Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    In this case you're right. He rides for a team that is sponsored by campy--the one component manufacturer that has yet to figure out how to make and market disc brakes.

He's likely paid well to hate disc brakes.
    Why should I believe that he's paid to hate disc brakes but not that Boonen is paid to like disc brakes?
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    There are currently three threads on this subject with active posts.

Two more and we'll have five too many

RoadBikeReview Member

edit - after the merge, this meme is very out of context, fwiw (was a reply to having 5 disk-in-the-pros threads alive at once)
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 03-01-2017 at 12:08 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I give the riders enough credit to think they speak honestly, not being paid to sell their opinion on disk brakes ... though I also consider they have about as much knowledge on the subject as anyone posting or lurking on here, or perhaps as much as a barista at Starbucks.

The Slow One.
    Quote Originally Posted by harryman View Post
    I don't see why that has any bearing on swapping wheels? All that matters is the rotor thickness is the @ the same and in the same position.
    Some calipers don't play well with two piece and centerlock rotors. Different manufacturers have different tolerances, and they don't always mesh seamlessly, even when they're supposed to be interchangeable. It's still early, and all of the players are jockeying to be the new universal standard that everyone has to follow.

It's not all cut and dried yet like bottom bracket standar... whoops.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I didn't realize anyone was making a top tier professional quality road hydraulic disc brake caliper besides Shimano.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Morfeeis View Post
    https://youtu.be/Wci05Ayn7CI

To me this video proves that the spokes are no more dangerous than the disc on a bike. When that cucumber got shot into the spokes it shredded that thing far worse than anything else the disc did. Add to that the Abu Dhabi sliced shoe is now confirmed as complete BS.
    add heat to that demonstration and the results might be quite different. those rotors can heat up and a spinning hot object may act quite different. also despite that banana being unharmed i'd not be willing to try that out with my own flesh. call that skepticism or call it common sense...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    UCI has already mandated 160mm rotors and 12mm TA's for neutral service. Anything else and you are on your own.

Darling of The Lounge
    I hope Nairo has sent his family into hiding before his blasphemy causes the disc brake mafia to seek revenge.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TmB123 View Post
    UCI has already mandated 160mm rotors and 12mm TA's for neutral service. Anything else and you are on your own.
    Interesting. Shimano only makes 15mm TA's at the moment.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

flinty-eyed moderator

Moderators Note

One disc thread to rule them all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    add heat to that demonstration and the results might be quite different. those rotors can heat up and a spinning hot object may act quite different.
    Pro riders would not be using the brakes enough for heat buildup to be a significant issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    add heat to that demonstration and the results might be quite different. those rotors can heat up and a spinning hot object may act quite different. also despite that banana being unharmed i'd not be willing to try that out with my own flesh. call that skepticism or call it common sense...
    Unless there is a crash right after the entry to a corner at the bottom of a big technical descent, the rotors are unlikely to be that hot, and they cool down pretty quick. Most crashes appear to occur because there is no time to hit the brakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Because there are many Professionals who ride Shimano/Sram and are on both sides of the disc brake debate and few Campy riders who dare promote them?

That will all change if campy ever figures out that it's time to enter the 21st century.

Incidentally, I was a big campy fan and have a tarmac s-works sl3 that hangs on my den wall with super record. I would still be riding campy if they'd pulled their head out 3 1/2 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Why should I believe that he's paid to hate disc brakes but not that Boonen is paid to like disc brakes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    Because there are many Professionals who ride Shimano/Sram and are on both sides of the disc brake debate and few Campy riders who dare promote them?

That will all change if campy ever figures out that it's time to enter the 21st century.

Incidentally, I was a big campy fan and have a tarmac s-works sl3 that hangs on my den wall with super record. I would still be riding campy if they'd pulled their head out 3 1/2 years ago.
    Sure, Shimano has both disc and rim brakes on the market, but the disc brakes are getting the big push\promotion, so it would behoove Shimano to have someone of Boonens caliber promote the disc brakes. So a few bucks out of the advertising budget into his pocket is money well spent.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Interesting. Shimano only makes 15mm TA's at the moment.
    I don't think they actually do a Pro level road disc wheelset at the moment, do they? not even sure if any of their road hubs have a disc option either?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TmB123 View Post
    I don't think they actually do a Pro level road disc wheelset at the moment, do they? not even sure if any of their road hubs have a disc option either?
    New Dura-ace wheelsets with 12mm thru-axle

Shimano Introduces New DURA-ACE R9100 Road Components, Integrated Technologies

Don't know if they are on sale yet

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
    New Dura-ace wheelsets with 12mm thru-axle

Shimano Introduces New DURA-ACE R9100 Road Components, Integrated Technologies

Don't know if they are on sale yet

On Shimano's website, they list the HB-RS770 and FH-RS770 as road disc hubs with 12mm TAs and 100 OLD front/142 OLD rear. However, I don't see these for sale anywhere. Could they be that new?

Shimano isn't known for updating their website in a timely manner, so I'm surprised.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    If I'm not mistaken, the UCI did agree on a standard.

Beyond that, If Mavics neutral service states that we are going to carry standard "x" only, then those who care about neutral service will comply. It's really not that difficult.

Also, I believe cycling would benefit greatly if neutral service was eliminated entirely. The technology exists to make flats pretty much a thing of the past--one of the primary services provided by neutral service. The desire to race on bikes/components with a reputation for durability would be increased without them. Perhaps the focus of innovation would be redirected to something more beneficial to consumers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
    I'm not a disc hater, I'm just waiting for a real standard for road discs to emerge and solidify. That's the real obstacle for the pro ranks. QR or thru axle? 160mm vs 140mm? Eventually finding someone to perform neutral support is going to be near-impossible because of all of the standards they will have to carry on the cars.

UCI needs to step up and say, "this is the standard wheel configuration" and be done with it. However, they won't, because the manufacturers can't agree.

If I was a pro rider in this environment, I wouldn't want them either. Not because of the "safety issues", but because of very practical considerations related to serviceability in a race. I've had brake rub in a 'cross race when I was forced to use a wheel that wasn't aligned with my calipers. I finished, but my race was over. You can't quickly remedy that on the fly like you can with a caliper brake. Even hydraulic calipers only self-adjust so much. Then there's different rotor standards (2-piece, 1-piece, centerlock, 6-bolt) which can throw a monkey wrench in things.

We're at a transition point, and to expect rapid change without clearly-defined standards is stupid. We'll get there, but the last real advancement was the derailleur, and that's been a few years ago from what I recall. The rest has been refinements (some larger than others), that didn't require nearly the same effort to support. Unlike cassette changes (9 to 10 to 11 speed), this affects both front and rear wheels.

Make a standard, come up with an accurate and easy-to-use jig for rotor alignment, and move forward. Don't let the manufacturers dictate this, because they're looking to push product with forced obsolescence and their own ideas.

That said, disc brakes are spinning death blades.

Forever a Student
    Peter Sagan against disc brakes in a mixed peloton | Cyclingnews.com

I bet Specialized is pissed off. In fact I know at least a few there are.

use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Peter Sagan against disc brakes in a mixed peloton | Cyclingnews.com

I bet Specialized is pissed off. In fact I know at least a few there are.

His argument is a good one...

When asked by Cyclingnews if he will use disc brakes in Strade Bianche, he said: "I don't think I'll use them…"

When asked to explain why, he added: "There's a reason. I agree with using disc brakes if everyone in the peloton uses them - not only
    a few people."

Asked if it was for safety reasons, he said: "No, not for safety. Safety left cycling a while ago..."

Sagan later confirmed to Cyclingnews that the risk of losing time - and perhaps a race - due to a slow wheel or bike change was
    his biggest concern.
    Too old to ride plastic

Forever a Student
    His argument is the same as mine has been and the same as most every pro's has been all along.

Do it right or don't do it at all. If you're going to force them to ride disc brakes, standardize it correctly.

Stop with this half-assed ridiculous nonsense.

I'm glad I can ride whatever I want, sucks being them if you ask me.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    gotta love Sagan. Says what he wants, and means what he says. refreshing

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    gotta love Sagan. Says what he wants, and means what he says. refreshing
    Yeah, and he's Eastern European and the "Rainbow Curse" has no meaning to him.
    Too old to ride plastic

Forever a Student
    Disc brake debate continues as Cannondale use discs at Strade Bianche | Cyclingnews.com

Interesting.

Cannondale used discs today. They claim a couple things.

First, that it's the UCI's problem and their problem alone if there is an issue.

Second, they're being pressured by Cannondale to use them, and that they have to push them forward. But they're also getting pressure by their fellow riders not to use them. They've decided to side with their sponsor.

Oddly enough, Quick Step announced they would not use disc brakes, but they say it's because they don't have any new Roubaix frames, that Specialized never provided them. They say that Specialized has provided only the Venge in disc format and they want them to ride that in the classics. Quick Step is claiming now that the Venge is not suitable to ride in classics terrain so instead they're opting to use rim brake bikes.

Vittoria, who will be providing neutral service, will be carrying disc brake wheels with them. But there's still no standard on bikes of hub spacing, retention, rotor spacing, rotor size, etc. So even if they're there, they could still be useless.

As a good example is Cannondale, seeing how they're for sure going to be on discs. Their front is a 160mm rotor and proprietary thru axle. Their rear is 140mm rotor and a quick release. Far from the agreed upon standard.

And RCS sport is getting pissed now. They've called on the UCI to get their shite together.

“If something happens, it’s the UCI’s problem, not mine. I say that because I think they’ve decided things too quickly. Last year they started a trial and then had to change their minds. That means there is a problem. If they can’t understand that, that’s another serious problem.”

Edit: Cannondale is basically going all in. UCI says it's okay so they're doing it, they don't care what anyone has to say about it.

“Cannondale and Slipstream Sports came up with a disc-brake plan for the season, which includes different bike races throughout the year,” said Cannondale-Drapac sport director Andreas Klier. “In all of those races we will use disc brakes for the entire team, not just several riders. We are looking forward to use this year’s Vuelta a Andalucia as our debut race. We are keen to enjoy its advantages and together with Cannondale, we will use the riders’ feedback for upcoming disc brake race events.”
    Unless the UCI stops them, they'll be on discs.

Good for them. Now we can all see it play out, no matter what. At least Cannondale will be using them throughout the year, you can bet money that Specialized teams will too. I don't see why other teams won't join in that want to like they did last year. And then we'll have Sky at least not using them, so we'll have the mixed peloton and neutral service issues. Good. Let's see it happen. The only thing I wish for is that if a rider doesn't want to use discs, he won't have to. Like a pure climber or whatever. We'll see.
    Last edited by MMsRepBike; 03-04-2017 at 09:31 AM.
    use a torque wrench

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast