Fenix lights -- next generation?

I'm in need of more lumen power on my commuter, and I'm thinking of getting a pair of Fenix flashlights.

Been reading lots of love and affection from Fenix owners.

But before I throw down some whipout, I'd like to know if the current AA light is on the way out, to be replaced by a more lumen-heavy model.

Anyone have insight into what Fenix is planning, and when?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    Fenix is using the latest and brightest Cree and Luxeon LEDs and keeps on updating light heads as soon as new ones are available. My impression is that their light heads are permanently on the way out while bodies stayed the same for a while.

As to when, it should be possible to establish an analog of Moore's law for LED development by looking at data for introductions of LED lights in the past. Alternative is to search for Cree or Luxeon roadmap, and factor in Fenix delay.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Send a message to Fenix through the contact info on their site. They are pretty good about responding, based on my experience. Also, you probably can replace the LED if they come out with a more powerful one in the future.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    I'm using a Fenix light (handheld) with the new Cree LED. One AA battery and the range and brightness is almost as good as my LED 3D cell Mag light. It's just amazing. Battery life in the Fenix is great.

All I need is a mount for the bike and I'm good.

Team Tom's
    I have the Fenix T1 (tactical light) which has a power of 60 lumens in normal mode and 225 lumens in turbo mode. The brightest most durable light I've ever owned.

The LED is rated for 50,000 hours. The light is sealed, so it's water proof (dropped it with the light on to the bottom of my swimming pool in the dark, yup it's waterproof alright.) Anyway, this may not be the kind of light you're looking for but I just wanted to talk about it because it's so damn cool.

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    I used Surefires on my rail system. Those tac lights will blind you easy. 60 lumens is bright enough for anyone.
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

Cat 6 rider
    Check out actual bike lights like the Dinotte 200L and some of the others. I think they'll give you more usable light. Mountain Bike Review has several threads with beam shots from various lights.
    To the troll mobile, away...