Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 173
  1. #126
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    9,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    If you can't spell it you should ride it. Lol. Disc brakes are like deep dish aero wheels for the masses. Useless.
    Gotta love a bit of irony.... making fun of someone for a misspelling (or maybe even auto correct) while referring to pretend deep dish aero wheels.
    Deep dish is pizza, so yea... useless on a bike. Never heard of anyone extra dishing their wheels to make them aero.
    Deep section wheels on the other hand are aero.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  2. #127
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    58
    Must be the Italian way of spelling "Disc/Disk".


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #128
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    9,270
    Quote Originally Posted by K Dub Cycle View Post
    Must be the Italian way of spelling "Disc/Disk".
    OMG, someone better tell Pinarello if they can't spell it they can't sell it. But I bet they don't sell deep dish wheels.

    DOGMA F8 DISK ? CICLI PINARELLO S.p.A.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  4. #129
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BCSaltchucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,122
    thread got funner. next up disk dishes


    brake rotor dining plate

  5. #130
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,820
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Never heard of anyone extra dishing their wheels to make them aero.

    Is this a new way to deal with crosswinds?
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

    "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

    "Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger



  6. #131
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Is this a new way to deal with crosswinds?
    No, you need "2 Spoke" wheels for that.

    Will these wheels turn crosswinds into free speed? - BikeRadar
    Too old to ride plastic

  7. #132
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,540
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Next in line for the development is the magnetic force spokes.

  8. #133
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,378
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    thread got funner. next up disk dishes


    brake rotor dining plate

    I have a set of disc brake coasters


  9. #134
    Cycling Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,669
    Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
    I have a set of disc brake coasters

    I guess this means that you've really taken to drinking the disc brake kool-aid...
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

  10. #135
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,378
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    I guess this means that you've really taken to drinking the disc brake kool-aid...

    Dang, "skidded" into that one...

  11. #136
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    385
    Another nail in the "disc brakes are whirling Ginsu knives of death" boogeyman coffin:

    Industry group rebuts pro rider disc-brake injury claims - BikeRadar

  12. #137
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,622
    may I suggest the following test.

    put the bike on the trainer and spin it up to 28 mph while dragging the brake to heat up the disc. Then, with both eyes closed, take you arm and flail it with all your strength into the disc, letting the hand hit the disc at random spots. Repeat this 3x. If disc is as safe as they say, then there should be absolutely no worries, right?

    Go on, I'm waiting for such test. This is more REAL WORLD crash than all these weak-sauce test I've been on youtube done by the "bro's"

  13. #138
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,820
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    may I suggest the following test.

    put the bike on the trainer and spin it up to 28 mph while dragging the brake to heat up the disc. Then, with both eyes closed, take you arm and flail it with all your strength into the disc, letting the hand hit the disc at random spots. Repeat this 3x. If disc is as safe as they say, then there should be absolutely no worries, right?

    Go on, I'm waiting for such test. This is more REAL WORLD crash than all these weak-sauce test I've been on youtube done by the "bro's"
    While I'm no fanboi of disc brakes, this logic is ridiculous. Com'on, you don't stick your hands in the spokes while you're riding either, do you? So I guess that means spokes are dangerous too? And let's not forget about the possibility of slipping and gouging your leg on the crank teeth - a much greater possibility considering your leg is always a few inches away from it.
    Last edited by Lombard; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:59 PM.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

    "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

    "Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger



  14. #139
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,264
    The "average recreational rider" who will have trouble with maintenance of hydraulic discs (there is no adjustment) is already "carting their bike back and forth to the LBS" to deal with the complication of putting air in their tires.

    Once the concept of "righty tighty" is understood, you will pretty much know what you need to know to change brake pads--the only thing you'll be doing for a couple of years (beyond occasionally cleaning of your discs).
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChipper View Post
    Well these are interesting and all and if there is indeed a safety issue, it's important, but there are tons of other reasons why disc brakes make no sense in the pro peloton (biggest currently being neutral support and the many "standards" nevermind weight and aero concerns) and little sense for the recreational road rider outside of a few limited and consistently rainy areas. In addition to the issues above, there is adjustment and maintenance for the average recreational rider who wants to spend more time riding their bike vs carting it back and forth to the LBS.

  15. #140
    Not a climber
    Reputation: dcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,181
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    may I suggest the following test.

    put the bike on the trainer and spin it up to 28 mph while dragging the brake to heat up the disc.
    Please explain to me why the temperature of the rotor matters at all. If the rotor is not sharp, it will not cut. It would have to be hundreds of degrees at minimum to use only heat to cut through skin. Rotation doesn't matter at all either if it's a dull edge, hot or not.

    Go back a few posts and look at the instagram video that I posted of Stybar stopping a full speed rear wheel by pressing his thumb on the rear disc rotor. Please tell me how that logic is flawed or faked.

