Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002

Fat Bikes - They've lost the "cool" factor

That is if they ever did have the "cool" factor. But once something new gets covered by the national evening news, stick a fork in it.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news...-1182665283534
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

Russian Troll Farmer
    Yeah, I think the "fat bike" craze was no longer hip when:

1) WalMart started selling them, and

2) They became the favorite bike in the urban ghetto neighborhoods.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    were never cool.

will always be the right tool for riding in snow (which is why I will never own one)
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Fixies, singlespeeds, cyclocross, touring, and fat bikes always seemed to have been embraced by weird guys with beards before they really hit the mainstream. All we need to do is look at what the beardkin are riding to find out where bikes are headed in 3-5 years.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    touring bikes always seemed to have been embraced by weird guys with beards before they really hit the mainstream.
    weird guys with beards were riding touring bikes in the late 1960s, before they became mainstream in the 70s???

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    weird guys with beards were riding touring bikes in the late 1960s, before they became mainstream in the 70s???
    Thought associating here:
    60's...hippies... weird...smelly.... unshaven... therefore, bearded.

Yep, it checks out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Fat bikes...the Harley Davidson of bicycles.
    All I see on fat bikes are fat guys riding along at 12 mph. Saw some today in fact.
    How many ride their bikes on the beach or in the snow?

Keep in mind, fat bikes are really transformers that started life as earth moving equipment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Some would rather use the trainer inside than to battle the elements outside during colder months.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Fixies, singlespeeds, cyclocross, touring, and fat bikes always seemed to have been embraced by weird guys with beards before they really hit the mainstream. All we need to do is look at what the beardkin are riding to find out where bikes are headed in 3-5 years.
    I wish I could grow a decent beard. Then I could buy a Suburu, ride a fixie, and learn Frisbee tricks

Russian Troll Farmer
    I saw a weird guy with a beard riding a GMC Denali bike the other day. Maybe he was just trying to be 'ironic'.....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    I saw a weird guy with a beard riding a GMC Denali bike the other day. Maybe he was just trying to be 'ironic'.....
    Well, there it is. The next fad is road bikes with twist shifters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Fat bikes were purely functional at first - for/by mountain bikers stuck in the snowlands who wanted ride year 'round. Seeing them on XC trails in GA in the summer made me laugh - watching guys try to muscle them up hills at 3 mph... while we flew by on 2.1s.

Proud luddite
    So if fat bikes are out, what's the next fad in cycling? Tall bikes? Short bikes? Gender-neutral bikes?

Neophyte
    Machete bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    And drink PBR.
    "Why I oughta..."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    Fat bikes were purely functional at first - for/by mountain bikers stuck in the snowlands who wanted ride year 'round. Seeing them on XC trails in GA in the summer made me laugh - watching guys try to muscle them up hills at 3 mph... while we flew by on 2.1s.
    they seem to work great for the guy I saw riding one in Arizona. They DO have more traction in loose stuff than anything smaller dia, and float over rock gardens, and add some suspension so he could have a simpler bike with no heavy complex suspension fork or shock/wingarm/linakges. He dropped us that day, actually. Great choice, I'd say.

the silly fad that seems to be finally dying is .. XC bikes. a very rare sight around here any more. I was devoted to them and finally jumped ship a couple years ago. Good riddance. Admittedly it took 30 years for trail bikes to evolve enough to displace them.
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 03-11-2018 at 11:21 PM.

a real member's member
    All we need to do is look at what the beardkin are riding to find out where bikes are headed in 3-5 years.
    me and my beard ride a '60 paramount, mostly. sometimes i'll switch it up and ride the '73 falcon or one of the others. they all have 23mm tires, so, not real "fat."

but i don't live in alaska.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    All my bikes are Phat Bikes

gazing from the shadows
    Being in on the early rise of a trend does not make you, or the trend, cool. Not automatically. Being into My Little Pony as an early Brony (NTTAWWT) would be one example of "early trend =/= cool". Personally, I never thought fat bikes were "cool". "Goofy and fun" yes, but cool, no.

If I see middle school to high school aged kids on bikes, road or trail, I see lots of fat bikes in the mix. So they seem to like them just fine. But I doubt many that age consider any bicycle as "cool". But they are at least seen as "least bad option" when it comes to bikes.

I think three factors come into play with fat bikes and numbers/popularity outside hard core cyclists. First, they look tough and like they should last, so average parents are likely to buy them for kids based on that belief. Second, buying a fat bike for a kid means the kid will have a slow bike, making it easier for parents who ride casually to keep up and not feel old when riding with their kids. I do see families riding where parents are on road/hybrid and kids are on fat bikes. Third, adults who ride them in good weather on pavement (or even gravel) find them very comfortable, and for anyone who has had issues with bumps from the road affecting back/shoulders etc, that's a big factor that can be noticed easily in a short bike shop test ride. "I won't get beat up" is the focus, not "I will have a tank to pedal up any hill."
    Stout beers under trees, please.

What the what???
    So... fat bikes have joined the ranks of mopeds and Betty Jo Shoomp...

...fun to ride until your friends see you.

Apologies, of course, to Ms. Shoomp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy, you better have something saved for the turn...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    ...the silly fad that seems to be finally dying is .. XC bikes. a very rare sight around here any more. I was devoted to them and finally jumped ship a couple years ago. Good riddance. Admittedly it took 30 years for trail bikes to evolve enough to displace them.
    You mean that silly fad that was the beginning and only fad for 30 years? And sure, if you're into moping around trails - get a trail bike or an all-mountain. If you're too lazy to ride up the mountain, and just want to coast down - get a downhill or gravity bike. But, if you're going to race XC.... wouldn't you want to be riding the right bike for the job?

XC mountain bike racing is what seems to be fading. At a race this past weekend, we were talking about how few young guys were there - lots and lots of guys in their 40s, 50s and some in their 60s. I just don't think kids ride bikes like they did in the 70s and 80s.

Neophyte
    How much more expensive is a raceable entry-level MTB now compared to the 1990s?

Re: Fat bikes... Niche products are great if you're in that niche. They look fun.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    fat bike with a good e-motor is a recipe for instant fun brapping in mud or on the beach. Only issue is the cost, several thousands is too much

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    Guys out here in western CO get them down to around 19 pounds (single speed) and absolutely fly on them, summer or winter. One guy I ride with off-road is exclusively fat. He says it perfectly compensates for his weaknesses. All I know is I can’t keep up with him up hill or down.
    Cook

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast