RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

fairwheel bikes, why charge me 200% on shipping?

USPS small flat rate is $5.80.
    You shipped me a few small items and charged $11.25.
    What gives?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    so what did they answer? surely you asked them "what gives" before blasting it to the world.
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Does it automatically calculate by price if you pay online (as opposed to weight). Having used them for years, I would have picked up the phone to find out.

Incidentally, I've done that with other places (I don't use regularly) if I only needed one small item and all except one of them have worked with me on it. Sometimes automated stuff has its downside and you do have to either email and wait or pick up the phone to get it done.
    Swim away fugu fish, swim away!

Slippery Old Devil
    Quote Originally Posted by mogarbage View Post
    What gives?
    Buy from Ribble UK. They've gotten all my business for the last year. Lower prices on stuff you want - Lower shipping than most US bike sites. Just takes a few days longer.

Re-Cyclist
    Why are you telling us this? Call them, work it out, and move on.
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Special Eyes View Post
    it's 6 bucks. the world wont end over it. it's a matter of principle and business.

and why start a thread over a bicycle related purchase? because it makes more sense to me than a guy who links to his company work in the signature. so i ask you, why are you telling us?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by den bakker View Post
    so what did they answer? surely you asked them "what gives" before blasting it to the world.
    no blasting going on here. when something doesnt add up i'll ask. i have a hard time believing a b/m store like fwb doesnt have someone that verifies orders. that was their opportunity to do right. after the consumer is peeved, it's already too late.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    No kidding, good grief.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    no blasting going on here. when something doesnt add up i'll ask. i have a hard time believing a b/m store like fwb doesnt have someone that verifies orders. that was their opportunity to do right. after the consumer is peeved, it's already too late.
    Then why buy from them in the first place if you're so upset about it? They weren't forcing you to buy from them,

Big is relative
    it's 6 bucks. the world wont end over it. it's a matter of principle and business.

and why start a thread over a bicycle related purchase? because it makes more sense to me than a guy who links to his company work in the signature. so i ask you, why are you telling us?
    Why did you include the name of the business? Man up and call them instead of complaining on the internet. Give them a chance to explain or make it right before you start trashing them on a bike website.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's $5.35.

Questions re shipping AND HANDLING charges

-did you check the s&h on the website before you ordered?

-if not, why not?

-if so, did they charge what they quoted?

-if not, contact them.

-if so, you got nothin to complain about.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I'd as them too. Posting on a public forum ain't asking them though. it seems cowardly to be honest. you got a question for them ask them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    I might offer that Fairwheel probably isnt some massive conglomerate that has a person dedicated to auditing every invoice to make sure that someone isnt charged $5 extra on shipping.

Seriously, they arent Amazon or Performance Bike. Stuff happens, especially when you deal with a boutique shop, selling boutique parts.

To me, it seems poor form to say something here, without having called or emailed them first. Ive only ordered a few things from them, and never had any issues so I am guessing that your experience is not the norm. Fairwheel Bikes rocks.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    poor form to post about it here for sure. man up, ask them directly and wait for a reply before whining about it here.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    as above.

RoadBikeReview Member
    mog - USPS small flat rate is $5.80.
    What gives?

Did they charge you more than what they said shipping would cost?

I am going to guess that the person that put your parts in the box
    does not work for free.
    The most expensive thing you can buy for your road bike is a scale.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    maybe they put a lollipop in the box for ya, don't worry it will all be ok.
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What gives?
    No sympathy here if you haven't already made an effort to call... Here is their number. Make the call and let us know how things work out...
    520-624-3045 - Online/Phone orders. Customer service for online/phone orders.
    HERKWO

Get me to In&Out
    I was just at the their shipping warehouse two weeks ago. It is a fairly small place. There was three that I could see processing orders, packing, and shipping. Looked like there was maybe another who is a wheel builder, but wasn't there at the time. These guys are down to earth. I didn't get the impression they operate on a high profit margin. Give them a call. They are very relaxed guys. You will at least get a reply that way. I have to say it was cool being there because they have stacks of carbon rims waiting to be built. I definitely got a HM moment (High Modulus )
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    some of ya need to chill a bit. last thing i'm doing is dragging their name in the mud.
    i like their builds, like the parts they choose to stock, and overall like the vibe of the guys when i do call in an order. just because i cant put my finger on how the shipping charge worked out doesnt mean they are con-men, far from it. they cover the ww and custom market fairly well, so as a shop and as builders, they get nothing but respect from me.

sympathy? dont need that.
    handling charge so the guy in the warehouse can eat, really?
    lollipop, didnt get them, or smarties, or tootsie rolls. am actually upset about that.

like i said, it's only a few bucks. i'd rather spend my idle time armchair quarterbacking how fabs will try to handle sagain this year with no teammates to help. that's the real pressing issue at hand

RoadBikeReview Member
    The question you're ignoring is did you know the shipping was $11.25 before you accepted the order? If you did then comparing the price you accepted & willingly paid with the $ amt on the package you received is just pouting. Guess what? The stuff you bought didn't cost the company the same price it cost you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Re: fairwheel bikes, why charge me 200% on shipping?

I wonder if the extra $6 might be to help cover the cost of employing that person, packaging, tape, label, etc...

I own a mail order company. Per package packing and handling costs are a realty of shipping products.

banned
    I always check the shipping charges before I finalize any order. There is no universal shipping charge. I feel many charges are arbitrary and the companies add in handling charges to the shipping charges because I see some ridiculous rates for the smallest items. If I see outrageous shipping charges I simply do not do business with them.