Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

exploding carbon clincher rims:

11K views 69 replies 34 participants last post by  Dersnap 
#1 ·
"...but a carbon rim spontaneously exploding to the point of massive failure is highly unlikely."

-press release June, 28, 2012 from REYNOLDS CYCLING:

Carbon Clinchers

"Paul Lew, Reynolds’ Director of Technology and Innovation, states, “Courses which are technical, particularly those with steep gradients and which involve large numbers of closely-grouped cyclists of varying abilities, create the high likelihood that cyclists will ride the brakes for prolonged periods of time. This is a recipe for trouble, regardless of the wheel or material. I think this is the reason that an event promoter would single out carbon clinchers. One could even relate the ruling against aero bars in group rides to this decision. It comes down to experience of the rider and control at higher speeds.”"

Nice to see some honesty and straight talk from Reynolds.

#2 ·
I wouldn't trust carbon rims. I've heard they can explode in the sun, just like carbon frames. Thats why I run a steel frame and wood rims, wood doesn't conduct heat very well.

#5 ·
I hope you are being sarcastic. I have ridden on a 2 carbon bikes in the last 4 years during hot summer days. Never had any problem even after leaving the bike outside while I grab lunch inside. Be careful of the source of info. With the internet, every Joe and his brothers think they are experts. Always validate your findings.

#6 ·
I ride a beryllium frame with aluminum wheels, I'd never trust carbon rims or carbon anything. I might step up to a stainless steel frame or bamboo, I haven't decided yet.
I might try disk brakes also, at least then I wouldn't have to worry about my aluminum rims coming apart at the seam from the brake pads rubbing on the rim too hard.
Come to think, with all the stuff that can come apart on a bicycle, maybe I'll stay home and drink beer and be safe.

#9 ·
If the military ever begins to understand the explosive qualities of carbon it could launch a whole new arms race. Next thing you know Iran is storing and refining carbon. Its a scary world.
Supposedly we have bombs in our inventory that spread a load of very fine graphite fibers to destroy enemy electrical infrastructure by causing shorts on circuit boards and transformers.

#13 ·
I also rode down a 26% hill yesterday with my Reynolds DV3K clinchers. I was riding the brakes because there is a stop sign at the end of it and the road doesn't continue forward. They seemed fine. Yes, I know this isn't a scientific test but just my $.02. I weight 155lbs for reference.

#14 ·
Sorry to hear that ddimick. May your carbon frame rest in peace. Being inside of any vehicle with the window close, the temperature can reach 120-140 degree. From my personal experience a couple of weeks ago leaving work to go home, the car thermostat read 112 degree, which was much lower than the average since I used windshield shades.

When you are driving the bike is getting wind cooling, thus it shouldn't be an issue. If it is a problem, than all the SAG at Tour de France would not use the roof racks.

#19 ·
No worries, the next generation of computer controlled wireless electronic brakes will deal with that,

I hear Shram has already a prototype

#25 ·
A guy I ride with has a specialty meat market, to prevent heat induced carbon assplosions we store our bikes in his frozen food locker. Only problem is ride time is limited to the time it takes for our carbon bikes to defrost which in 90 degrees takes about 45 minutes.

#32 ·
“Courses which are technical, particularly those with steep gradients and which involve large numbers of closely-grouped cyclists of varying abilities, create the high likelihood that cyclists will ride the brakes for prolonged periods of time..

I am so tired of hearing people say not to ride the brakes. Honestly I had a real winner tell my newbie cyclist not to use her brakes on a steep local downhill. I got so mad when she almost crashed due to her high speed on a curve. Give me a break. You need to use your brakes and I have never experienced any problems using brakes even in 110 degree desert weather.

Reactions: Mr. Jones
#35 ·
"...but a carbon rim spontaneously exploding to the point of massive failure is highly unlikely."

-press release June, 28, 2012 from REYNOLDS CYCLING:

Carbon Clinchers

"Paul Lew, Reynolds’ Director of Technology and Innovation, states, “Courses which are technical, particularly those with steep gradients and which involve large numbers of closely-grouped cyclists of varying abilities, create the high likelihood that cyclists will ride the brakes for prolonged periods of time. This is a recipe for trouble, regardless of the wheel or material. I think this is the reason that an event promoter would single out carbon clinchers. One could even relate the ruling against aero bars in group rides to this decision. It comes down to experience of the rider and control at higher speeds.”"

Nice to see some honesty and straight talk from Reynolds.
To try to resurrect a small dose of seriousness in the thread... The bolded sentence pretty much negates the 'honestly and straight talk' part of this - or not, but it does at least negate the notion that Lew is saying carbon needs TLC braking.

I think points made elsewhere are valid, too: Carbon wheels will brake differently in extreme situations, completely leaving aside the danger of blowouts or rim failure. It's likely that this is the first time many people would see this kind of use for their rims - it makes sense to limit the unfamiliarity.

I'm not sure I buy that as the primary reason. I think the reason is that Levi knows a thing or two that the self-proclaimed interweb experts might not.

#43 ·
I think the reason is that Levi knows a thing or two that the self-proclaimed interweb experts might not.
Or that someone else on the staff of his event does. Not sure how much experience Levi would have with carbon clincher rims.

There was an interesting article about this topic over on Red Kite Prayer. The author seemingly had some experience with carbon clincher failure.

#36 ·
Just last week when the country had that record heat wave a friend of mine had stopped to help with my flat. He leaned his bike up against a post that had no shade what-so-ever, and all of a sudden we here a snap-crackle-pop! We go look and sure enough a fissure running the entire TT was on his carbon bike.
Luckily I was riding the TI bike that day and experienced no problems

#48 ·
Funny watching Le Tour De France yesterday where these guys where hitting over 100KMh on carbon wheels. Saw a few flats because of tacks on the road but no explosions.

That said these are pro's and they will change wheels frequently.

This thread reminds me of cry babies saying Schwable Ultremo's R don't last when used for touring.

Race wheels= Race day.

#51 ·
Well as ignorance reins supreme I will add this:

Many many years ago I had the luck of acquiring a disability which allows me to where a drop foot leg brace. Early generations had steel, then alloys. Later came the various polymer types.

Steel sucked pure and simple.
Alloy a bit better and with a mix of polymers it started to get custom fit and stronger. However I often had them explode running.

One day about 8 years ago I was in for a new brace and she said let me show you the new technology. Something so small but a few sticks and a foot plate. Weight was like 85 grams or something. Now I am on my second one, its at least 10 times lighter than the previous, never shattered, broke, and I am 100 times harder on this. Ride with it completely exposed over my tights in the winter at -20 centigrade.

Point:
Carbon is in every way superior than anything else available at the moment. Knowing how to use it is another story, and taking shortcuts in the production can have terrible results. And the thing is the weenies who go out and cock flash their 15K bikes on a weekend road race, or training ride are usually the ones who think they know the most, and do the least amount of care for the product.

#52 ·
One day about 8 years ago I was in for a new brace and she said let me show you the new technology. Something so small but a few sticks and a foot plate. Weight was like 85 grams or something. Now I am on my second one, its at least 10 times lighter than the previous, never shattered, broke, and I am 100 times harder on this. Ride with it completely exposed over my tights in the winter at -20 centigrade.

Point:
Carbon is in every way superior than anything else available at the moment. .
Sounds like a great brace. Is it made by Trek?

#67 ·
Ya especially considering I am always switching my keyboard languages here in Germany and forgot the little letter "g"

reigns might have fixed it.

:D

touché

Anyways not to keep this going but there is a few other riders here who are running the Fulcrum wheels and they have alloy on the brake pad area. I have not tried them but at least one semi-pro rider here uses them for daily training and suspects they are more durable and forgiving. MOSDEF not as hard on brake pads.

I guess if disc brakes come in to play this argument will be moot?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.