RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012

Fizik Aliante Carbon - Is there an ergo alternative?

I love every aspect of my Fizik Aliante carbon rail saddle except it's making certain parts of my nether regions fall asleep on extended rides. This doesn't happen on my other bike with a WTB Silverado that has an ergo channel.

If you like the Aliante, WTB Silverado or original Selle San Marco Regal and are 180+ lbs then you're into my kind of saddle and I'd like your recommendations.

I'd like a saddle like the Aliante Carbon but with an ergo channel. So before you all say "Aliante Versus, duh" unfortunately the Versus isn't an Aliante with an ergo channel, it's much more casual, with a lot more padding, and no carbon (the carbon rails on the Aliante really add to ride quality, not just weight).

I'm thinking maybe WTB Silverado Carbon, Selle Italia SLR Flow, or Selle San Marco Aspide Carbon FX Arrowhead (though it looks a bit minimalist for endurance riding -- if only they made an ergo version of the Regale!)

I gues the Silverado Carbon is the obvious choice because the non-carbon version works well on my other bike, but it's not perfect, it's a little too flat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Can't wait to hear the answers, as I've been wondering the very same thing!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    I don't have a direct answer, however, I can say that for me the Alainte is very sensitive to "tilt angle". It took me forever to find the position that didn't cause problems, but now I have none of the problems you describe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldbrook View Post
    I love every aspect of my Fizik Aliante carbon rail saddle except it's making certain parts of my nether regions fall asleep on extended rides. This doesn't happen on my other bike with a WTB Silverado that has an ergo channel.

If you like the Aliante, WTB Silverado or original Selle San Marco Regal and are 180+ lbs then you're into my kind of saddle and I'd like your recommendations.

I'd like a saddle like the Aliante Carbon but with an ergo channel. So before you all say "Aliante Versus, duh" unfortunately the Versus isn't an Aliante with an ergo channel, it's much more casual, with a lot more padding, and no carbon (the carbon rails on the Aliante really add to ride quality, not just weight).

I'm thinking maybe WTB Silverado Carbon, Selle Italia SLR Flow, or Selle San Marco Aspide Carbon FX Arrowhead (though it looks a bit minimalist for endurance riding -- if only they made an ergo version of the Regale!)

I gues the Silverado Carbon is the obvious choice because the non-carbon version works well on my other bike, but it's not perfect, it's a little too flat.
    Have you looked at the Specialized Romin?

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Quote Originally Posted by lamazion View Post
    I don't have a direct answer, however, I can say that for me the Alainte is very sensitive to "tilt angle". It took me forever to find the position that didn't cause problems, but now I have none of the problems you describe.
    OP: Try lamazion's solution first.

If that doesn't work: The Selle SMP range of seats all have generous cut outs. I suggest the Dynamic and/or Lite 209 model if you don't get comfortable by playing with the seat angle of your Aliante.
    Last edited by kbwh; 02-27-2012 at 03:00 AM.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have two aliante versus saddles, they have a channel along the middle, I can't use with 150 miles each and just went to a selle italia slr flow. The flow is an excellent seat but very narrow compared to Fizik, 131mm vs 140ish for the fizik. I am in the same boat as you and have been trying to find a cross between the aliante versus and the slr flow. If you are interested in a versus, I have a white and a black saddle and will cut you a great deal on a like new seat. Like mentioned above all of the four fizik saddles I have tried none work for me and they are very sensitive to tilt.

I <3 1911s
    Quote Originally Posted by lamazion View Post
    +1 for tilt angle.

I had initial comfort problems with the Aliante because my weight wasn't on the rear portion of the saddle and I kept sliding forward to the narrow part. I kept tilting the nose of the saddle up by 1 degree increments until I got it just right. For me, the most comfortable position is with the nose 1 degree higher than the highest point on the back.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

teflondog's PedalRoom profile

- I -
    Selle SMP Pro...but every seat has a "sweet spot" (and some are sweeter than others).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldbrook View Post
    So before you all say "Aliante Versus, duh" unfortunately the Versus isn't an Aliante with an ergo channel, it's much more casual, with a lot more padding, and no carbon
    Even more egregious: Despite both saddles having a more-or-less identical shape (both in profile and in plan view), the rails on an Aliante Versus attach to the saddle at different points than they do on an Aliante Carbon or Aliante Kium! If you dial in your setback using one saddle, and then try to duplicate that fit with the other, the seatpost clamp will be in a different position on the rails...and that's if it's possible to duplicate at all without running out of rail!

I learned that painful lesson the hard way...