Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Formosan Cyclocross
    Reputation: Dajianshan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,372

    Executive Big Shot vs. LBS

    http://gawker.com/5201137/cisco-exec...over-4000-bike

    Here's a little story for the RBR community. Hats off to the LBS for not groveling.

  2. #2
    Radical
    Reputation: Puchnuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    832
    Geeze! I'm surprised the Bush Administration didn't appoint him the Secretary of State! I hope he tries jumping his carbon-framed status-symbol over a couple of trucks in a parking lot with a ramp.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    136
    That's just typical. "I make a huge salary and take home a ridiculous bonus therefore I am better than anyone else here!" Corporate exec trash!

  4. #4
    I ride in circles..
    Reputation: ZoSoSwiM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,175
    Hmm... never threaten the builder of your custom bike.. It might let go on a 40mph descent..

    I'm not surprised though....
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

  5. #5
    Steaming piles of opinion
    Reputation: danl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    10,526
    Quote Originally Posted by monocognizant
    That's just typical. "I make a huge salary and take home a ridiculous bonus therefore I am better than anyone else here!" Corporate exec trash!
    Meh. It doesn't matter if you are rich or poor, black or white, corporate exec or trash collector, gay or straight, man or woman, mansion owner or trailer renter - you're either an a$$hat or you're not.

    This guy is, or at least was in this moment.

    And while he acted badly no matter the circumstances, I'm sure the story sounds somewhat different when he's doing the telling. Something tells me there's a bit of shading to the story. Calling a customer out by name online is bad form, no matter the offense. If everything and everyone in the shop was all sunshine and peaches, it'd never be thought of to trash the guy publicly, even though he does deserve it.

    It's not at all typical, as those traits don't typically contribute to long-term success. Hang out at the returns desk at Wal-mart a while before deciding which socioeconomic class acts like this most often. I've heard this sort of ranting over a $15 velour sweatsuit.
    Last edited by danl1; 04-07-2009 at 09:35 AM.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

  6. #6
    Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    Reputation: CleavesF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,248
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoSoSwiM
    Hmm... never threaten the builder of your custom bike.. It might let go on a 40mph descent..

    I'm not surprised though....
    I guess we'll find out soon enough if his zero gravity brakes pinch bolts hold up...
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

  7. #7
    banned
    Reputation: buck-50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7,258
    Is anyone surprised he was buying a cervelo?

  8. #8
    Moderator
    Reputation: Scot_Gore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    2,404
    Davis says Burton finally relented after he told him that Cyclepath customers were willing to testify about his behavior to the police

    I realize that the guy behaved badly, but what exactly would the willing customers be telling the police or a court?
    Scot Gore, Minneapolis

  9. #9
    Squirrel Hunter
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    3,893

    Consequences

    Quote Originally Posted by danl1
    ...Calling a customer out by name online is bad form, no matter the offense.
    ...even though he does deserve it.
    Hey, actions have consequences. If Joe wants to be a d!ck he will have to suffer whatever consequences come with it. Could be a beatdown, trashing of his car, lawsuit, or being publicly humiliated. Not sure it is the approach I would have used but not one that I would rule out either.

    Interesting that this happened in Pleasanton, Calif.
    Luck is the intersection of preparation and opportunity.

  10. #10
    I ride in circles..
    Reputation: ZoSoSwiM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,175
    Why the crack on Cervelo... Whats the stigma with them? I want an R3 really bad...
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

  11. #11
    Shirtcocker
    Reputation: Bocephus Jones II's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    61,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot_Gore
    Davis says Burton finally relented after he told him that Cyclepath customers were willing to testify about his behavior to the police

    I realize that the guy behaved badly, but what exactly would the willing customers be telling the police or a court?
    He made a death threat--I would assume that's actionable.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,489
    Quote Originally Posted by danl1
    Meh. It doesn't matter if you are rich or poor, black or white, corporate exec or trash collector, gay or straight, man or woman, mansion owner or trailer renter - you're either and a$$hat or you're not. .................

    Good point.

  13. #13
    Steaming piles of opinion
    Reputation: danl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    10,526
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeping up with Junior
    Hey, actions have consequences. If Joe wants to be a d!ck he will have to suffer whatever consequences come with it. Could be a beatdown, trashing of his car, lawsuit, or being publicly humiliated. Not sure it is the approach I would have used but not one that I would rule out either.
    I Agree - that wasn't my point, though.

    I'm just saying that there's likely another side to this story. There usually is, and the highly professional, perfectly behaved LBS staff that is being portrayed in this story would also be highly professional and perfectly behaved enough NOT to give the guy a public smackdown, no matter how much they feel he deserves it. Ya just don't trash customers - it's an incredibly stupid thing to do. When the owner does it, you get to thinking that maybe there's not a great example being set.

    Not excusing the behavior, just suggesting that the 'victims' at the LBS might have had some of it coming. Maybe they were simply getting the consequences they deserved.


    Alternate scene:

    "So, I get a call from the shop, telling me my bike is ready. My schedule and theirs' don't align well for the next few weeks, so we schedule a time to do the final fitting, Icancel a few other appointments and drive the 45 minutes to the store to pick it up. There are a few other customers browsing, one of them is being helped, and there are a couple of staff standing around chatting about last night's Idol. They clearly see me walk in, but make no move to try to help.

    "I walk over to the counter and stand there waiting to be helped, but no luck. After a few minutes my patience leaves me, and I speak up. 'Excuse me, but I'm supposed to pick up a bike. Is there someone around that could help me?' 'sure', they reply, 'give me just a minute.' and continue chatting.

    Finally, after killing 20 minutes on this nonsense, he decides to come over and help me. His Co-worker goes off to help another person that wants a test ride. 'Yeah, whaddya need?' he asks. I tell him that I'm there to tweak the fit and leave with my new bike. 'Oh. You need to see Mike over there (the co-worker) about that. He's with another customer, but ought to be done in 15 minutes or so.' At that point I lose it.
    (story continues, but you see the point.)

    Long experience says that when someone is trashing another, I'm probably not hearing the whole story.
    Last edited by danl1; 04-07-2009 at 09:34 AM.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,056
    Quote Originally Posted by danl1
    I Agree - that wasn't my point, though.

    I'm just saying that there's likely another side to this story. There usually is, and the highly professional, perfectly behaved LBS staff that is being portrayed in this story would also be highly professional and perfectly behaved enough NOT to give the guy a public smackdown, no matter how much they feel he deserves it. Ya just don't trash customers - it's an incredibly stupid thing to do. When the owner does it, you get to thinking that maybe there's not a great example being set.

    Not excusing the behavior, just suggesting that the 'victims' at the LBS might have had some of it coming. Maybe they were simply getting the consequences they deserved.


    Alternate scene:

    "So, I get a call from the shop, telling me my bike is ready. My schedule and theirs' don't align well for the next few weeks, so we schedule a time to do the final fitting, Icancel a few other appointments and drive the 45 minutes to the store to pick it up. There are a few other customers browsing, one of them is being helped, and there are a couple of staff standing around chatting about last night's Idol. They clearly see me walk in, but make no move to try to help.

    "I walk over to the counter and stand there waiting to be helped, but no luck. After a few minutes my patience leaves me, and I speak up. 'Excuse me, but I'm supposed to pick up a bike. Is there someone around that could help me?' 'sure', they reply, 'give me just a minute.' and continue chatting.

    Finally, after killing 20 minutes on this nonsense, he decides to come over and help me. His Co-worker goes off to help another person that wants a test ride. 'Yeah, whaddya need?' he asks. I tell him that I'm there to tweak the fit and leave with my new bike. 'Oh. You need to see Mike over there (the co-worker) about that. He's with another customer, but ought to be done in 15 minutes or so.' At that point I lose it.
    (story continues, but you see the point.)

    Long experience says that when someone is trashing another, I'm probably not hearing the whole story.
    That version sounds as likely as Tyler's chimeral twin doping explanation.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by lancezneighbor
    That version sounds as likely as Tyler's chimeral twin doping explanation.
    I agree. A rude LBS employee. . . unpossible!

  16. #16
    Moderator
    Reputation: Scot_Gore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    2,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    He made a death threat--I would assume that's actionable.

    "I hope you die" is a death threat? then "I hope you win the lottery" is racketeering I guess.
    Scot Gore, Minneapolis

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,487
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoSoSwiM
    Why the crack on Cervelo... Whats the stigma with them? I want an R3 really bad...
    I'm in a bad mood, so I'll bite.
    They are cheaply made in China, Cervelo won't even buck up enough to have them built right in Taiwan.
    They have ongoing quality control and recall issues.
    The testing standards that they advertise like they are the only manufacture to pass? Pretty much every bike manufacture has met those standards and passed that EFBe test. Cervelo barely passed, and ranks as one of the worst Top Performance bikes tested.
    People who buy Cervelo's are suckers for marketing, or corporate execs.
    Cisco must not be paying well, only $4000 for a bike. What is that? An aluminum soloist with rival?

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot_Gore
    "I hope you die" is a death threat? then "I hope you win the lottery" is racketeering I guess.
    Whether or not you believe it's a threat, it's obviously meant to be aggressive and could be easily interpreted as a threat. Saying something along the lines of, "I hope a bomb goes off under your car after work" is just as threatening as telling someone you planted a bomb under their car. The law isn't necessarily black and white, and interpretation definitely falls on that "grey" line.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

2015 LIGHTS SHOOTOUT

Hot Deals See All Hot Deals >>

Interbike Featured Booths

Check out the hottest road bike products from these brands!



















See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook