Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Until last week, I can honestly say I can't ever recall having a flat at all...of course my memory of my cycling days back in the early 80's is fairly dim.

I started cycling again in early 2014, and since then have accumulated about 14k flat free miles. Almost all of them on Continental 4 season on HED Belguim rims.

And I am one of the idiots who rotates rear tires to the front... zero flats.

The one exception happened to me last week. I was riding down a bike lane in my neighborhood. A bright sunny day on a slight downhill, going about 20mph. As I rode under an overpass, riding from bright sun into shade, there was a metal strap band across the entire bike lane. I didn't have time to avoid it and hit it full speed. It sliced both of my tires almost to the rims. I came to a stop pretty quickly and didn't ever lose control of the bike in the process. I had to walk it home about 1.5 miles. Other than a slightly bruised ego and the loss of some fairly expensive tires, everything was fine.

So,my ratio is 1:1, but I think my situation is a bit of an outlier considering how many miles and ride with no flats, and the circumstances of the two that I did have.

No lie, man!
    With about 1k miles on my new frame, I have had one flat, on the front. Very pointy rock punctured right in the center of the tire tread. Thankfully, a slow leak on a rainy ride allowed me to get home before I had to stop and change it.
    "Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners." - George Carlin

"... we're rewarded for our ruthlessness and reprimanded for our truthfulness..." Aaron Lee Martin

Being in the minority doesn't make you wrong, only unpopular.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    5% of the time 100% of my flats have been the front tire

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    38 rear, 14 front flats experienced over 24 years and 158,000 miles. Seems like a lot, but 1 flat every 3,000 miles doesn't seem that bad.
    Last edited by AlanE; 05-14-2016 at 02:25 AM.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    but if it were a significant contributor to rear flats, I'd expect to see the same results from the rear wheel of the rider in front, "positioning offending objects" for the front tire of the following rider... which doesn't seem to bear out in our anecdotal statistics.
    I can't comment whether the hypothesis is correct, but it wouldn't apply to following riders unless they were 1) very close behind (the distance between front and rear wheel for example) or 2) (and most significant) following EXACTLY in your tire track, as the rear wheel is almost always doing relative to the front wheel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    last ten years: zero 'flats' per se

but last year as my rear tire was wearing thin, I developed slow leaks (Rubino tires) which never went down during a ride, but later at home over night. Could not find the microscopic contamination, but the leaks went away with a new tire. But majority of my miles were on a gravel bike with Gator Hardshells, with which I had zero leaks.

I have had multiple 'burps' from my mtb tubeless. and today I experienced a slow leak that got low enough in 50 minutes that I dented my rim on a rock (!). Pumped it up, but the leak accelerated. Just needs more Stans goop in there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Interesting thread. I'm guesstimating three rear to each front, with the most recent being the front. I don't get many flats; I take them as a sign the tires are wearing and replace both.
    It's Mueller Time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I get plenty of front flats, but more rear, mainly if I go over a stone on the rear, good chance of a flat (pinch flat typically). Also agree that rear wears out faster and worn tires flat easier. But when it comes to thorns, they are equal opportunity. I would guesstimate I am in the range of 3:1 to 5:1 rear to front. I just patched a front tube yesterday, so maybe I am just sensitive to front flats these days.

scott s.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Guys, guys, guys... this is just another corollary to Murphy's Law (just like if you head out on a ride with 50 miles of headwinds that wind will shift on you when you turn for home). A rear flat is a more complicated repair, so the vast majority of our flats will be on the rear. And please don't ever leave home with just one CO2 cartiridge - Murphy will make sure that you get a second puncture before you make it home...
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had my first front flat (pinch flat) in over 2 years from a small pot hole. I do run 85 lbs in the front though.
    Wilier GTS W/helium filled tires
    Kestrel Talon
    Nishiki FS2
    Colnago Super

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    38 rear, 14 front flats experienced over 24 years and 158,000 miles. Seems like a lot, but 1 flat every 3,000 miles doesn't seem that bad.
    I'm pretty impressed to see this quality of record keeping.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    Yeah, that's roughly the same rate as me, only I pretty much never get front flats.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Two of my last three flats have been front. Creaming a hole or a rock or something is usually the culprit.

I'd say I'm pretty even on front vs rear over all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mostly rear flats for me, too. These theories are my favorites:

1. Murphy's Law.
    2. Worn tires are easier to flat, and of a new pair, the rear wears out faster. Front-to-back rotation, while a sound idea, accentuates the wear difference.

Truth is, I'm not convinced by any of the theories. The people who studied how a bike stays upright should look into this.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    I got my first flat of the season. It was a puncture to the rear while in a descent.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

Off the back
    Experienced a front puncture about a week ago. My ratio over the past twenty years seems to run 3 to 1, rear vs front, with one occurring every 1,500 miles. I tend to ride lightweight tires more prone to puncture, but handle superior over the thick reinforced jobbers.

Yeah, the front takes less of the downforce. Plus one tends to spot or hear road debris that affixes to the front. Easily scraped off before anything bad happens.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    More pressure on the rear tire? The rear wheel wears out faster, which means less rubber between the tube and the road. What I want to know is where can I get super thick TUBES?

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by rooksmith View Post
    More pressure on the rear tire?
    yes. the rear supports most of your weight.

What I want to know is where can I get super thick TUBES?
    those are gross and heavy.

if you're flatting often due to road debris and can't change your route, mount gatorskins or similar tires.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    More weight on the rear = more possibilities of flats in the rear tire, not rocket science people.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Since the start of this thread I've tacked on another 5,500 miles and gotten 5 more flats. All in the rear.

On a side note, I hit a rock once so hard it kinked my rim, but somehow, did not pinch flat the tire.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't buy Jobst Brant's reasoning. In the past 3 years I've had 9 flats, and all have been on the front. My weight distribution is different than most of yours', which I believe explains the difference. If the bouncing thing were at all true, I'd have at least a few rear flats.

Fecal indicator
    flatted this morning, first one in almost 7 months...

it was a rear tire.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

Seat's not level
    Definitely more on the rear. Don't keep track of how many of each.

Although, now that I put about an ounce of stan's in the tubes, flats are more infrequent than before... by a lot
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    More weight on the rear = more possibilities of flats in the rear tire, not rocket science people.
    This, and that added weight on the rear causes the tire to be thinner/more worn/more susceptible to flatting than the front.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Interesting discussion. My ratio is about 10-1. Definitely more rear flats than front. I once hit a rock at 30mph when gazing at the scenery and flatted the front. That was not fun, but I didn't crash somehow.

I don't think I've ever flatted the front tire on my mountain bike, but the rear happens 6-8x/year even when tubeless.
    I like to ride fast.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast