RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007

Finally Found My Rhythm!

I've been riding about a year now, and fiddling around with different riding techniques. Being 6'3, I immediately thought of Ulrich and his big gears. I was okay with this at first but realized my legs were fatigued at only 40 miles, like completely shot! So over about the past month i've found my zone. I use low gearing with a fast cadence (95 rpm-100) and I gotta say, 40 miles is nothing, just completed my first century, thanks to all who helped convince me my size didnt mean i have to ride big gears!

What do most people ride, obviously it varies, low/high gearing/cadence?

Joelio

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I tend to stay over 70 RPM unless I am going up a steep hill and run out of gears and wattage I'd say 75-90 is my norm. I go higher if I'm feeling especially weak.
    Ridin' the Yellow Brick Road in KC!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    90-100 is the sweet spot for almost everyone, whether they realize it or not. Anyone who argues that they can grind a bigger gear more efficiently for over an hour is full of ****. Anyone riding with a Power Meter will confirm that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    I've been riding for some twenty years and always been a masher, pretty much always 70 RPM or below. But this season, particularly with the help of some serious time on the trainer with a cadence counter over the winter, I've gotten comfortable at 85 to 95 RPM.
    Some differences I've noted: My legs don't fatigue like they used to, and recover much quicker. Also, since spinning faster saves the quads from getting burned out, they're more available when I need them for short busts of power, like blowing the tops off smaller hills on rolling sections. I find that I can maintain average speeds much better on flats (which are rare around here) and even more so on long sections of rolling terrain.
    Now I find myself shifting down far more often than shifting up, or simply staying in the lower gear once I crest a small climb and go into the flat, or decline, on the other side. And really, I'm enjoying the cardio/respiratory burn more than the quad burn.

Slightly Opinionated
    I too converted from masher to spinner over the winter. I still mash it up on the mountain bike, but spinning is just so much more efficient on the road. Not to mention that it has allowed me to improve my climbing prowess exponentially in a short period of time.

Right now I've hit the early/mid season plateau of where my power just needs more work. Base miles are in, I'm recovering well, now I need to work on plain old power.

I ride in circles..
    My average cadance is around 85.. If I compare it to all my workouts I've improved from 78 to close to 90 on average.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~