  16. #141
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    58
    Editorial written by Larry Warbasse about disc brakes in the Pro Peloton.
    https://rouleur.cc/editorial/larry-w...e-disc-brakes/


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #142
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,400
    Quote Originally Posted by K Dub Cycle View Post
    Editorial written by Larry Warbasse about disc brakes in the Pro Peloton.
    https://rouleur.cc/editorial/larry-w...e-disc-brakes/


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had seen and read this and am glad that you posted it here. Worth reading.
    Too old to ride plastic

  18. #143
    Forever a Student
    Reputation: MMsRepBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,174
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I had seen and read this and am glad that you posted it here. Worth reading.
    And just a reminder, that last year or whatever when GCN walked around and asked pros what they thought, Mr. Warbasse was one of the first shown on the video. He's the one that very correctly states that brakes are not the limiting factor for them, it's the tires. His assessment of the situation has been clear and correct from the get go.

    And to basically sum up what's being said now:

    Listen, stop calling us Pros luddites and idiots and so on. We're real people, we're fathers and sons and husbands, and we're neither idiots nor luddites. In fact we welcome any new technology or advances that'll allow us to race our bikes faster and/or be safer doing so. But this isn't about the brakes or covers or anything like that right now. It's about our voices being heard. It's time that the voice of the riders means something, and now is the time to establish that. Without us, they're up **** creek without any paddles, it's time they start listening to what we have to say. This disc brake thing has clearly shown how little they care for our voice and our safety in general. It's time to change that.
    use a torque wrench

  19. #144
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,264
    How many pro riders belong to the CPA? This guy is pretending that he and/or the CPA speaks for pro cycling.

    To be clear, I really don't know the answer to my question, however, I do know that it was only a handful last year.

    As for the crash picture in the blog: I would suggest that not one of the bikes would have had hot discs in that environment. A massive/mass crash on a long twisting descent would be a different thing, however, I don't recall ever seeing that happen.

    From what I understand, after two years of contemplation, the UCI has come up with the ingenious idea of mandating that discs have rounded edges. That will make them roughly as sharp as a 14 gauge round spoke. I have yet to see any argument from the industry to justify making outer edge sharp in the first place (other than cost).

    Also, without listing the demands of the CPA, it is difficult to know if they are legitimate or simply trying to find a way to makes discs too heavy to be practical.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    And just a reminder, that last year or whatever when GCN walked around and asked pros what they thought, Mr. Warbasse was one of the first shown on the video. He's the one that very correctly states that brakes are not the limiting factor for them, it's the tires. His assessment of the situation has been clear and correct from the get go.

    And to basically sum up what's being said now:

    Listen, stop calling us Pros luddites and idiots and so on. We're real people, we're fathers and sons and husbands, and we're neither idiots nor luddites. In fact we welcome any new technology or advances that'll allow us to race our bikes faster and/or be safer doing so. But this isn't about the brakes or covers or anything like that right now. It's about our voices being heard. It's time that the voice of the riders means something, and now is the time to establish that. Without us, they're up **** creek without any paddles, it's time they start listening to what we have to say. This disc brake thing has clearly shown how little they care for our voice and our safety in general. It's time to change that.

  20. #145
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    While I'm no fanboi of disc brakes, this logic is ridiculous. Com'on, you don't stick your hands in the spokes while you're riding either, do you? So I guess that means spokes are dangerous too? And let's not forget about the possibility of slipping and gouging your leg on the crank teeth - a much greater possibility considering your leg is always a few inches away from it.
    Nobody claims spokes are not dangerous. In fact they are dangerous. Spokes are the necessary evil component of a bicycle. However, lately there has a lot of people spreading youtube videos how "SAFE" disc brakes can be and that these disc cannot possible cut your fingers even if you try (as profoundly demonstrated by these videos). That is why I said what I said. Well, if disc are so inherently safe, then you should have NOTHING to worry about.

    And out of curiosity, last friday I was in a local LBS and I had a cooler talk with a sales rep about dics, and there was a disc equipped Trek Domane next to me. I took my fingers to the edges of the disc (while disc is not spinning) and lightly scrap against the edges, and I thought to myself, there's no fking way I will risk putting my fingers to a hot spinning disk. The sales rep giggled, and by this time, a mechanic had come over to us, and he said he has cut his fingers a few times working with disc while the bike is on the stand. Then, nearby, a mountain biker chimed in and said he has burn his forearm at least one time in an endo.

  21. #146
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Nobody claims spokes are not dangerous. In fact they are dangerous. Spokes are the necessary evil component of a bicycle.
    What does "necessary" mean? What are the limits? If safety is our only concern, why not require belt drives and disc wheels? Why not require full racing leathers? Clearly the riders are willing to accept a high risk of injury to do this sport.

    Also, you may argue that disc brakes are "not necessary" because a perfectly valid alternative already exists. However, you also have to assess the incremental risk of rim brakes vs. disc brakes. For example, how many crashes have happened because people couldn't brake in time on a wet day? How many could have been prevented with disc brakes? Does lowering this risk outweigh the risk of contact with rotors in a crash? That seems like a valid question to ask.

    Well, if disc are so inherently safe, then you should have NOTHING to worry about.
    Straw man. I don't think anyone here is saying you can plunge your hand into a rotor without consequence. I know videos have been posted with people doing just that, but no one is saying that's a reasonable, consequence-free thing to do.

    And out of curiosity, last friday I was in a local LBS and I had a cooler talk with a sales rep about dics, and there was a disc equipped Trek Domane next to me. I took my fingers to the edges of the disc (while disc is not spinning) and lightly scrap against the edges, and I thought to myself, there's no fking way I will risk putting my fingers to a hot spinning disk. The sales rep giggled, and by this time, a mechanic had come over to us, and he said he has cut his fingers a few times working with disc while the bike is on the stand. Then, nearby, a mountain biker chimed in and said he has burn his forearm at least one time in an endo.
    Oh come on. I have three bikes equipped with discs. I've mounted lots of rotors. They are not sharp and they require little torque. If a mechanic is cutting himself on rotors, he's an idiot. Ask him how many times he's slammed his hand into a chainring while trying to remove a pedal, that's a much more understandable injury.

    Also, I've been mountain biking since the eighties and I've owned a disc braked mountain bike since they were introduced. Disc brakes are VASTLY superior to the old cantis and Vs and have made mountain biking far safer. Also, I've never heard of anyone in all the time I've been riding "burn themselves on a rotor". Slammed into a tree and broke their arm? Lots of times. I'm not saying it didn't happen but lets just say that's anecdotal at best.

  22. #147
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    659
    Dude that wrote the article sounds like he's rolling out the same tired old arguments against discs - sharp, hot etc etc.

    However, their whole argument is about politics and power and in reality has almost nothing to with discs themselves, they have, for whatever reason, chosen this as their forum to make a point. As Sagan said recently, - Safety left cycling a while ago.

    There are so many other safety issues in cycling that ARE causing issues and injuries at the moment I'm not sure why they have picked on discs that have caused absolutely none.

    I do agree with them that they need more voice in their welfare, I just think they've chosen the wrong vehicle to do it because their issues are largely unfounded.

  23. #148
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,378
    Quote Originally Posted by TmB123 View Post
    Dude that wrote the article sounds like he's rolling out the same tired old arguments against discs - sharp, hot etc etc.

    However, their whole argument is about politics and power and in reality has almost nothing to with discs themselves, they have, for whatever reason, chosen this as their forum to make a point. As Sagan said recently, - Safety left cycling a while ago.

    There are so many other safety issues in cycling that ARE causing issues and injuries at the moment I'm not sure why they have picked on discs that have caused absolutely none.

    I do agree with them that they need more voice in their welfare, I just think they've chosen the wrong vehicle to do it because their issues are largely unfounded.

    ^
    This 👏👏👏



    .

  24. #149
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,030
    Quote Originally Posted by TmB123 View Post
    Dude that wrote the article sounds like he's rolling out the same tired old arguments against discs - sharp, hot etc etc.

    However, their whole argument is about politics and power and in reality has almost nothing to with discs themselves, they have, for whatever reason, chosen this as their forum to make a point. As Sagan said recently, - Safety left cycling a while ago.

    There are so many other safety issues in cycling that ARE causing issues and injuries at the moment I'm not sure why they have picked on discs that have caused absolutely none.

    I do agree with them that they need more voice in their welfare, I just think they've chosen the wrong vehicle to do it because their issues are largely unfounded.
    This was my takeaway as well - He seemed more concerned about his lack of power and control than the actual risks of Disc Brakes - Too much hyperbole to take his analysis seriously.

  25. #150
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    275
    I've burned myself twice with discs in the years since they've been introduced, let's just say I'm a slow learner. They get really hot when braking hard on a long downhill and wonders of wonders, if you manage to stick your calf up against one you'll get branded. They also have not a lot of mass, so cool down pretty quickly and the last time I've checked, in finish line sprints where most mass crashes occur, no one is laying on their brakes for the last hundred meters or so before going down. So, can they get burned by a rotor in a crash? Sure. Is it likely? Not really.

    I've also stuck chainrings into myself many more times than that both on the bike and with it on the stand, I'd be more worried about them tbh.

    I agree, if a mechanic cuts himself on a disc, I'd wonder what he's doing. I've never had mine even develop a burr.

    Why isn't all this energy from the pro peleton focused on reducing motos? Jesus, they're the ones wrecking riders.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Disc brake review...not debate
    By Opus51569 in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 4 Weeks Ago, 08:42 AM
  2. Debate: Will tonight's GOP/FOX debate be softball?
    By troutmd in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 153
    Last Post: 11-15-2015, 08:07 AM
  3. The great disc debate
    By Rashadabd in forum Cyclocross
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 11-10-2012, 01:25 PM
  4. POTUS debate #2 pre-debate thread: what strategies?
    By QuiQuaeQuod in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-16-2012, 10:53 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-16-2012, 07:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •