RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010

Feet roll to outside

I have been battling this for some time and cannot figure it out. I have been professionally fitted (by a world champion).

When I ride my feet keep rolling to the outside. I have tried different arch supports. Esoles and Specialized (blue & red). My shoes are Specialized S-works and road expert. I get the same problem with both pairs of shoes. Also forgot to put in the arch supports for a ride and still had the same problem.

I did not have this problem last year. Started this winter and I believe it could the causing my knee issues. When I pedal my right leg will sometimes hit the top tube. Left leg does not hit. I have a wedge in my left shoe plus a wedge under the cleat right foot I have a wedge in the shoe.

As I type this I notice that my feet want to roll to the outside.

Technique
    Weak muscles (which one/s)
    Fit

Any help would really be appreciated!

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsey View Post
    I have been battling this for some time and cannot figure it out. I have been professionally fitted (by a world champion).
    Not everyone is perfect.
    Started this winter and I believe it could the causing my knee issues. When I pedal my right leg will sometimes hit the top tube. Left leg does not hit. I have a wedge in my left shoe plus a wedge under the cleat right foot I have a wedge in the shoe.

As I type this I notice that my feet want to roll to the outside.
    I'm confused how your knee would be hitting the top tube if your feet are rolling out. Wouldn't that spread your knees apart? Kinda like riding bow legged.
    A wedge in your shoe and under your cleat! Wow that's a lot.

Any help would really be appreciated!
    Have you checked your Q-factor?
    If your pedals are too far in, it could push your knees out. If they are too far out, it could push your knees in.
    Q Factor - What is it and should you care? Indoor Cycle Instructor Podcast | ICI/PRO

RoadBikeReview Member
    ... I have been professionally fitted (by a world champion)....
    I hadn't realized bike fitting was a sanctioned competitive endeavor.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    World champion fitter or not, it sounds like the person isn't doing a proper job.

Inserts/arch supports make your feet roll to the outside - most people have the opposite problem and that's they pronate (roll to the inside).

I would ask around and find someone who knows what they are doing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for all the responses.

Q_Factor: When I was done the cleats were set closest to the bb. I was getting sharp pain on the inside of my knee. Not getting any response from the fitter and looking online. I moved my cleats as far away from the bb as they would go. Knee feels better but that could be why I am hitting the top tube. Going to check out the link.

I am trying out different arch supports. Seems like they all roll my feet out. I do have flat feet (from wearing boat shoes since I was a teen). Will just put in the lowest arch and see what happens. Also going to take out the wedge in the shoe.

Figured a world champ would know what they are doing. Maybe no more love only motivated by $.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Figured a world champ would know what they are doing. Maybe no more love only motivated by $.
    You mentioned being "professionally fitted". Is this "champ" a professional fitter, or a professional cyclist? They are two totally separate things.
    Typically professionals are more geared to riding, not wrenching. They have professional wrenches do their work. My guess is he set your bike up based of what he feels works best for him, not for you.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    What kind of pedals? Road or MTB? It's possible you need a wider, broader platform...of whatever style. That's always stopped the rolling outward for me.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Both, Was invited by specialized to go to HTC highroad (when they were around) to participate with the fitting.

My fit was a 3D Specialized BG fit.

I am beginning to think the same thing about the fit. Just lumped me into the typical fit group. Might be time to find a new fitter.

Would like to try on my own so that I do not have to go see someone every time I want to change saddle, shoes etc...

fu
    St00pid question: You said the problem started this winter. What did you change this winter? The pedals, the crank, the shoes, the entire bike...?
    My other chainring is a 39...
    Strava profile

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Knee started hurting late winter. I got fitted for a new bike and that is when I started having problems. I bought just the frame, handlebars and stem and used everything else from my old bike. I kept shoes and got a new pair (if happens with both pair) I believe they are shimmed the same. i have speedplay zeros pedals with 1/8" longer spindles. I did change over to speedplay zeros from x5's last November but do not remember having this issue. I rode January and took February off to paint the inside of the house.

This started in June of this year when I started ramping up riding and now happens on every ride and does not matter the length.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Are you sure your shims/wedges are positioned correctly?

Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure if your feet roll to the outside then you put the shim/wedge such that its high point is on the inside of your foot. In other words, the thicker portion of the wedge/shim would need to be on the inside of your foot, closest to the crank/BB. This always seems counterintuitive to me, but that's the way to correct for the roll to the outside.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Bike,

That is the way they are installed. I took out the shim in the shoe and will give it a go. Will post back what happens.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    OK, now I see at least part of the problem. First "flat feet" are mostly an arch that's tilted towards the inside of your foot/leg. You pronate. Pronation causes pain on the inside of your knee and the movement of your foot rolling about also causes your knee to hit the top tube. All that is noraml for someone that pronates.

The strange thing is your feet rolling to the outside. If you do both, something isn't right like the inserts are set up properly, your saddle height is way off, your pedals need more float (or maybe none). Find another fitter or a podiatrist that knows cycling.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Seven,

Thanks for the info. I am going to find a new fitter. Was going to look into a Retul fitter but they have not gotten back to me in a while. Going to contact a fitter that did a fit on me a couple of years ago. No complaints other than an hour drive. Wanted to go to someone closer, forget that.

Edit: Is there one fit system better than the next? Gentleman that did my fit before used Serrotta.

Was thinking about a podiatrist but how do find one that knows cycling?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Where are you located. Probably someone near can make a recommendation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Burlington, CT

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    I had the same issue. My solution (after trying many things) was to move from a Speedplay pedal to a SPD-SL pedal which has a wider pedaling platform. I also moved the the cleat on the shoe as far back and to the outside of the shoe as possible. The idea is to provide adequate support for the outside of the foot since that's where the rolling action begins.

I also found I am less likely to roll my foot out if I remember to keep my heels down. Making sure your saddle is not so high that it causes you to have to reach for the bottom of the pedal stroke with your foot is also important.

Good luck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Curt,

Thanks for the info. LBS is trying to get me to switch to a dura-ace pedal. So far I have resisted. Moving the cleats was on of the first things I did when this started back in April. Cleats were set so that they closest to the bb. I moved they so they are furthest from the bb. When I sat down for the interview I talked about the medial pain I was having.

I took out the wedges in my shoes. Went for a ride on one bike with no issues. Went for a ride on my second bike again with no issues. I did raise the saddle on the second bike not sure if that helped anything. I am not having the numbness issue with my left foot anymore so that is also a plus. Going to see how things go.

Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions and will post an update in a few weeks.

Norm