RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009

Flat and Pepper.

Today, I went out to ride with my group. I had changed my wheels and was planning on laying low for most of the ride.

I figured, I'll hang around the back for today.

"Lot of people today", I said to Jose (one of the alpha males in the group) as I got to the bike shop. Jose gave the order to take off and we did. Most on the people on this ride were new to me. Strange. There is something in the air...

As we headed out of the city, I notice that I forgot to "sync my derailleur" with the wheels and the low gears were skipping the chain. No big deal, its a slow ride anyway. I'll just use the higher gears with a low cadence for today. No biggie really.

That's not the problem. But this is:

A few miles into the ride, two dogs started barking in front of the group. I was sitting in the back watching the whole thing unfold.

But the guy in front of me (one of the "unknowns") put out a can of pepper and spray the animals... and me! Pepper went immediately to my skin creating a rash from hell. I had my sunglasses on but that did little to avoid pepper going into my eyes.

I went ahead and try to approach the imbecile who did not take in consideration the people behind him when he decided to take action against the dogs.

When this happened:

Another dog on the side of the road "attacked". And by attack I mean, he just stood on the side of the road barking at the riders. No harm intended that I could see. When another rider (a different rider), took out another can of spray pepper and completely gave me a bath in this thing. He and his retard friend laugh at the dog. Again, I went into panic as I could not see at all and my exposed skin is burning like hell. I yelled out: "Stop doing that!! You got people behind you".

Then this: By trying to avoid hitting something while riding blindfolded, I went to the side of the road and got a flat.

No one stopped (not one of them) when I yelled "flat tire!!".

I will make some calls to see if anyone knows these two turds and have a word with them on Saturday morning if I see them.

No more sitting in the back for me.

So what do you think? Am I surrounded by idiots?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Yes, that is unacceptable behavior...big time. Find them and give them a chewing out. Don't ride near the back unless you know everyone on the ride.
    With people like Peter P. around, I am done posting on this website. Mean people have driven me off after 9 plus years. Good luck newbies beware.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Sounds like a$$holes. Completely poor behavior

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    What the hell? I'm speechless seriously... How stupid can you be?!
    "Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I have hope for the human race."
    - H.G. Wells

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    And yet one more reason I don't do group rides. It always ends up poorly and I usually piss off somebody . I tend to not keep my mouth shut with people like that

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    I have to be careful. My wife is terrified of dogs. She panicked and started spraying a dog from the back of the tandem. Unfortunately she was spraying the back of my leg. I have to take this into consideration before I agree with your turd comment

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    I have to be careful. My wife is terrified of dogs. She panicked and started spraying a dog from the back of the tandem. Unfortunately she was spraying the back of my leg. I have to take this into consideration before I agree with your turd comment

Point taken. Just tell her not to spray your leg(point sideways) or simply spray the dog with water.
    Last edited by ColoColo; 08-10-2012 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Format

T K
    wasssabi
    Sounds like you were on a ride with Beavis and Butt-head. Idiots.
    I learned a while back, many group rides are about as safe as Cat 5 crits. Or, less safe.
    I try to avoid them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by T K View Post
    Sounds like you were on a ride with Beavis and Butt-head. Idiots.
    I learned a while back, many group rides are about as safe as Cat 5 crits. Or, less safe.
    I try to avoid them.
    Ditto....IMO, the trade off of an unknown group ride is not worth the anxiety or increased risk, just to say I went faster. If I ride with a friend or two, we just ride side by side or somewhat nearby.

Those two deserve a beatdown.for pure stupidity

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoColo View Post
    Today, I went out to ride with my group. I had changed my wheels and was planning on laying low for most of the ride.

I figured, I'll hang around the back for today.

"Lot of people today", I said to Jose (one of the alpha males in the group) as I got to the bike shop. Jose gave the order to take off and we did. Most on the people on this ride were new to me. Strange. There is something in the air...

As we headed out of the city, I notice that I forgot to "sync my derailleur" with the wheels and the low gears were skipping the chain. No big deal, its a slow ride anyway. I'll just use the higher gears with a low cadence for today. No biggie really.

That's not the problem. But this is:

A few miles into the ride, two dogs started barking in front of the group. I was sitting in the back watching the whole thing unfold.

But the guy in front of me (one of the "unknowns") put out a can of pepper and spray the animals... and me! Pepper went immediately to my skin creating a rash from hell. I had my sunglasses on but that did little to avoid pepper going into my eyes.

I went ahead and try to approach the imbecile who did not take in consideration the people behind him when he decided to take action against the dogs.

When this happened:

Another dog on the side of the road "attacked". And by attack I mean, he just stood on the side of the road barking at the riders. No harm intended that I could see. When another rider (a different rider), took out another can of spray pepper and completely gave me a bath in this thing. He and his retard friend laugh at the dog. Again, I went into panic as I could not see at all and my exposed skin is burning like hell. I yelled out: "Stop doing that!! You got people behind you".

Then this: By trying to avoid hitting something while riding blindfolded, I went to the side of the road and got a flat.

No one stopped (not one of them) when I yelled "flat tire!!".

I will make some calls to see if anyone knows these two turds and have a word with them on Saturday morning if I see them.

No more sitting in the back for me.

So what do you think? Am I surrounded by idiots?
    That kind of behavior is worthy of a frame pump to the spokes.

Christopher Teifke
    Aug 2012
    Oh my word! I would never ride with anyone who's deafult mode was to pepper spray an animal who wasn't chasing them, and even then that's so over reacting! Who hasn't been chased for at least a little bit, comes with the territory.
    - Christopher Teifke -