Short legs spinnin' fast
    Dec 2007

First bike for kid--trike or push?

So my first kid's first birthday is coming up soon and he's getting his first bike. I can get a killer deal on a Giant trike or push bike and want him to have a cool first bike experience......just because I think they're cool. I'm not sure which is more appropriate for a small kid---the trike or the push bike. What say ye fellow RBR folks?

RoadBikeReview Member
    PUSH BIKE!!! My neighbor form germany has one and all the kids including mine learned to ride faster and drop tier training wheels form riding the balance/push bike.

This will allow them to "ride," but also have them learn the skills of handling and balance to ride a 2 wheel bike.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jlgoodin78
    So my first kid's first birthday is coming up soon and he's getting his first bike. I can get a killer deal on a Giant trike or push bike and want him to have a cool first bike experience......just because I think they're cool. I'm not sure which is more appropriate for a small kid---the trike or the push bike. What say ye fellow RBR folks?
    I'd think the trike is a bit much for a 1yo, he(she) probably wouldn't know what to do with the pedals, a push bike is probably the best way to go for a 1st bike.

Be sure to get a trailer or kid seat to mount on your bike for the little tyke. Whizzing around with dad will help develop the love for bikes .

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    In the same situation but with twins who will be one in june,I bought a cool trike from MR. Bike but decided to save it till xmas and get a push bike for bday.By the way,has anyone seen the cool 1936 replica trikes available at Sears/K-mart website? I want one!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Push bike. I got my daughter (who is almost 3 1/2) a trike when she was a year and a half or so and it took her a long time before she really knew what to do with the pedals. Now she can cruise around all day but that is a fairly recent development.

Short legs spinnin' fast
    Dec 2007
    Awesome. Thanks for the replies! Push bike it will be. And now I've also got to start watching Craigslist a little closer for a Burley or something similar! That would be perfect for recovery riding and fun with the tyke.

RoadBikeReview Member

Push bike, but don't push

You love cycling, and you want your child to love it someday. But everybody's different, and you can't guarantee a good experience at any given time. Get the bike, try to show him how to use it, try to let him have fun. But if he's not interested, doesn't like it, has a hard time with it, etc., back off. One year is very young. He may not be interested for year or two more. You don't want him to think of cycling as "something Daddy made me do and I hated it." Let him make his own schedule.

RoadBikeReview Member

Unanimous

Not that you need another reply, but I fervently recommend the push bike route to any friends and associates with kids. Both of my boys were riding by 3yo because of it, and neither used training wheels. JCavilia is right though, always let (not make) it be fun for them and it will reward you in spades.