Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2018

Forearm and bicep pain

Only 40 years old and have been racing/riding actively for 25 years so this issue is really baffling. Other than having to raise my bars a bit as I've aged, my position hasn't really changed but yet I'm not experiencing intermittent pain in my forearm and bicep. Both arms too. Any ideas what could cause this? I've basically ruled out everything else in my life as I'm not doing any manual labor in the yard currently, don't lift weights and my work is limited to steering a mouse.

It's not in my elbow and is definitely coming from the ligaments just below and above the joint along the muscle. I've tried icing, heat, etc. Only thing that helps is Aleve.

As for riding (road only,) I'm primarily sit with my hands on the hoods or directly behind, or simple on the tops.

I'm stumped so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Happily absent RBR Member
    Have you changed your bars or brake levers recently?
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Might not be caused by cycling. I had a herniated disk in my neck that caused pain similar to what you are describing. If it gets worse, see a doctor.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2018
    Good thinking but nope, haven't adjusted them in the slightest. Like, in YEARS.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2018
    That's an interesting thought. Suppose it could radiate somehow. I haven't had any neck or back injuries though. Actually, (knock on wood,) no injuries at all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by adilosnave View Post
    Only 40 years old and have been racing/riding actively for 25 years so this issue is really baffling. Other than having to raise my bars a bit as I've aged, my position hasn't really changed but yet I'm not experiencing intermittent pain in my forearm and bicep. Both arms too. Any ideas what could cause this? I've basically ruled out everything else in my life as I'm not doing any manual labor in the yard currently, don't lift weights and my work is limited to steering a mouse.

It's not in my elbow and is definitely coming from the ligaments just below and above the joint along the muscle. I've tried icing, heat, etc. Only thing that helps is Aleve.

As for riding (road only,) I'm primarily sit with my hands on the hoods or directly behind, or simple on the tops.

Words in bold are likely culprit. As our body age, pain sets in even when not doing anything. I'm over my prime and I've had back, shoulder, knees, elbows...etc pains even from not doing anything. What solved for me was strength training via weight / resistance. It doesn't have to be heavy, just enough to stimulate muscle / tendon adaptation.
    Try it with light weight / resistance. If it doesn't make any difference in 2 weeks, go see a doctor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm initially hesitant to start doing curls or push-ups since you'd think it would increase the pain but perhaps you're right. I'll give it a shot. Can't hurt, right? Well, it could actually hurt but we'll see! Thanks everyone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Which part of forearm does it hurt? There are different exercises specific to different areas.

Forearm and bicep pain-right-arm-muscle-tendon-anatomy.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2018
    Upper part of forearm just below elbow. Right across the tendon maybe? Brachio-Radialus, I think.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Upper part of forearm just below elbow. Right across the tendon maybe? Brachio-Radialus, I think.
    Try this without the weight for a week first. Rotate your fist up, hold for 2 seconds, then let it down, 10 reps each arm, once a day.

Name:  wrist.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  20.5 KB

Then if you feel less pain after a week, grab a can of soup or something around a pound or less and do the same exercise.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2018
    Interesting, will try this! Thank you so much! Must be a PT.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Must be a PT.
    No, but I stay at a Holiday...

Actually, I'm posting this based on my own experiences. Don't forget the biceps curl with light weight first, then gradually increase the weight over months.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    I have the same problem as I can't rotate the right forearm to the extreme right of left and have to drop the elbow when eating with a spoon/fork.

I've had trouble with the Bursae sac in the shoulder.
    Last edited by tabl10s; 03-14-2018 at 06:19 AM.
    Cheap bikes are great... because they're cheap!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Did the pain start soon after raising your bars?

If so You might try a longer stem. Or maybe lower the bars back 1st and see if that helps the pain. If it does than you can raise the bars back up and change the stem.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2018
    I haven't changed the stem length or bar height in years. Saddle height has stayed the same but I switched to a Terry men's saddle a couple months ago and suspect it has something to do with that. Doesn't make sense but it's the only thing that's changed. The pain has continued to get worse. It's too the point that it aches terribly in the middle of the night. Seeing a PT today about it. Since it may have something to do with the saddle, I angled it back ever so slightly today in hopes of better distributing my weight between saddle and bars. It's dead-nuts horizontal now.

Thanks again for the help!

banned
    Jul 2016
    Sounds like what's commonly called 'tennis elbow', pain running down the top of the forearm.

Don't discount 'pushing a mouse' as repetitive motions can cause these types of injuries.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I haven't changed the stem length or bar height in years. Saddle height has stayed the same but I switched to a Terry men's saddle a couple months ago and suspect it has something to do with that. Doesn't make sense but it's the only thing that's changed. The pain has continued to get worse. It's too the point that it aches terribly in the middle of the night. Seeing a PT today about it. Since it may have something to do with the saddle, I angled it back ever so slightly today in hopes of better distributing my weight between saddle and bars. It's dead-nuts horizontal now.

Thanks again for the help!
    All saddles don't sit the same. Nose length can be longer or shorter ,saddle to saddle, changing your position on the bike. If the saddle is mounted with a plumb bob dropping off the nose and measured to the BB a longer nosed saddle will position the sit bones further back, vici-verci for a shorter nosed saddle.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

I definitely wouldn't rule out that having something to do with it.
    Sitting at a desk using a mouse all day is for certain not an injury proof activity.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    The pain has continued to get worse. It's too the point that it aches terribly in the middle of the night.
    Have you tried that forearm exercise?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2018
    please get a proper trainer

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2018
    Proper trainer? Like a coach or are you meaning indoor trainer? If so, I'm currently using a Kickr and my years of hiring a coach have long since passed.

Met with PT yesterday and they believe it's muscular rather than neuro (thank goodness!) He performed some sort of scraping treatment that should help break apart any scar tissue while I do a bunch of various stretches that specifically target the inflicted areas. Seemed to help a little but we'll see how things progress. I'm hoping that's all it is.

I did briefly try the forearm exercise but the pain was very, very sharp. Figured my body was trying to tell me something.

Neophyte
    Listen to PT, and don't just do the prescribed exercises/stretches at the clinic, do them at home. Icing is probably a good idea, too.

As others have mentioned, besides age, NOT doing much with your upper body may have contributed to this, and improper posture and setup for workspace if you have a desk job can really mess with elbows. Also, core and back strength can go a long way in helping even if it seems like a totally unrelated part of the body.

Edit: One last thing, have your sleep habits changed in terms of where your arms go? I realized that since marriage this was the case for me and was a potential cause of some arm/elbow issues.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I did briefly try the forearm exercise but the pain was very, very sharp. Figured my body was trying to tell me something.
    It's not unusual to feel such pain at first. You could try 1 rep, then 2 reps the next day, then 3 the day after ... etc. Do it incrementally.

News flash for you, given your age, this is just the beginning. Unless you implement basic strength training program as part of your life, it will only get worse.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Maybe overuse due to other lifestyle changes? More typing for example?
    Do you have another bike you can ride with handlebar height almost the same as saddle height that takes more pressure off arms?

Maybe you have lost some core strength and even with the same drop as before you have more pressure on your hands.

Agree, you are no newbie and these kind of niggles are baffling.

Good luck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Edit: One last thing, have your sleep habits changed in terms of where your arms go? I realized that since marriage this was the case for me and was a potential cause of some arm/elbow issues.
    LOL, yeah, me too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast