Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010

Favorite bar tape and why?

Buying a new bar, probably the white version of the FSA Pro Wing Compact. So I'll need some new tape. Currently I've got a white bike with a black bar and white tape. Since this will be a white bar, I'll probably use black tape. It'll hide the sweat stains better anyway.

Anyone have a favorite (or favourite) tape that they just love? cork/squishey/etc?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Like the lizard skin 2.5 in red
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Favorite bar tape and why?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1327506949.384626.jpg  
    2013 Lynskey R230. Campagnolo Chorus 11 group-set. Campagnolo Neutron Ultra wheel-set. Easton EC90 aero handlebars on 3T team stem. Specialized Romin Expert 155mm saddle. Look Keo Carbon Blade pedals. Garmin Edge 800. Lizard skin tape.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Very happy with Fizik Microtex.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by willieboy View Post
    Like the lizard skin 2.5 in red
    Nice bike! Red would be my second choice. My ride has a similar paint scheme. I'm also planning on buying the same saddle as you've got. Specialized Romin, probably the expert edition. I rode one last summer for the first time and it was instantly better than the saddle I've been riding (stayed better after 60 miles too).

" The road side joker"
    Deda Elementi Logo Padded Foam tape - light easy to use...

Favorite bar tape and why?-deda-tape.jpg
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2009 SCOTT Speedster
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/146635
    (GET 15% OFF YOUR FIRST ORDER)

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by abrasive View Post
    Very happy with Fizik Microtex.
    ^^^ This. I've tried a few and this has been the best. I use white and it has stayed the cleanest of them all by far. Deda was the one before it and it looked scruffy and got dirty quickly.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Bontrager Gel is quite good. Stretchy, well cushioned, and many colors. Negatives would be high cost and could be longer.

Fecal indicator
    used black Deda for a long time...fairly inexpensive, good service life, decent feel.

recently switched to white Fizik Microtex...seems very durable, but lacks any cushioning effect (doesn't matter to me tho).

after 500 miles of use, it seems relatively easy to clean, but does show a little dinginess at the hoods.
    eff all y'all...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    +1 on the lizard skin tape.
    it comes in a lot of different colors besides red, but i happen to have the red tape.
    and btw nice bike, we have the same giant frame

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Fizik Microtex, Looks great, feels great but most important of all, it stays clean and looking great, most other tapes seem to get dirty so quick then look crap

I <3 1911s
    +1 for the Fizik Microtex. When the white tape gets dirty, you can easily wipe it down with a wet cloth to make it look new again. It doesn't stain as easily as others.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

teflondog's PedalRoom profile

RoadBikeReview Member
    Specialized S-Wrap Roubaix Tape and Fizik Microtex Alwasy in black unless its on my track bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Another +1 for the Fizik Microtex. I like the matte black.
    Kestrel Talon Road, Campy 10, Zonda wheels
    Litespeed Firenze, Campy 10, Joe Young Custom Wheels
    Nashbar Generic single speed, Khamsin wheels

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Fizik microtex. It last forever and clean up verrrry well. Especially if you want white bar tape. Any cork tape in white will be brown in like 5 rides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    ^^^ This. I've tried a few and this has been the best. I use white and it has stayed the cleanest of them all by far. Deda was the one before it and it looked scruffy and got dirty quickly.
    Ditto for Fizik Microtex (in white). Easy to put it on, easy to take off, stays white, easy to clean, grippy and looks sharp. Have it on both of my bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    I love the Prologo Doubletouch Bar Tape. It offers great grip and has lasted way longer than anything else I've tried.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lizard Skins DSP 2.5 in white!!! My god!!! I have tried a ton of different tape and the Lizard Skins are easily my favorite.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    If you like really grippy bar tape you should try Pro Digital Carbon tape. Normal Pro tape is terrible, but this stuff is incredible. I've tried many brands this is byfar the best I've used. Only comes in black and white.

Wiggle | Pro Digital Carbon Bar Tape Bar Tape

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Lizard skin 2.5 tape
    Squishy, super comfortable, thick and padded.
    I had the white, it was not easy to keep clean so now I have the black
    Last edited by CABGPatchKid; 01-27-2012 at 11:30 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    I also llike Fizik. Stella Azura is similar & has white stitching.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My resume is short of tape experience, but 3 for 3 times (only changed because of color), Fi'zi:k has been perfect. Since it's thin you have more control over how thick you want the wrap.

I tried SRAM's carbon-look stuff, and I could never wrap it to the point where the edges could sit virtually flush. Always looked crude, and the leftover residue was a huge step down from Fi'zi:k, which leaves nearly nothing.

Right now, I'm using Shimano PRO's Digital Silicon. Wraps alright, feels decent. Never had to unwrap just yet, but the adhesive didn't seem all that much. I'm looking to go back to Fi'zi:k for aesthetic reasons (their glossy versions).

Hai.
    Here's a hit for Lizard Skins.... It's fat and squishy, which is how I like it.
    Man up, dumb down, and do one gear.

/AYHSMB

Lost in translation
    My Microtex looks like new after five thousand miles. In black, tho. I could see how white would maintain its original luster over a long spell.

Handlebar cushioning via bar tape seems overrated to me. And that type of tape - especially cork - is not very durable. It soaks up grime too easily in my book.

I miss Greg.
    Cinelli cork is still my favorite. Nicely cushioned, stretches just the right amount when you put it on, looks great, several colors to go with every bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    You really can't go wrong with Fizik Microtex HOWEVER if your not a fan of that "bare bars" type feel then you might not like it or want to double wrap it. Personally I love the super minimalist feel and that it cleans up incredibly well.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast