Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I make Eagles fly
    Jan 2015

Foot pain from climbing

My rt foot gets a ton of pain when I do big climbs. The location is about 1 inch behind my pinky toe and only on the one side. Though it could be shoes, but I have the same problem Teva flats, 510 flats, Garne MTB , 661 MTB and my road shoes. So 5 different shoes on 3 different bikes and massive pain when mashing hard on big climbs.

Any tips on what hat I can do ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrasmak View Post
    My rt foot gets a ton of pain when I do big climbs. The location is about 1 inch behind my pinky toe and only on the one side. Though it could be shoes, but I have the same problem Teva flats, 510 flats, Garne MTB , 661 MTB and my road shoes. So 5 different shoes on 3 different bikes and massive pain when mashing hard on big climbs.

Any tips on what hat I can do ?
    Too many things to consider, I've been there and found out my saddle was 2 mm way too high so that when I was "pulling up" the pedal from the lowest point my pinky toe ended up pressed by the shoe. On top of that I have large-ish feet,moving to a larger toe shoes helped me a lot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    I sprained my foot pedaling 3 weeks ago and had to buy a new shoe that the sole went from left to right completely. The previous weird tennis only shoes had a 1" wide sole in the arch area. Took a week on the new shoes for the foot to stop hurting
    They make steel shank shoes for industry that are not flexible. There is a steel plate in the sole to prevent nails from going through. You might try a pair of those if you can get a proper fit. Meanwhile walk up the hills until your foot heals up. If the foot doesn't improve in a couple of weeks, see a podiatrist. Sometimes they have to tape the foot up for the cartledge to get back together again. I had a sprained foot problem that lasted 6 months, and the surgeon I visited didn't know about that technique. He just prescribed more ibuprofen. The podiatrist did know about the tape technique, the foot healed up in two weeks.

.je
    JRA FYI
    I have E size feet, so a lot of shoes are too narrow. Ive had that problem and made it better or disappear by angling cleats like my feet do so the outside part, behind the toe, isn't pressed against the outside of the shoe (so the cleats are toed-in). Give that a try first, before considering wider or larger shoes, which you may end up needing.

TBH, it sounds that your feet also roll to the outside so an insole that lifts to the ball of your foot, or a shoe that already has it like the Specialized, could help.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Get some orthotics for your shoes. Specialized makes some good ones. A good arch support will distribute the pressure on your feet.

I make Eagles fly
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mfdemicco View Post
    Get some orthotics for your shoes. Specialized makes some good ones. A good arch support will distribute the pressure on your feet.
    I will check with my local dealer on that.

Its odd, anytime I do a bigger climb or do a lot of sprinting I have the problem. Once the pain sets in, even riding the flats or downhill begin to suck. Couple hours after I get home, all pain goes away and I'm good to go.

Nothing else triggers this, I run, hike , etc etc , just riding my road or Mtb.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Too old to ride plastic

I make Eagles fly
    Jan 2015
    Tried some RP5 shoes on the other day at REI , end if year sale, l, they fit me so much better then the lower end shoes I was wearing. See what happens.

Forever a Student
    My guess is your technique and imbalance.

When climbing or sprinting is when you get out of the saddle and apply a lot of foot pressure.

Your pain is on the outside of your foot.

The reason we rock the bike back and forth is so that we can apply pressure with the ball of our foot, not the outside.

I'm guessing you rock the bike to one side, then back to upright, then back to that one side again. So with one foot you're pushing with the ball and then making the other foot push with the outside/pinky area.

To fix this you have to concentrate on rocking the bike evenly left to right and focus on putting pressure on the balls of your feet instead of the outside of them, both of them.

I first noticed myself doing this by using a front camera and watching how the bike was not rocking evenly left and right.

New shoes won't fix anything. The problem shows up in all shoes for a reason, it's a technique problem.
    use a torque wrench

I make Eagles fly
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    My guess is your technique and imbalance.

When climbing or sprinting is when you get out of the saddle and apply a lot of foot pressure.

Your pain is on the outside of your foot.

The reason we rock the bike back and forth is so that we can apply pressure with the ball of our foot, not the outside.

I'm guessing you rock the bike to one side, then back to upright, then back to that one side again. So with one foot you're pushing with the ball and then making the other foot push with the outside/pinky area.

To fix this you have to concentrate on rocking the bike evenly left to right and focus on putting pressure on the balls of your feet instead of the outside of them, both of them.

I first noticed myself doing this by using a front camera and watching how the bike was not rocking evenly left and right.

New shoes won't fix anything. The problem shows up in all shoes for a reason, it's a technique problem.
    Interesting, and I bet attraching a camera to my bike would show how much movement to each side. Will do some tests, right now I'm layer yo with strep throat.

I make Eagles fly
    Jan 2015
    Shimano R087 shoes gone RP5 is now used. They require a little break in , but feel great.

Did some sprints, feels so much different with a much stiffer shoe. Rt side felt off, something is off , I can deem more with the carbon sole. Fine tuning, and time to get a nice long ride with some fun climbs, see how they do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm wondering if your cleat position might be wrong.

Do you have the same problem if you spin most of your ride rather than mashing?
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    You might try checking your cleat position as a start. I was having various issues with my bike and got fitted at my LBS. One of the things they adjusted was my cleats. They were too far forward on the shoe (Shimano SPD).

I had transferred the position from my other shoes, which were also set wrong. So if you are setting the cleats the same on all your shoes the issue could be replicated.

In my case I was transferring the position of my cleats from my first pair of bike shoes from 20+ years ago. I guess I had no idea what I was doing then, because the LBS tech took one look and said, oh, there's part of your problem, these are all kinds of wrong.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B_arrington View Post
    You might try checking your cleat position as a start. I was having various issues with my bike and got fitted at my LBS. One of the things they adjusted was my cleats. They were too far forward on the shoe (Shimano SPD).

I had transferred the position from my other shoes, which were also set wrong. So if you are setting the cleats the same on all your shoes the issue could be replicated.

In my case I was transferring the position of my cleats from my first pair of bike shoes from 20+ years ago. I guess I had no idea what I was doing then, because the LBS tech took one look and said, oh, there's part of your problem, these are all kinds of wrong.
    Not written in stone, but as a general rule, cleat fore/aft position should be slightly behind the ball of the foot.

However, for the problem the OP is having, I am thinking there may be a side to side position error rather than a fore/aft position error.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

I make Eagles fly
    Jan 2015
    New shoes are better, but not perfect

when spinning it it takes a lot longer for the pain to set in. Paying close attention, when mashing, or even just a firm crank, i put my weight on the outside of my rt foot. Left side the force goes in through the ball og my foot, rt side, it’s transmittef through the outside of my foot.

Thinking of grabbing some wedges to change the angle slightly

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lack of arch support was my issue causing a similar result. I got a set of the Specialized inserts and it was resolved.

I make Eagles fly
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by robnj View Post
    Lack of arch support was my issue causing a similar result. I got a set of the Specialized inserts and it was resolved.
    Will try that, being a runner I know that I have high arches.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Will try that, being a runner I know that I have high arches.
    The Specialized arch supports should be helpful with your high arches. They come in three different levels of support and the right choice should\could help for a lot cheaper than custom orthotics.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    The Specialized arch supports should be helpful with your high arches. They come in three different levels of support and the right choice should\could help for a lot cheaper than custom orthotics.
    Others that are good are Pure Stride and Super Feet. Super Feet come in a few different types based on arch height:

https://www.superfeet.com/en-us/

-- Warren Buffett

Russian Troll Farmer
    Instead of p!$$ing in the dark, just go to an orthopedic arch retailer, get you foot PROPERLY measured, and buy some custom insoles. The $60/pair my insoles cost was the best money spent all year.
    Last edited by No Time Toulouse; 10-17-2017 at 12:44 PM.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

I make Eagles fly
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Instead of p!$$ing in the dark, just go to an orthopedic arch retailer, get you foot PROPERLY measured, and by some custom insoles. The $60/pair my insoles cost was the best money spent all year.
    Thinking on those lines, I wonder if a podiatrist would be better to check with. Been paying close attention lately and even walking a avoid loading my big toe , ball of my foot. I split the bone 8n my big toe down the middle a few years back. May need to learn how to use my foot again properly

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thinking on those lines, I wonder if a podiatrist would be better to check with. Been paying close attention lately and even walking a avoid loading my big toe , ball of my foot. I split the bone 8n my big toe down the middle a few years back. May need to learn how to use my foot again properly
    Better yet, go to an orthopedic foot doc. They know more than podiatrists.

-- Warren Buffett

I love to climb!
    A wedge under the cleat or in the shoe may help. BikeFit make some for various cleat styles and also in-shoe wedges.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

Russian Troll Farmer
    Thinking on those lines, I wonder if a podiatrist would be better to check with. ....
    Well, if the problem is serious and you can afford the extra $200-or-so, go for it. Still, a decent pair of insoles and maybe a couple of tune-up fittings solves it for probably 95% of people.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Podiatrist or even a PT then fit is what I'd do.

Just spent a week walking around NYC with the fam for a short vacation. Very flat bad shoes and I now have some sort of tendonitis (I'm guessing) in one foot. Sometimes it feels like the extensor tendon down the front of my shin and the pain continues along the top of the foot and into my big toe. Looking at the anatomy of the foot a self diagnosis is nearly impossible and it may very well be the result of a tight glute for all I know. Point being, I'm visiting my PT and getting a fit tomorrow. Can't get into the podiatrist but, I trust the PT as much as anyone.

The outside of the foot has some rather healthy looking tendons so perhaps you and I are in similar situations, however, mine doesn't bother me when riding thankfully...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast