Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 177
  1. #26
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,672
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    The disc hater thing is funny, and seemingly fact-proof.
    Yes, amusing how something like this is a religion for so many.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

    "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

    "Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger



  2. #27
    The Slow One.
    Reputation: Alaska Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,503
    I'm not a disc hater, I'm just waiting for a real standard for road discs to emerge and solidify. That's the real obstacle for the pro ranks. QR or thru axle? 160mm vs 140mm? Eventually finding someone to perform neutral support is going to be near-impossible because of all of the standards they will have to carry on the cars.

    UCI needs to step up and say, "this is the standard wheel configuration" and be done with it. However, they won't, because the manufacturers can't agree.

    If I was a pro rider in this environment, I wouldn't want them either. Not because of the "safety issues", but because of very practical considerations related to serviceability in a race. I've had brake rub in a 'cross race when I was forced to use a wheel that wasn't aligned with my calipers. I finished, but my race was over. You can't quickly remedy that on the fly like you can with a caliper brake. Even hydraulic calipers only self-adjust so much. Then there's different rotor standards (2-piece, 1-piece, centerlock, 6-bolt) which can throw a monkey wrench in things.

    We're at a transition point, and to expect rapid change without clearly-defined standards is stupid. We'll get there, but the last real advancement was the derailleur, and that's been a few years ago from what I recall. The rest has been refinements (some larger than others), that didn't require nearly the same effort to support. Unlike cassette changes (9 to 10 to 11 speed), this affects both front and rear wheels.

    Make a standard, come up with an accurate and easy-to-use jig for rotor alignment, and move forward. Don't let the manufacturers dictate this, because they're looking to push product with forced obsolescence and their own ideas.

    That said, disc brakes are spinning death blades.

  3. #28
    Forever a Student
    Reputation: MMsRepBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
    I'm not a disc hater, I'm just waiting for a real standard for road discs to emerge and solidify. That's the real obstacle for the pro ranks. QR or thru axle? 160mm vs 140mm? Eventually finding someone to perform neutral support is going to be near-impossible because of all of the standards they will have to carry on the cars.

    UCI needs to step up and say, "this is the standard wheel configuration" and be done with it. However, they won't, because the manufacturers can't agree.

    If I was a pro rider in this environment, I wouldn't want them either. Not because of the "safety issues", but because of very practical considerations related to serviceability in a race. I've had brake rub in a 'cross race when I was forced to use a wheel that wasn't aligned with my calipers. I finished, but my race was over. You can't quickly remedy that on the fly like you can with a caliper brake. Even hydraulic calipers only self-adjust so much. Then there's different rotor standards (2-piece, 1-piece, centerlock, 6-bolt) which can throw a monkey wrench in things.

    We're at a transition point, and to expect rapid change without clearly-defined standards is stupid. We'll get there, but the last real advancement was the derailleur, and that's been a few years ago from what I recall. The rest has been refinements (some larger than others), that didn't require nearly the same effort to support. Unlike cassette changes (9 to 10 to 11 speed), this affects both front and rear wheels.

    Make a standard, come up with an accurate and easy-to-use jig for rotor alignment, and move forward. Don't let the manufacturers dictate this, because they're looking to push product with forced obsolescence and their own ideas.

    That said, disc brakes are spinning death blades.
    Get out of here with your thinking and sense... not welcome! Sad!

    You're missing the point.
    use a torque wrench

  4. #29
    flinty-eyed moderator
    Reputation: Coolhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    12,613
    On the UCI front, this has become a political issue for the Riders Association to establish a seat at the table as they can see sponsors want to use the latest and greatest stuff. They feel (quite rightly) that the UCI, ASO and the other promoters have ignored them and general rider safety at times and that this is one of the few issues with real money behind it. Some of the better stories in this area allude to this. Given how dangerous some of the euro road furniture has become, and how bad fan control is at certain races I get the motivation.

  5. #30
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    382
    I agree that there needs to be a standard adopted to make neutral support manageable, I'd imagine it will be thru axles, 160mm front, 140mm rear, and a measured offset for the rotors themselves. The are all supposed to be in the same place, but there is some variance. If the support wheels were all calibrated at Xmm out from center, you can be sure your team mechanics would set yours at the same.

    Tolerances have gotten better over the years, I can swap wheels between bikes now without any rubbing, in the past that wasn't the case.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
    Then there's different rotor standards (2-piece, 1-piece, centerlock, 6-bolt) which can throw a monkey wrench in things.
    I don't see why that has any bearing on swapping wheels? All that matters is the rotor thickness is the @ the same and in the same position.

  6. #31
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,774
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
    That said, disc brakes are spinning death blades.
    Now I see how Marcel Kittel dominated Tour of Dubai this year. During the final sprint, others didn't want to get too close his disc brake equipped bike so they let him pull away!

    The end of the deadly disc debate.-54f80a60fd248d272e77d505323142ac.jpg

  7. #32
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,672
    Let's just start by saying I have no strong opinions about rim vs. disc brakes. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

    So let's move on to this argument of disc brakes being inherently dangerous because in motion, they act like a circular saw ready to slice off unsuspecting body parts. Really?? I am really perplexed by this argument unless it is solely for humor. The shoe is the only thing that may inadvertently come in contact with the disc and as you all saw in the video, it took quite awhile just to penetrate the shoe. In reality, is sticking a body part in the way of a spinning disc any more likely than sticking it in between spokes? And I think we can conclude that sticking your shoe in between spokes while the bike is in motion could be much more catastrophic than sticking your shoe in the way of the disc. Do we need to ban spokes too? Seriously, if you are that stupid, nothing in the world is going to save you.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

    "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

    "Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger



  8. #33
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Notvintage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,026

    Nairo Speaks the Truth. .

    Disc brakes on road bikes is pure marketing gimmick. . .
    Quintana: Disc brakes are heavier, less aero, and dangerous | Cyclingnews.com

  9. #34
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    23,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    Disc brakes on road bikes is pure marketing gimmick. . .
    Quintana: Disc brakes are heavier, less aero, and dangerous | Cyclingnews.com

    One only need to look as far as the long history of severed limbs and the rampant trend of disc-brake based murders, in both MTB and CX, to see the wisdom of tiny little Nairo.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

  10. #35
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,197
    Agreed.

    In before the old and frail 50+ year olds complain about their week hand strength riding their slow ass Ti bikes.

  11. #36
    tlg
    tlg is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    9,955
    LMAO

    Firstly because they don't actually brake all that well.
    CLEARLY he has no clue what he's talking about.

    Secondly, it makes the bike less aerodynamic.
    Yet riders keep winning races on bikes with disc.

    Thirdly, they're much heavier.
    Again.... CLEARLY he has no clue what he's talking about. They're not "much" heavier. And with the UCI weight limit, it's irrelevant. Most bikes are under the limit and weight is added to make them compliant.

    Lastly, there's the danger they pose in a peloton of more than 100 riders.
    Myth that keeps getting busted.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  12. #37
    Forever a Student
    Reputation: MMsRepBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,462
    We'll see at the Giro.

    Been saying this for two years now.

    The Giro has the bad weather, it has the nasty descents, it has the three week long, every second counts nature, it has it all. The Giro is the perfect showcase for disc brakes and those riding discs will make their advantage very clear come May.
    use a torque wrench

  13. #38
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    604
    disc brakes sound like a great pairing with carbon clinchers

  14. #39
    Forever a Student
    Reputation: MMsRepBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed_Metal View Post
    disc brakes sound like a great pairing with carbon clinchers
    You are very correct. For sure the strongest argument for them.
    use a torque wrench

  15. #40
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BCSaltchucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    Disc brakes on road bikes is pure marketing gimmick. . .
    Quintana: Disc brakes are heavier, less aero, and dangerous | Cyclingnews.com
    he speaks out of his butt .. again and again actually. He's way more respected speaking with his legs, finishing with a smile. Too often a silly whiner, like in the article, or when he complains about power meters, or spews excuses for his Tour performances, and complaining about the Tour de France organizers because it was too windy (stage 11)

    tlg is right on
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 02-27-2017 at 02:59 PM.

  16. #41
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,344
    It's a fantasy to think the UCI will not come up with another excuse just prior to the Giro. As in the past, it will not matter how lame it is. Campy clearly has not got their sh!t together on discs and they own the UCI's decision making process.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    We'll see at the Giro.

    Been saying this for two years now.

    The Giro has the bad weather, it has the nasty descents, it has the three week long, every second counts nature, it has it all. The Giro is the perfect showcase for disc brakes and those riding discs will make their advantage very clear come May.

  17. #42
    Forever a Student
    Reputation: MMsRepBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,462
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    It's a fantasy to think the UCI will not come up with another excuse just prior to the Giro. As in the past, it will not matter how lame it is. Campy clearly has not got their sh!t together on discs and they own the UCI's decision making process.
    I have a thread just for you in the pro forum.
    use a torque wrench

  18. #43
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,753
    According to this news report disc brakes look to be quite dangerous.

    The end of the deadly disc debate.-disc-brake-2.jpg
    Too old to ride plastic

  19. #44
    a real member's member
    Reputation: blackfrancois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2,645
    ^ "cyclist looses control"?
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

  20. #45
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    23,890
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    according to this news report disc brakes look to be quite dangerous.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	disc brake 2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	318104
    lmfao
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

  21. #46
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,024

    Pro cyclists still against disc brkes in peleton


  22. #47
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,471
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    According to this news report disc brakes look to be quite dangerous.
    hehe, nice one

  23. #48
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    240
    Agreed. He is a great rider who I wish would just stay quiet. His constant whining is a big let down and counter intuitive given his stoic expression on the bike.

    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    he speaks out of his butt .. again and again actually. He's way more respected speaking with his legs, finishing with a smile. Too often a silly whiner, like in the article, or when he complains about power meters, or spews excuses for his Tour performances, and complaining about the Tour de France organizers because it was too windy (stage 11)

    tlg is right on

  24. #49
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    232
    Here's what I know: I don't care what some pro rider thinks or uses. When I have ridden bikes with them, I like them.

  25. #50
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,344
    In this case you're right. He rides for a team that is sponsored by campy--the one component manufacturer that has yet to figure out how to make and market disc brakes.

    He's likely paid well to hate disc brakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    Disc brakes on road bikes is pure marketing gimmick. . .
    Quintana: Disc brakes are heavier, less aero, and dangerous | Cyclingnews.com

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Disc brake review...not debate
    By Opus51569 in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 02-22-2017, 09:42 AM
  2. Debate: Will tonight's GOP/FOX debate be softball?
    By troutmd in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 153
    Last Post: 11-15-2015, 09:07 AM
  3. The great disc debate
    By Rashadabd in forum Cyclocross
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 11-10-2012, 02:25 PM
  4. POTUS debate #2 pre-debate thread: what strategies?
    By QuiQuaeQuod in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-16-2012, 10:53 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-16-2012, 07:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •