Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006

forerunner 305 or 205

I just wanted to know if any one had any experiance with this computer/gps.
    I will be glad to get any feedback, good or bad.

Thanks.
    AS Phoenix

兽王

Weed
    Quote Originally Posted by arieshaked
    I just wanted to know if any one had any experiance with this computer/gps.
    I will be glad to get any feedback, good or bad.

Thanks.
    I have a Forerunner 205. . I've had it for about a week now so I'm still learning. Works pretty much as advertised so far. It gets much better reception in the woods than the previous Garmin GPS model I used. It doesn't seem to like being moved when you first turn it on and it is searching for sattelites.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've got a 305 and haven't had any real problems with it. My HRM monitor seems not to want to receive lately, but I think its the battery. I've never had any reception problems even when MTB riding in the woods. For road, I also have a traditional cyclocomputer and it and the 305 are usually in sync - a 1/10 or so difference in current MPH either way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've used the 305 with HR+Cad for about two months now. Works nicely so far. It is extremely easy to set up and can provide more info than you actually need. Before ordering, I was concerned about the size (thought it might be slightly larger than I would like). The unit itself really isn't much larger than a standard cycle computer. I would recommend it, but search for other threads - this has been discussed in greater detail before.
    The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return. It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale.
    Arthur C. Clarke

Pals around w/ humorists
    Love the 205. I have it sync'd with Google Earth - fun to see the routes after a ride via satellite photo.

Battery life isn't as long as they claim, but it'll last 8 - 9 hours before recharging.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
    Groucho Marx

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Bump.
    Can anyone else comment on the -Forerunner- 305?
    I'm specifically interested in the performance of the heart rate monitor. I had a Forerunner 301, and the HR was garbage, never worked, even with a replacement strap from Garmin. And it took forever to find the satelite, and often simply could not..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Heart rate monitor is first rate. Better than my 5 year old Polar by a long shot. Standard off the shelf battery you can buy anywhere too.

It is nice you can graph HR to geography with their software too. It is fun.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    How accurate is the calorie counter for the Forerunner 305? I am 52 years old and weigh 165 lb, the bike weighs about 15 lb; with an average speed of about 17.5 mph, I am burning roughly 1,100 calories per hour, does it sound right? Thanks

RoadBikeReview's Member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nliang
    How accurate is the calorie counter for the Forerunner 305? I am 52 years old and weigh 165 lb, the bike weighs about 15 lb; with an average speed of about 17.5 mph, I am burning roughly 1,100 calories per hour, does it sound right? Thanks
    Er. More info would be nice.
    Wind?
    Hills?
    Cuz on flats I averaged 23mph on my last ride, at 900cal/hr, 150 pounds and 21.5 pound bike, 5mph E wind on a 50 mile loop.
    However, throw in a big climb and I can be going 10mph burning 1300 cal/hour easily.
    -estone2

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    My average ride is about 35 to 45 miles and usually last between 2 to 2 1/2 hours. The first half of the ride is usually uphill from an elevation of 550 ft to around 850 feet and then turn around home; wind speed may vary between 5 to 15 km. The average speed usually come in betwwen 16.5 to 17.6 mph and the calorie burn will be between 2100 low to a high of 2400 for a windy day. All these numbers are generated by my Forerunner 305 GPS, I just want to know if anyone is getting similar number with other instrument.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nliang
    My average ride is about 35 to 45 miles and usually last between 2 to 2 1/2 hours. The first half of the ride is usually uphill from an elevation of 550 ft to around 850 feet and then turn around home; wind speed may vary between 5 to 15 km. The average speed usually come in betwwen 16.5 to 17.6 mph and the calorie burn will be between 2100 low to a high of 2400 for a windy day. All these numbers are generated by my Forerunner 305 GPS, I just want to know if anyone is getting similar number with other instrument.
    Well, I believe this, and other HR units that track calories, use a pretty standard formula based on HR and age. So if someone did the same workout as you, averaged the same heart rate, and had their age entered the same (if the particular unit takes age into consideration, not sure if the Garmins do), then their calorie count would be about the same.
    I remember reading that most of these units pad the calorie count to make people think they are burning more than they are, make them happier. I usually assume my calories burned is about 25% less than what the polar or garmin tells me.

Impulse Athletic Coaching
    All HR monitors lack in the calorie counting area. Polar is only slightly better than garmin, but I wouldn't trust either.

That being said, I love my Edge 305. I have had a couple software problems with the original releases, but as of late, no problems.

The HR monitor is first rate and never misses. The battery just died, but it lasted a full season so I'm happy with that. GPS is sweet too-fast, accurate, consistant. Battery lasts 11hrs. It will last 6hrs when the battery drops to the lowest bar (falsely showing low batt, but it isn't).

Only complaint would be that I am addicted to it and went through withdrawal when I bumped the magnet off of my crank arms so the cadence sensor didn't work and I had to ride without it for a day...easy fix from radio shack though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonnitro
    All HR monitors lack in the calorie counting area. Polar is only slightly better than garmin, but I wouldn't trust either.

That being said, I love my Edge 305. I have had a couple software problems with the original releases, but as of late, no problems.

The HR monitor is first rate and never misses. The battery just died, but it lasted a full season so I'm happy with that. GPS is sweet too-fast, accurate, consistant. Battery lasts 11hrs. It will last 6hrs when the battery drops to the lowest bar (falsely showing low batt, but it isn't).

Only complaint would be that I am addicted to it and went through withdrawal when I bumped the magnet off of my crank arms so the cadence sensor didn't work and I had to ride without it for a day...easy fix from radio shack though.
    How does the virtual training partner work. I like the idea of having certain data available without having to scroll thru screens. What is important to me is current speed, distance traveled and a pace arrow letting me know if I'm currently faster or slower than the avaerage for the ride. Does the 305 do this? Also could you post a picture of the cadence sensor on the bike?

Thanks!
    For my next trick I will now set myself on fire!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2002

I have the 305- bought the 205 for my girlfriend

I have the 305 and it is great. The unit and heartrate monitor work better than my Polar 720i. I like the software better and the unit itself is much easier to use.

I use it for both running and cycling. I thought it was so good I bought one for my girlfriend. I got her the 205 because I got here a stand alone HR some time ago and didn't know if she would need the HR..plus I saved a few bucks by going with the 205.

In summary, I think it is a great product - highly recommended.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    I have the 205, and I really like it. The satellite reception is far superior to previous gen Garmin products. My GPSMAP60CS wasn't able to get great accuracy in tree cover, while the Edge can get a signal in my basement! I sort of wish I had gone with the 305 for the cadence and ability to track and plot elevation, but since I ended up paying $89 for the 205 I can't really complain. As others have pointed out it really isn't much larger than an advanced cycling computer, and it is well made.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmoretime
    How does the virtual training partner work. I like the idea of having certain data available without having to scroll thru screens. What is important to me is current speed, distance traveled and a pace arrow letting me know if I'm currently faster or slower than the avaerage for the ride. Does the 305 do this? Also could you post a picture of the cadence sensor on the bike?

Thanks!
    It does have distance and current speed but no pace arrow. I have the edge 305 and I miss that feature as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    where is the best deal on the forerunner 305??

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2003
    Yes, please! Where to buy one at a good price?

I ordered one last Monday from Etronics for $203, on Friday they finally tell me it is out of stock. Their website advertised it as IN STOCK in huge letters. I'm thinking bait and switch at this point. I will cancel the order as soon as I find somewhere else to get one a little less than retail.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cdale02
    I have the 305 and it is great. The unit and heartrate monitor work better than my Polar 720i. I like the software better and the unit itself is much easier to use.

I use it for both running and cycling. I thought it was so good I bought one for my girlfriend. I got her the 205 because I got here a stand alone HR some time ago and didn't know if she would need the HR..plus I saved a few bucks by going with the 205.

In summary, I think it is a great product - highly recommended.

Is everyone using the Forerunner 305 or the Edge 305?

I want cadence and heart rate features, and would be mostly using the device on the bike, but would like the ability to use it for running also.
    I was under the impression the the Forerunner could be used for running, and the Edge could be used for cycling, but wasn't sure if either would work well for both.

Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick
    Yes, please! Where to buy one at a good price?

I ordered one last Monday from Etronics for $203, on Friday they finally tell me it is out of stock. Their website advertised it as IN STOCK in huge letters. I'm thinking bait and switch at this point. I will cancel the order as soon as I find somewhere else to get one a little less than retail.
    $275 for edge 305 which is a damn good deal
    http://www.chumbo.com/Info.aspx?id=307702

chumbo has the lowest prices on all of the gps computers, so just search there. The forerunner and edge can both do cycling and running. If you do more running, get the forerunner, if you do more cycling, get the edge. The edge has a cadence feature and bike mounts (optional arm strap). The forerunner has a wrist strap but no cadence.

Cycling Boob
    just a question, can this GPS be used as a regular GPS? like when you go hiking and you want to plot waypoints?

Moderatus Puisne
    Almost everyone with a bike is using the Edge 305. Great unit. HR monitor is much better than others I've used. Big screen is great, can fit loads of info on it.

The reasons people like the Edge as opposed to the Forerunner:
    * It has a barometric altimeter as well as the GPS altimeter. The two cross-check against one another and it's really accurate becasuse of it.
    * The GPS-only speed gets a little screwy at cycling speeds in tunnels, on heavy tree cover, etc. With the cadence sensor, in addition to normal cadence benefits, you get an error correction on speed, and you can also use it for virtual speed on the trainer.

I have heard that you could buy the Edge cadence sensor seperately and use it with the Forerunner 305, but I'm not sure.

Omniviper -- SORT of. You can plot waypoints on it, but it has no "mapping" feature. I've done some cheap geocaching on it, and the "distance to target" and "heading to target" work okay. But, I'd pick something different if that was what I really wanted to do. It's sort of clumsy, especially entering in the data.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    [QUOTE=Argentius]

I have heard that you could buy the Edge cadence sensor seperately and use it with the Forerunner 305, but I'm not sure.

[QUOTE]

I have the Forerunner 305 and it does work perfectly with the cadence sensor. Once you have the cadence sensor, it uses the wheel magnet and not GPS for distance/speed. You can use the GPS to calibrate the speed sensor or enter wheel size maually.

Quote Originally Posted by omniviper
    just a question, can this GPS be used as a regular GPS? like when you go hiking and you want to plot waypoints?
    Yes and no, but mostly no.

The screen does not have a mapping feature on it. This means that you cannot visually plan your course in real time and see what street to turn down, etc.

You can map your course in real time (waypoints) and look at it later on your computer. You can also plan a trip on your computer, load it into the GPS unit, and follow the course (waypoints) on your GPS. However, it will only give you a line showing where and when you should turn, and how much further it is until the turn, etc. You will still not be able to see street names or anything.

Did this answer your question?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2003
    I bought my Forerunner 205 for running, just because I wanted to learn how to judge my pace.

But, conincidentally, my bike computer broke right before it arrived, so I straped the watch over the spot where the computer went. Worked great, tracks my workouts by date, tells me altitude and %grade (woo hoo!), draws a little map, which is useless, but cool.

It has "modes" so I can switch it from running to biking and get diff info on the screan.

If I had realized that the 305 had cadence capabilities, I would have gotten it. I mash. But I had no idea until I started reading the owners manual (which is not very good...it's my biggest complaint). Also, while running, the current speed varies constantly, which annoys me, but the average appears to be about right. I think it may be tree-related.

I paid $197 on Ebay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast