RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018

FSA vs Ultegra/Dura Ace

My bike (2015 Orbea Avant m20s) came with FSA crank, brakes and crank (also stem and bars and maybe seatpost). I want it to be all Shimano someday just because I want it to match. My question is will I feel a difference between 1. The crank and 2. The brakes? The other stuff will probably be changed out by then. Thank you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    In your wallet.

But seriously, I like Shimano drive train and brakes as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    You will definitely feel a difference with the brakes. Probably not with the crank.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    FSA makes brakes?

Cranks no, brakes maybe. You might just try some different brake pads first. Even Tektro brakes can be improved quite a bit with better brake pads. Or so I've heard.

Frankly, you'd be money ahead just to ride the bike and save your money so you can put it toward a bike without FSA crap hanging on it next time. There will be a next time.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonyatessr View Post
    My bike (2015 Orbea Avant m20s) came with FSA crank, brakes and crank (also stem and bars and maybe seatpost). I want it to be all Shimano someday just because I want it to match. My question is will I feel a difference between 1. The crank and 2. The brakes? The other stuff will probably be changed out by then. Thank you.
    An ultegra or dura ace crank will weigh considerably less. Will you feel a difference? No.

I imagine they used all of FSA's lowest end components to save cost. I'm sure you'll notice a difference with the brakes. Shimano brakes are the best IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    FSA makes brakes?
    Of course. They make complete group sets and very high end components used by many pro teams.
    https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/type/brakes
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

.je
    Lizard Person
    IME I went from FSA Gossamer, which worked very well, much of the time, clunkily the rest, to the same size Ultegra that shifts perfectly every time. I was able to get a barely used one for real cheap, or else wouldn't do it.

FSA brakes are also OK, but their pads were not. Once replaced with Shimano were much better, but I see how they can be improved... but am not fussed at all about that.

.je
    Lizard Person
    If I could ask another question, or two:

Is there a benefit to changing to a Shimano BB from FSA?
    The fit of the above crank to the FSA BB was a little easier and it spins easier I think. If it's replaced the FSA set would stay together if anyone else wants it.

Then, is there any advantage to Ultegra BB to a Tiagra? Tiagra works with the tool I already have for $12 less. Thx.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonyatessr View Post
    1. The crank and 2. The brakes? The other stuff will probably be changed out by then.
    I made a similar switch years ago and definitely felt a difference in both. I want to DA but from something other than FSA.

-The crank shifted a little better and felt stiffer when sprinting hard. (note; feeling stiffer sprinting isn't necessarily 'better'. It actually felt weird at first and took me a while to get used to)
    -Much to my surprise the brakes were better using the same pads. Until then I had assumed brakes just clamp down so they would all be the same.

RoadBikeReview Member
    i just much prefer the ease of install/removal of Shimano hollowtech2 cranksets and threaded BB. It's so nice, and solid, and simple, and widely available support, and works with Stages, etc. One of my Specialized MTB came with some low end crank, and cannot get replacement chainrings for it, not using a common BB std, ugly and a pita to own. My main road bike gets disassembled for travel a few times a year including removing the crankset - and it is so easy with just an allen key
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by .je View Post
    If I could ask another question, or two:

Is there a benefit to changing to a Shimano BB from FSA?
    The fit of the above crank to the FSA BB was a little easier and it spins easier I think. If it's replaced the FSA set would stay together if anyone else wants it.

Then, is there any advantage to Ultegra BB to a Tiagra? Tiagra works with the tool I already have for $12 less. Thx.

No, not really. Also, it depends on what fsa crank you have. The fsa sl-k light crank is lighter and stiffer than dura ace and ultegra. However, it's more fiddly to install and perhaps doesn't shift quite as well.

Fsa cranks are fine. Fsa brakes and components are fine. I would upgrade something else first, like the wheels and tires.
    I like to ride fast.

.je
    Lizard Person
    With all due respect, I was asking a different question. I replaced an FSA Gossamer crank with an Ultegra. I wonder if it is best to change to a Tiagra (or Ultegra) bottom bracket.
    A bonus then is that the crankset is complete, and easier to reuse or resell.
    How do you feel about these options?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I prefer a full Shimano components over FSA and SRAM. IMO Shimano Ultegra hollowtech2 shifting is smoother than FSA and SRAM, I definitely feel a difference in shifting. Shimano brakes calipers with Swiss Stop Black carbon pads are the best.
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT