Older and a little slower

Fizik R3 brief review

I needed shoes to to replace my worn out Sidi's and thought I would try the FIzik R3's. I know that my disappointment will write this so take this with a grain of salt.

First, love the looks. They are a simple and understated shoe in appearance only, but the appearance is to me one great design. Classic black and white, without all the brash logo placement. The fit and finish is way above par. All seams and stitching are perfect, these are really a cut above any shoe in the 300 price range.

Fit is less snug than Sidi but snug in all the right areas with just enough room in the toe box. A lot of people have negatively criticized the ample arch support that is built into the shoe, but I feel that much of this the stock insole. It is the most support that I have ever tried in a stock shoe, but I like this since I have high arches.

Ugh,,, the deal breaker is that they rub my crank arms and my heel will hit the stay or base of the arm if I am not careful.

I moved the cleats all the way inward to move the shoe out, but it only alleviates the for sure rub/strikes and the inside of the shoes are so close that it takes next to no input to make them touch. This will drive me nuts. Wait, this drives me nuts. They are re-boxed and ready to ship back.

A longer spindle would work, but I am not ready to customize to this degree just for the sake of a new pair of shoes. These were supposed to replace my 10 yo Sidi's, now I am still on the hunt for a shoe that is, well, like my Sidi's...
    “Well, the bike racer is not that ferocious to look at, and lets face it, skeletal level of skinniness, also, the clothing is pretty odd”
    Bob Roll – 2011 Tour de France

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Penn...I was looking for a pair of shoes to rotate with my Sidis, but wanted something different. I tried probably four or five brands including the Fizik, but they were all too wide. I decided to try Gaerne, and met the local rep at a bike show a couple of months ago but he told me they do not have any dealers in my area. He confirmed what I read, similar width as Sidi but they run about a half size larger. I found some on clearance online and took the plunge. They fit very well and about the only difference is they have a larger toe box, but I have found that to be comfortable. I would recommend you check out the Gaerne Myst or Myst Plus if you can find them.

banned
    Oct 2001
    or maybe you should just replace your sidis with sidis. (AHA! Captain Obvious strikes again!)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Have you tried adding a simple 1mm pedal washer? may not seem like a lot but might be enough.

Also what type of pedals and cleats are you running? can you twist the cleat on the shoe or adjust the float on the pedal so there is some resistance when your heal gets close to rubbing.

2 simple fixes that may mean you get to keep the shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I also just picked up a pair of R3s and had the same issue with the heel rubbing the crank. Like Quattro suggested, I added some pedal washers which sovled the rubbing problem. In my opinion, finding a shoe that fits my foot well is just about as hard as finding that right saddle. So, a little bit of modification was a small price to pay for long term foot comfort.
    "The blue bird can sing but the crows got the soul"

Tried every position of my look cleat. It was best when fully angled but still rubbed. Thought about the washer, but then I was worried about having 1-2mm less threads in my crank arm. The keo 2 max has the extra length built in, but I did not want to buy new pedals just to fix a shoe issue.

Quattro - I have Look keo classics, grey cleat.

Yes Mdeth, I think another pair of Sidi's might be the ticket.
    “Well, the bike racer is not that ferocious to look at, and lets face it, skeletal level of skinniness, also, the clothing is pretty odd”

RoadBikeReview Member
    I run the same pedals they should come with washers. There will be no problem running 1mm per side. I would not go with more then that. I run my pedals that way for shoes that the ball of my foot was rubbing the crank arm. Could not get cleat in board enough to stop the rubbing, mostly a problem in the cold with to caps or booties. I just leave them on all the time, many happy miles with no issues.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    I have a pair of R3s that I received at Christmas and planning on saving for a new build that I was slowly pulling together. I have a set of Time (IClic) pedals set aside for the project. I guess I ought to try to check it out somehow. I hadn't previous heard of any issues with the R3 before and I had done a little research prior to the purchase. Thanks for the alert to a potential problem. It seems strange to me, however, that a shoe maker introducing a new product to the market would design a platform that would have an issue with a major pedal manufacture's product. You would think that the placement of drill holes on the shoe's sole would be fairly standard across designs.

Dave

classiquesklassieker
    Quote Originally Posted by GA1911 View Post
    Penn...I was looking for a pair of shoes to rotate with my Sidis, but wanted something different. I tried probably four or five brands including the Fizik, but they were all too wide. I decided to try Gaerne, and met the local rep at a bike show a couple of months ago but he told me they do not have any dealers in my area. He confirmed what I read, similar width as Sidi but they run about a half size larger. I found some on clearance online and took the plunge. They fit very well and about the only difference is they have a larger toe box, but I have found that to be comfortable. I would recommend you check out the Gaerne Myst or Myst Plus if you can find them.
    I use Gaerne Myst, I bought my pair in 2008. Nicely made, very stiff bottom and nice snug fit overall. Size runs 1/2 larger than Sidi, so I used size 44 Sidi but size 43.5 Gaerne.

Not sure where to get Gaerne in the US these days, when I bought them VeloEuropa was an importer/dealer, but they don't carry this brand anymore.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by orange_julius View Post
    I use Gaerne Myst, I bought my pair in 2008. Nicely made, very stiff bottom and nice snug fit overall. Size runs 1/2 larger than Sidi, so I used size 44 Sidi but size 43.5 Gaerne.

Not sure where to get Gaerne in the US these days, when I bought them VeloEuropa was an importer/dealer, but they don't carry this brand anymore.
    I just bought some Gaerne carbon g. coste shoes and they are great. Got mine with the "reflex" finish for night riding. Still made in Italy, I'm surprised this brand isn't more well known. Bikebling.com is where I got mine; they carry the full line, and at good prices, too.

It is weird.. All looks proper, the holes seem to be drilled in the right position, but what do I really know about the process. The difference in shoe to crank arm between the R3 and my Sidi's is quite a bit.

Try your R3's and report back. If they work for you then something is wrong with me or my set up. They are a great looking shoe, built well, but they may be trying to cut it a little too close..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    I just used my new Sidi Ergo 3's over the weekend and was worried about having to break in a new pair of shoes. To my surprise they were very comfotable from the start.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    I just did a quick test with my R3s tonight. The left shoe did slightly rub the crank arm at the ball of the foot. The heel was fine. I initially fit the cleat (Time Iclic) with the closest Q factor. I pulled the cleat off and swapped them around for a more distant Q factor and the left shoe did not rub. It still remains closer than the right but seems like it will be okay. The cleats are old ones that I replaced and consequently they are a bit looser than a new set. So, perhaps this was a factor (although I think it would be more a factor at the heel than the ball of the foot). For the time being, I will keep them. They did feel nice. My next ride, I'm going to see if my Sidi 6.6s are similarly not equidistant from the crank arms.
    The pedals appeared to be threaded equally.

Dave

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Don't Time pedals allow 2.5mm of lateral movement, altering the Q factor of your feet (not angular float)? They certainly did in previous designs and that was the reason I gave up on them. Could be that your legs are putting your feet in positions that are differing distances away from the crankarm because the pedal/cleat allows them? You'll only really know if you mount some pedals and cleats that allow for no lateral movement. (spd-sl included. It's not advertised, but it's in there, and moreso than the Time design).

If you want a great pedal with differing stance widths, try Keywin CRM pedals. They come in 5 different axle lengths, so you will be sure to be able to get what you need.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    On the Time cleats, the Q factor is determine by which cleat is put on which shoe. One selection offers a wider Q factor and the other a narrower Q factor. On my Sidi's, I have the cleats set up for a narrower placement. On the R3s, it appears that only the wider cleat placement will permit the shoe to cycle without brushing against the crank arm. I had a no float position selected as well, but again, the cleat was worn so it was a little loser than a new cleat (although the looseness should really only allow the heel to move somewhat more freely vice the ball area of the foot).
    Dave

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    from CC's copy:

"In keeping with Time's signature characteristics, the Iclic Racer Pedals have both lateral float (2.5mm) and sprung angular float (+5°). The shape of the cleat and the spring tension on the retention bar control the angular float. It self-centers, giving you a secure feeling compared to pedals with truly free floating cleats. There is a three-position adjuster for the spring tension so you can dial them in to suit your preferences.

The Time Iclic Racer Pedals are White. They have a composite body with sealed bearings and a steel spindle. The included three-hole Café Cleats are asymmetrical to allow a 2.5mm Q-Factor adjustment depending on which foot gets which cleat. They have non-slip material at the wear points to protect the structural portions and give you better traction on slippery surfaces."

There is a 2.5mm lateral float in the cleat itself, independent of which shoe you mount which cleat on. Changing the cleats from one shoe to the other will change the base point of the Q width, but once that is set, there will be 2.5mm of lateral movement about that base point when the cleat is clicked in.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Okay, I get what you are saying now. My apologies for being slow on the uptake. The base Q-factor adjustment seemed to offer some clearance. It was too close before regardless... which doesn't appear to be the case with my Sidis. It would be interesting to know which pedals the R3s have issues with, because I researched the shoe a bit before I purchased theme and did not hear of any of these problems before. I have Campy (Chorus11) cranks.
    Dave