RoadBikeReview Member

Fly6 HD Camera/Flasher stopped working. Get another or switch to different unit?

Hey Guys & Gals,

I had bought a Cycliq Fly6, which is a tail light flasher and HD camera unit. I paid over $200 USD at the time (2 years ago) and now it has stopped working all together. Won't turn on. The Cycliq help desk was very helpful with suggestions, but in spite of those tips, my unit still won't turn on.

They've stated that I'm outside the warranty (understandable) and could offer me a discount price on a replacement. Just curious if you guys recommend I get another (I was quite happy with mine until it stopped working two days ago) or is there another brand HD Camera/ Flasher you might recommend?

Cheers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's simply the battery cell has been drained too far. A known flaw. But costs about $5-20 to fix. It takes the very common and conventional 18650 li-ion cell (non-protected type). I bought my cell a 5min drive away at a battery shop.

I recently installed my new cell in my original FLy 6. Works great again. I did have to solder on the contacts to the new cell - easy for me as I solder electronics all the time. Ideally you get the cells with solder tabs on them already so no worries about heating up the cell internals. (A higher power soldering iron does this more quickly = more safely)

https://medium.com/@bikebot/fly-6-ba...t-cdbcd09150ce

https://www.amazon.com/2500mah-disch...rds=18650+cell

w solder tabs
    3.7 Volt Lithium Ion 18650 Rechargeable Battery with Tabs (2200 mAh)

countless places sell these cells.

Or .. sell your old light to me, for cheap (PM me if you want)
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 05-16-2017 at 04:18 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    Mine died too but they sent me a replacement for free. The new one has been working fine so far. Amazon has them for $139. What is Cycliq offering a replacement for?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    It's simply the battery cell has been drained too far. A known flaw. But costs about $5-20 to fix. It takes the very common and conventional 18650 li-ion cell (non-protected type). I bought my cell a 5min drive away at a battery shop.

I recently installed my new cell in my original FLy 6. Works great again. I did have to solder on the contacts to the new cell - easy for me as I solder electronics all the time. Ideally you get the cells with solder tabs on them already so no worries about heating up the cell internals. (A higher power soldering iron does this more quickly = more safely)

https://medium.com/@bikebot/fly-6-ba...t-cdbcd09150ce

https://www.amazon.com/2500mah-disch...rds=18650+cell

w solder tabs
    3.7 Volt Lithium Ion 18650 Rechargeable Battery with Tabs (2200 mAh)

countless places sell these cells.

Or .. sell your old light to me, for cheap (PM me if you want)
    Wow, great information. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the exploding battery warning! Other than that, looks like a piece of cake to repair. I may take you up on your offer to sell you mine and purchase a replacement unit.

Forever a Student
    Whatever you decide, I'd suggest sticking with the product. Fix yours, get a new one, whatever, but keep using it.

I'm on my third or fourth one now. Original died and they replaced it. Sold replacement to buy version 2. That got stolen so I bought another version 2, it's worked great for a long time now. Version 3 is just a different mounting system to 2 but otherwise the same internally.

If my current one died, I'd fix it or whatever and keep using it. I rarely ever view the footage since I've been running a nice front camera, but it's always good to have. And of course, when I didn't have it for whatever reason, something would happen I wanted rear footage of.

Basically a mandatory piece of kit of you ask me.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmbuckwa View Post
    Mine died too but they sent me a replacement for free. The new one has been working fine so far. Amazon has them for $139. What is Cycliq offering a replacement for?
    They have not gotten back to me with a discounted replacement cost. Curious what they'll offer. I am really disappointed that the unit failed and I'm outside the warranty.

RoadBikeReview Member
    they offered me replacement at a reduced price. but not very much reduced. so I replaced my battery instead

RoadBikeReview Member
    they offered me replacement at a reduced price. but not very much reduced. so I replaced my battery instead
    The instructions from medium.com link seem straight forward enough. Pull the old battery, transfer the terminal strip, tape it all up, & re-install. How dangerous is handling and stripping down the original battery? Risk of explosion makes me think 'no thanks!' Cleary you've done this process and lived to tell me about it! In spite of the safety precautions, I could wear protective goggles, gloves, and give it a try. Seems to be cost-effective.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Quote Originally Posted by skhan007 View Post
    Risk of explosion makes me think 'no thanks!' Cleary you've done this process and lived to tell me about it! In spite of the safety precautions, I could wear protective goggles, gloves, and give it a try.
    You'll be fine so long as the new battery doesn't have Samsung written on the side.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The instructions from medium.com link seem straight forward enough. Pull the old battery, transfer the terminal strip, tape it all up, & re-install. How dangerous is handling and stripping down the original battery? Risk of explosion makes me think 'no thanks!' Cleary you've done this process and lived to tell me about it! In spite of the safety precautions, I could wear protective goggles, gloves, and give it a try. Seems to be cost-effective.
    I like that guy's helpful blog, but I disagree with his non-soldering approach. You'll note some have run into difficulties doing it that way, due to insufficient contact. We're on bikes bouncing around and I think that connection must be soldered (or spot-welded like the oem one).

maybe ask around for a friend with soldering experience. It just has to be done quickly and ideally with a soldering station. (I am a RC aircraft enthusiast so I am soldering stuff all the time, and have this equipment.) Probably cannot find anyone who blew up a cell while soldering it, but there is a small risk. Maybe do it outdoors.

If you get the battery with the pre-attached soldering tabs, then the risk is a lot lower and can probably just use a cheap soldering iron (pencil type).

-

it is a shame that the original design didn't just have a removable-battery design. Plenty of flashlights use these same 18650 cells which are removed for charging just like a AA cell. Might be possible to fabricate our own system to achieve this, using a spring at one end. But I do not mind soldering in a new cell every 2 years
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 05-17-2017 at 09:09 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like that guy's helpful blog, but I disagree with his non-soldering approach. You'll note some have run into difficulties doing it that way, due to insufficient contact. We're on bikes bouncing around and I think that connection must be soldered (or spot-welded like the oem one).

maybe ask around for a friend with soldering experience. It just has to be done quickly and ideally with a soldering station. (I am a RC aircraft enthusiast so I am soldering stuff all the time, and have this equipment.) Probably cannot find anyone who blew up a cell while soldering it, but there is a small risk. Maybe do it outdoors.

If you get the battery with the pre-attached soldering tabs, then the risk is a lot lower and can probably just use a cheap soldering iron (pencil type).

-

it is a shame that the original design didn't just have a removable-battery design. Plenty of flashlights use these same 18650 cells which are removed for charging just like a AA cell. Might be possible to fabricate our own system to achieve this, using a spring at one end. But I do not mind soldering in a new cell every 2 years
    Cool. Thank you for the guidance. I'm really good with soldering, as I work on audio amplifiers and electric guitars all the time. The cell with the tabs would definitely eliminate risk, so I may give it a go!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Cycliq just got back to me this morning. They'll give me a replacement for 20% off. Not bad, but not great, as I spent $210 on my first one and it's only two years old. I may try the battery replacement/repair route and hope I get it right.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    Cycliq just got back to me this morning. They'll give me a replacement for 20% off. Not bad, but not great, as I spent $210 on my first one and it's only two years old. I may try the battery replacement/repair route and hope I get it right.
    wow, 20% off for what seems to be a known cheap Asian battery issue seems to me like they are trying to ignore a problem. I'd love to know the estimated hrs you all have had into these units before failure. I have been wanting to get one but it seems like a bad investment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by romrah View Post
    wow, 20% off for what seems to be a known cheap Asian battery issue seems to me like they are trying to ignore a problem. I'd love to know the estimated hrs you all have had into these units before failure. I have been wanting to get one but it seems like a bad investment.
    Hard to say how many hours. I had the unit 2 years and used it maybe 6-8 hours /week. I don't think it's a bad investment today, as the price has come down and they've addressed the battery issue in the newer units. Also, safety equipment is never a bad investment. All electronics have a certain life span, so try not to think of them as "investments."Just got my replacement in the mail, so I'll charge it up and get back in the saddle.