering their speed, you can successfully determine their "skill set"? Would you post a link to this wireless skillometer that you use? Without one, I fear that I'll soon be weaving to avoid dead cyclists and e-bikes.

I would not know about their skill set. Maybe the rider was a very skilled rider before he/she became to ill or overweight to ride a regular bike. But skills or not I figure that I want a motorized bike to stay away from me whether I am riding my bicycle, hiking or pushing a grocery cart in a parking lot. To me it's the same thing as a car, motorcycle, horse or whatever. I want some distance. I do not care if someone wants to zoom around on the ridiculous thing as it's up to them. However if one whacks into me then I will call the Police. That's the deal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    I'm glad I'm not much into MTB, I don't see these things being stopped outside of law enforcement. No way to keep them off of your trails. I can see how a traditional MTBer would not like this one bit, but I don't think there's a choice. It's coming fast and hard to trails near you.
    this issue has whole different set of implications though. Mtn Bikers are beset from all sides with limited access pressures. So the ebike mtn bike idea just piles on more negative pressure onto the typical lobbying effort mtn bikers have to engage in just to have a place to ride off road.

It is very different in the big cycling cities on roads, bike lanes and MUT, with councils and mayor keen to promote cycling for commuting and fitness. In ALL of these cities where there is the highest participation in cycling - ebikes are allowed AND there has been zero difficulty mingling with everyone else. ebikes are a total non issue in my city, which is already a cycling mad city. Been used widely on our infrastructure for 15 years now. Sky aint fallen yet

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Please do post video of an e-bike moving forward without pedaling in any situation where it would be required on a regular bike.

I'm thinking that you may want to consider drinking more water.[
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    its an arbitrage. rules, licensing and permits are friendlier to e-bikes than they are to mopeds. if the law was indifferent i don't think you'd see much of a market preference one way or the other.

and i think the e-bikes are a hazzard. where i am at the delivery guys are cruising at 20 mph without effort on the sidewalk and you have people in the bike lanes using them not pedaling, extremely quiet going through red light and stop signs. only a matter of time before some high profile accidents happen. and unlike regular bikes the riders of these vehicles often don't have good cycling skills. i've seen riders try to squeeze in between vehicles only to have the rider stopped at a vehicle and the bike keep going.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeLayne View Post
    I would not know about their skill set. Maybe the rider was a very skilled rider before he/she became to ill or overweight to ride a regular bike. But skills or not I figure that I want a motorized bike to stay away from me whether I am riding my bicycle, hiking or pushing a grocery cart in a parking lot. To me it's the same thing as a car, motorcycle, horse or whatever. I want some distance. I do not care if someone wants to zoom around on the ridiculous thing as it's up to them. However if one whacks into me then I will call the Police. That's the deal.
    I would suggest you do the same if any cyclist or other vehicle "whacks into" you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    I would suggest you do the same if any cyclist or other vehicle "whacks into" you.
    I would for sure. Little chance of getting whacked by an ebike anyway as there are none around.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think it will be awhile before you see Dura Ace Di-E

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Please do post video of an e-bike moving forward without pedaling in any situation where it would be required on a regular bike.

I'm thinking that you may want to consider drinking more water.[
    Some e-bikes are throttle-controlled, not pedal assist.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Some e-bikes are throttle-controlled, not pedal assist.
    yebbut they're not legal in most places. not that it really matters imho.

truth is, I have an ebike I put together myself 10 years ago. ride it maybe twice a year, partly cause it is throttle controlled. I might use it more for errands if it was pedal-controlled actually. the throttle is harder to modulate to match the pedalling, and I think I'd prefer it pedalling-controlled.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post

truth is, I have an ebike I put together myself 10 years ago. ride it maybe twice a year, partly cause it is throttle controlled. I might use it more for errands if it was pedal-controlled actually. the throttle is harder to modulate to match the pedalling, and I think I'd prefer it pedalling-controlled.
    They are actually legal in a lot of places which is only expanding. The bike industry is pushing to make Class 1 & 2 ebikes legal on bike paths/MUTs nationwide. Their goal is to have uniform regs in place everywhere to encourage people to use them as transportation/recreation. Local jurisdiction are allowed to opt out, but I doubt you'll see much of that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Please do post video of an e-bike moving forward without pedaling in any situation where it would be required on a regular bike. [
    Hahahaha Really? There's thousands of videos online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbiN...0gSrRoVr7qhZKm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEdETIjfngo

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    I'm not so sure that is the case. I've looked over the laws in about a dozen states, and I don't see any cases in those where pedal-assist is allowed and throttle-control is not. Not saying it does not happen, but I don't think it is most of the cases. It would surprise me if many state laws would keep up this fast with the technology.

The newer throttle controllers are really nice in how intuitive they make the throttle control over the motor. I rode a powerful electric cargo bike that could do about 45-50mph on a flat (I did not try this myself), but at low speeds it was not touchy at all. Floor it from a stop the acceleration was very controlled and smooth. Of course, this e-bike looks just like any other e-bike, and I expect the reality of e-bikes is that most people who keep riding them are going have them modified in similar ways as it becomes easier and more accessible to non-enthusiasts. I mean, as batteries improve, who WOULDN'T want one that was more powerful?

RoadBikeReview Member
    more powerful = shorter range. also more power encourages less pedalling.

also very clear that the rules in the US limit output to 750W max rated power. Here in BC it is 500W, in many Euro countries it is 250 W. But then in north america we can justify the higher power limits .. BMI A tiny person on any ebike is going to have a great time - faster, further range experience

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123