RoadBikeReview Member

Fluid-filled bulge on elbow

Slid down while riding a couple months ago and bumped my right elbow. It had the usual road rash and it swelled up a little for a few days, then the swelling decreased. Oddly a fluid-filled bulge about the size of a ping pong ball remained. No pain, even when I pressed on the bulge hard as possible. I waited a few weeks thinking it might go away, then saw a doctor. She used a needle and drew about 12cc's of fluid, which tested negative for infection. A couple of days later it grew back, I made another appointment and had it drained again with same result. Now it's back again and I'm pretty much resigned to just living with it. Looks a bit freakish, but otherwise is no problem.

My question (for the medically inclined out there): is this alien being on my elbow likely to turn into something problematic later? My doc is pretty young and said the only thing similar she's seen was a patient with gout, but it had a completely different cause, etc.

Thanks!

Road Bike Mike
    Sounds like a ganglion cyst...

and it sounds like you may need a new, more experienced, doctor.
    Road Bike Mike
    Sharing the Love of Road Cycling

Endurance Cyclist
    Mar 2012
    Sounds more like Bursitis. If it is, and it is not infected then you may be inflaming it by resting your elbows on the desk at work, or doing some sort of repetitive motion with the arm. Again, if no infection then rest (as in weeks) should take care of it, but that is provided you do not irritate the elbow at all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Yup bursitis most likely.

Frog Whisperer
    That happened to me when I crashed once, I wrapped an ace bandage around it and it forced all the fluid down to my hand, then it went away!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am not a Doctor
    And I have been fairly athletic my whole life.
    I had a similar fall in gymnastics it later (about 10 years) became a big issue. The doctor called it Cellulitis.
    This can be a big issue.
    I guess most times Cellulitis is a skin issue but for me being in sports football, wrestling, and gymnastics and constantly hitting my elbow the issue really got bad.
    They lanced it and filled it with gaze that wasn't the worst part. After a few days they took the gaze out. Wow that hurt.
    The only drug they gave me when it flaired up was antibiotics. This brought the swelling down but about every year it would come back.
    I remember being completely broke one year and my elbow was getting bad. Without the antibiotics this would really get bad. I looked up on line for natural antibiotics and found
    colloidal silver this stuff is amazing I can tell you I never had a problem again with my elbow. Doctors told me it does not work. I can tell you it did.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001858/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Colloidal silver is also being used on Fox to bring Alcatraz prisoners back into the present day to commit murderous acts. But hey if it gets rid of alien beings on elbows, all the better
    -Consistently ride every day I'm not working, rain or shine.
    -Ride a century by the end of summer.
    -Complete the High Country Pathway ride (80mile mtb ride in northern MI)
    -Do the Make a Wish Michigan ride (300miles in 3 days)

Endurance Cyclist
    Mar 2012
    The growth did not test positive for infection, the celluitis you (horvatht) had was. The Ganglion Cyst or Bursitis are good bets. The two conditions present similarlly. An x-ray would be able to tell if it was a cyst which may need to be removed from the offending tendon or ligiment surgically, or if it's simple bursitis. As long as there is no pain or irritation at the site then there is not much need to worry. Pain would indicate an infection which would need medical attention.

Pitts Pilot
    Dec 2011
    I had some elbow rash recently that did exactly the same thing. When I'd poke it and drain it, it would fill up again in a couple days. Finally I quit messing with it and it finally went away just a week or two ago. The crash was late December. Mine wasn't quite a large as you describe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to just live with it for now. Hate to see the look of revulsion on Italian babes faces' at the beach this summer though ;-(

Endurance Cyclist
    Mar 2012
    Don't feel too bad Bill, One of the times I broke my arm left me with a wad of scar tissue under the skin. It's hard, does not budge. It looks like a ping pong ball is about 3/4 burried under my skin (so it's sticking out only about 10mm...

not so bad until I turn my arm and it sticks out another 10mm. By cocking my wrist I can make it "bounce" up and down. Really grosses out the kids. As I have had it since 1994, I don't think its going to go away and losing weight recently has just made it appear bigger.