Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 177
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    16

    The end of the deadly disc debate.

    https://youtu.be/Wci05Ayn7CI

    To me this video proves that the spokes are no more dangerous than the disc on a bike. When that cucumber got shot into the spokes it shredded that thing far worse than anything else the disc did. Add to that the Abu Dhabi sliced shoe is now confirmed as complete BS.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,082
    great thread dood

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,347
    The question that has kept discs out of the pro peloton is actually "will Campy ever get their sh!t together?".

    In the end, discs will finally be used whenever the UCI runs out of remotely feasible but lame excuses. I've heard that they're working on the question of the deadly air that comes off the disc pads. Look for a couple of riders from campy sponsored teams to pass out from disc pad asphyxiation just prior to the Giro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morfeeis View Post
    https://youtu.be/Wci05Ayn7CI

    To me this video proves that the spokes are no more dangerous than the disc on a bike. When that cucumber got shot into the spokes it shredded that thing far worse than anything else the disc did. Add to that the Abu Dhabi sliced shoe is now confirmed as complete BS.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,238
    Quote Originally Posted by Morfeeis View Post
    https://youtu.be/Wci05Ayn7CI

    To me this video proves that the spokes are no more dangerous than the disc on a bike. When that cucumber got shot into the spokes it shredded that thing far worse than anything else the disc did. Add to that the Abu Dhabi sliced shoe is now confirmed as complete BS.
    Those discs are going to leave behind a trail of severed arm and legs. Its going to be like a butcher shop out there! Stop the carnage!

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,065
    The result is everyone is going to full disk front and rear, disk wheels, not disk brakes!
    BANNED

  6. #6
    Forever a Student
    Reputation: MMsRepBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,462
    use a torque wrench

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,331
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    So the bottom line, if you don't press your foot into the rotor for a minute or two with all of your might and you should be good to go?

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,331
    Quote Originally Posted by Morfeeis View Post
    https://youtu.be/Wci05Ayn7CI

    To me this video proves that the spokes are no more dangerous than the disc on a bike. When that cucumber got shot into the spokes it shredded that thing far worse than anything else the disc did. Add to that the Abu Dhabi sliced shoe is now confirmed as complete BS.

    The only thing this video proves is that the people who made it are freakin' idiots.

    I think the fact that they came away with all of their fingers is proof enough that disc brakes are not all that dangerous...

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,864
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    The only thing this video proves is that the people who made it are freakin' idiots.

    I think the fact that they came away with all of their fingers is proof enough that disc brakes are not all that dangerous...
    you should google for images of fingers sliced by disc. No kidding. Some nasty sh*

  10. #10
    Proud luddite
    Reputation: azpeterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,494
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    I've heard that they're working on the question of the deadly air that comes off the disc pads. Look for a couple of riders from campy sponsored teams to pass out from disc pad asphyxiation just prior to the Giro.
    Yep....and combined with the debilitating asthma that so many in the peloton seem to have, requiring the use of an inhaler, it's a recipe for disaster!

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,696
    Well I was considering getting a disc brake bike instead of a Cuisinart, but it doesn't cut up sausage very well, so I'm going for the Cuisinart.

    Obviously a few people with way too much time on their hands. After attempting to slice that sausage, a thorough bike cleaning is a must, or the rider will attract every dog along the route.
    Last edited by Lombard; 02-25-2017 at 06:18 AM.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

    "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

    "Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger



  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    5
    Far more fun on rollers and with a Shamal HPW-12 wheel....and yes, the number of digits I have seen with serious injuries from rotors (typically on the work stand) far out number any other injury from a bike that was not in motion.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,347
    It's not too difficult to understand why lots of folks are confused about how disc brakes actually work. After becoming accustomed to wedging their shoe between the seat stays and the tire to stop their rim braked bike, they are now standing on the disc rotors and not noticing much improvement--thus all of the contentious discussion.

    It may take some time to re-educate these folks to the idea that, with discs, those levers do more than act as a squeeze ball for exercising their fingers. There is justifiable concern that some may never adapt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    So the bottom line, if you don't press your foot into the rotor for a minute or two with all of your might and you should be good to go?

  14. #14
    Huge in Japan
    Reputation: craiger_ny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    It's not too difficult to understand why lots of folks are confused about how disc brakes actually work. After becoming accustomed to wedging their shoe between the seat stays and the tire to stop their rim braked bike, they are now standing on the disc rotors and not noticing much improvement--thus all of the contentious discussion.

    It may take some time to re-educate these folks to the idea that, with discs, those levers do more than act as a squeeze ball for exercising their fingers. There is justifiable concern that some may never adapt.
    I agree. Once upon a time it used to be terribly dangerous to drive a car at night (or be on a roadway in any capacity for that matter) with so many drivers on the road whose foot was stuck in the steering wheel. Eventually people became accustomed to the high beams being on the column and through education and their own intuition figured out how to use their hands as an alternative method. I have hope that the same can and will happen in this case.
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,051
    Well these are interesting and all and if there is indeed a safety issue, it's important, but there are tons of other reasons why disc brakes make no sense in the pro peloton (biggest currently being neutral support and the many "standards" nevermind weight and aero concerns) and little sense for the recreational road rider outside of a few limited and consistently rainy areas. In addition to the issues above, there is adjustment and maintenance for the average recreational rider who wants to spend more time riding their bike vs carting it back and forth to the LBS.
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

  16. #16
    Banned forever.....or not
    Reputation: MR_GRUMPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    23,747
    I refuse to even listen to what people who ride bikes in jeans, say. They have to be wieners....Spinergy Rev-X wheels were banned from Pro races because people were afraid that someone's head might get cut off because of them.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    .
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

    I>U

    Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

    If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

    If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,331
    OldChipper,

    just curious. Do you own a bike with a quality set if hydraulic disc brakes?

    I'm asking because I'm curious how often you have to take then to the LBS for adjustment.

    I have two bikes with Shimano Hydraulic diiscs and they have never needed adjustment. I have had to replace pads, but that job is far easier on a disc bike than on rim. Remove a clip with a pair of pliers, slide out the old pads, slide in the new ones, and reinstall the clip. They are self adjusting, so there is no fiddling with it. Just use them. When rotors need replacing, they come off with a lock ring (for centerlocks) similar to a cassette lock ring. Remove the ring - slide off the old rotor, slide on the new rotor, reinstall the lock ring, and go ride your bike.

    The only job that might need a mechanic is if they need to be bled. This isnt required frequently, so its not that big of a deal.

    As for wheel changes, I don't know how it is for neutral service - I would imagine there could be some standards problems, but we already have this with other components (remember Froomey tryinng to ride the Mavic Neutral Service Bike on Mont Ventoux and his cleats wouldn't work with those pedals?). He still won the tour as I recall...

    I swap wheels between my bikes on occasion, and there are no issues - just slide it on and go.

  18. #18
    Forever a Student
    Reputation: MMsRepBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,462
    use a torque wrench

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,778
    ^^ It's not April yet.

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: MaxKatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    I'm not comfortable with disc brakes being maligned in this way. Yes, there is considerable damage to that truck. However, to be fair, isn't the banana more the root cause here? Let's be sure to pin the tail on the correct donkey.

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,177
    I came across this tonight and thought I would share:

    https://instagram.com/p/BQ_zSX6jsom/

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,411
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    OldChipper,

    just curious. Do you own a bike with a quality set if hydraulic disc brakes?

    I'm asking because I'm curious how often you have to take then to the LBS for adjustment.

    I have two bikes with Shimano Hydraulic diiscs and they have never needed adjustment. I have had to replace pads, but that job is far easier on a disc bike than on rim. Remove a clip with a pair of pliers, slide out the old pads, slide in the new ones, and reinstall the clip. They are self adjusting, so there is no fiddling with it. Just use them. When rotors need replacing, they come off with a lock ring (for centerlocks) similar to a cassette lock ring. Remove the ring - slide off the old rotor, slide on the new rotor, reinstall the lock ring, and go ride your bike.

    The only job that might need a mechanic is if they need to be bled. This isnt required frequently, so its not that big of a deal.

    As for wheel changes, I don't know how it is for neutral service - I would imagine there could be some standards problems, but we already have this with other components (remember Froomey tryinng to ride the Mavic Neutral Service Bike on Mont Ventoux and his cleats wouldn't work with those pedals?). He still won the tour as I recall...

    I swap wheels between my bikes on occasion, and there are no issues - just slide it on and go.

    Don't waste your breath, he's been told he is wrong about a dozen times now and next week he will be whining about how disc brakes need more maintenance and wheel swaps are hard all over again. Sad



    .

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,696
    Judging by the number of responses to this thread, this is NOT "The end of the deadly disc debate".

    But for now, let's move on to wider tires and chain lube.


    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

    "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

    "Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger



  24. #24
    Darling of The Lounge
    Reputation: Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    3,752
    I still refuse to wave at a cyclist on a disc brake bicycle in fear of having my arm severed.

  25. #25
    flinty-eyed moderator
    Reputation: Coolhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    12,613
    The disc hater thing is funny, and seemingly fact-proof.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Disc brake review...not debate
    By Opus51569 in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 02-22-2017, 09:42 AM
  2. Debate: Will tonight's GOP/FOX debate be softball?
    By troutmd in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 153
    Last Post: 11-15-2015, 09:07 AM
  3. The great disc debate
    By Rashadabd in forum Cyclocross
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 11-10-2012, 02:25 PM
  4. POTUS debate #2 pre-debate thread: what strategies?
    By QuiQuaeQuod in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-16-2012, 10:53 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-16-2012, 07:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •