RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006

Elite Direto's uphill resistance incredibly tough

Greetings everyone, I am hoping this is the right section of the forum to post in and that there might be other Elite Direto users that can help me.

I have just picked up an Elite Direto and am using a Garmin Edge 820 to control the unit.

The problem is on any recorded course I have done on the Edge 820 when I use it with the direto the slightest uphill change is incredibly tough. For "hills" that should be well under 1% they feel like a real world 10% or hitting a brick wall

Is there any sort of calibration that needs to be done to make it cyclable?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bits View Post
    Greetings everyone, I am hoping this is the right section of the forum to post in and that there might be other Elite Direto users that can help me.

I have just picked up an Elite Direto and am using a Garmin Edge 820 to control the unit.

The problem is on any recorded course I have done on the Edge 820 when I use it with the direto the slightest uphill change is incredibly tough. For "hills" that should be well under 1% they feel like a real world 10% or hitting a brick wall

I've never tried a 'course' from an Edge computer, only set resistance which is in steps of 10% increment. I use Zwift on a Drivo and it works great. Elite has a great forum for you to ask questions, try them out. Elite forum - Index page
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bits View Post

I think this has more to do with 820 then the trainer it self.

Make sure you have trainer paired as the FE-C standard, what you may have to do is correct the route on some other means strava, ridwithgps.com, or garmins. On a raw file, from the 820 it might think you hit a 10% grade for a second because of changes in barometric pressure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not sure what software you are using but there is a bug/feature with the Real Video play back where it fails to convert your profile weight in pounds to kilos. As a result the resistance is 4-5X what it should be. You might try changing your profile to use kilos and enter your weight in kilos and see if that changes anything.

jkc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Had the same experience with my Edge 510, Golden Cheetah, Zwift, and Real when I first got the Drivo. Thought I was going crazy until I realized it was the cadence that was causing it. It doesn't like low cadences and goes into a death spiral. Been on Zwift since. The Drivo, probably the same for the Directo, is very sensitive to any power/cadence fluctuation. I learn to live with it but recently they updated the myETraining app and you can set the trainer's power smoothing. I got it a 3 and it's behaving better. Still don't like ERG.