RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

Fondriest Top Level, anyone have one

Anyone ride one, im thinking about buying it. Not alot of reviews to form an opinion.

thanks
    isaiah

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Nope, but I have a Carb Level (same bike as the Top Level, but with carbon seatstays). Easily the best bike I have owned (I have also owned a Colnago CT1, Tecnos, and Dream Plus, as well as a Litespeed Vortex and Look KG281-I like to buy and sell used frames, so that I can try them out after the depreciation has already taken place). Very stable at speed (as much so as Colnago) but with much more snap and quickness. It seems to combine the best of both worlds-Mercedes S-class ride and stability at speed, yet Porsche quickness and handling. I really don't think you will find a better aluminum frame, at any price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    I found a top level and a Giant TCR compoist 2, for the same price, so i am trying to figure out which one to buy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    I took the TCR Comp. out for a test spin last week.. The Top Level is a snappier aluminum ride and would be my choice for a race bike. It is fairly comfortable for an alloy bike, but can't compare to carbon. My Carb Level rides smoother than the CT1 (it will be a smoother ride than the Top Level, but not by too much). The TCR comp. will be a much better bike for rough roads-real smooth, but it didn't handle as well (at least for my test ride) and has only 4 sizes, making sizing difficult. It actually felt kind of flexy, at least to the C-dale Six13 I was comparing it to (and to my Carb Level). To me, the Top Level/Carb Level is really like a very nice sports car that is meant to be ridden fairly aggressively, but can relax on occasion. The TCR comp. felt more like a Cadillac with quicker than expected steering-nice and comfortable, but not in the same league handling-wise. Then again, if your roads are bad, you don't have twisting mountain ascents or steep climbs, the TCR Comp. may be just the ticket. You also may check out the Look KG 461: C-40 really likes his. All are great frames!
    Last edited by dawgcatching; 07-18-2004 at 06:13 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    you are making me want this bike more

sounds like its what i am looking for

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by footballcat
    Anyone ride one, im thinking about buying it. Not alot of reviews to form an opinion.

thanks
    isaiah

One of my 13 is a Top Level, built with Chorus and Velomax Ascent II wheels. Easily a favorite and among the aluminum bikes I ride, unquestionably #1.

I like everything about it - light enough, very quick, good ride, lot's of get up and go. Looks great too.

I like it so much, I'm pining for a Carb Level Plus. Great bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

very quick steering...

Fondiest's have the quickest steering of any bike I've owned, due to a combination of short wheelbase and less than average steering traiI (expect significant toe overlap). I really liked my Fondriest, EXCEPT is gusty winds, where it could become a handful. Under all other condions it was great.

rock n rolling resistance

R U going to buy it online...

Quote Originally Posted by footballcat
    you are making me want this bike more

sounds like its what i am looking for
    from PR4 group? If so, go to the purchase page. It'll show their inventory...they hardly have any non-carbon frames left.

If they have your size there is a survey they've emailed out on 3/12/04 that if you fill out they'll give you $250 discount on 04 frames until 8/31/04. I tried to copy the link but I think they made it so you can't do that...

Here is what I could copy from the address... it's the survey I've filled out a while ago but did not use the code with a purchase since they didn't have my size frame. Worth trying it if you can't find the original survey email from your trash....I found mine in my outlook trash box.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/Users/12...U=50400413806&

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 6was9
    from PR4 group? If so, go to the purchase page. It'll show their inventory...they hardly have any non-carbon frames left.
    Where is this inventory page? Can you give me a link?

Oh yeah, I love my Top Level too. For all the reasons listed above, it is the best frame I have ridden to date (not that that list is very long, but..)

Just go the the Fondriest site...

Quote Originally Posted by collinsc
    Where is this inventory page? Can you give me a link?

Oh yeah, I love my Top Level too. For all the reasons listed above, it is the best frame I have ridden to date (not that that list is very long, but..)
    http://www.fondriest-usa.com/index.php

and click on the "purchase now" or something, I believe. It's a PDF which have marking on the each frame's size column to show whether they have any....

Okay here it is...

and click on the "purchase now" or something, I believe. It's a PDF which have marking on the each frame's size column to show whether they have any....
    Click on the navigation, then go to "store", then click on the "2. down load direct order form pdf."

DonRacer

Link to pdf

Try:
    http://www.fondriest-usa.com/downloads/order.pdf