RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011

Full-Face Helmets

I sometimes wonder if a standard road bike helmet offers enough protection, especially in accidents resulting in a face-plant.

Are there full-face helmets suitable for road riding, or is the idea of wearing a FF helmet on a road bike so egregious as to make one a non-starter?
    Marco Pantani died for your sins.

" I guess most guys don't think of themselves as larvae, but hey, we're all lucky that pterodactyls are no longer ruling the skies." ~Bob Roll

2011 GT GTR Series 2
    Blog: Riding With Cancer

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Samadhi View Post
    is the idea of wearing a FF helmet on a road bike so egregious as to make one a non-starter?
    What, are the fashion police going to throw you in jail? I don't think so. You're already a freak simply for being on a bicycle. Wearing a full face helmet won't make it any worse. I've seen road riders with downhill full face helmets. They're lighter than MX motorcycle full face helmets.

I considered a full face helmet after my last crash where I face planted at 35 mph because some idiot at the front of the pack slammed on the brakes right when I was looking away. The crash smashed my front teeth in.

I didn't wear one because I can't figure out how to eat and drink with one on. That's required for the long races I do.

But if that's not an issue for you, try it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Maybe an half-face helment like they use in track? Giro Air Attack Shield reminds me of those. Those go down your nose and I'm not sure what kind of impact protection they have, but they might keep gravel out of the upper half of your face maybe?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    You could always get a full face motorcycle helmet. Might be on the heavy side but if your biggest concern is a crash at 35+ mph that should provide the right protection.

Token Sprinter
    The main problem with full face helmets are that they're heavy, don't ventilate well, and are hard to drink out of. I used to wear a Shoei full face helmet for BMX racing so I've dealt with those issues first hand, and that was only while wearing it for bits at a time. Looking silly on the road just happens to be another deterrent.
    Amassing Miles - My Little Cycling Blog

Banned forever.....or not
    Wear what you want, as long as you realize the 95% of the riders that pass you, will laugh. Most people do not like to be laughed at. Wearing a full face helmet is worse than wearing your bib straps over your jersey.
    (I've been doing this for 30 years now, and have never landed on my face)
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

rebounder
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    Wearing a full face helmet is worse than wearing your bib straps over your jersey.
    rotflmao. didnt think anything could be worse than that, but full face on the roadie would be. call me fashion police, but if you need a full face on your road bike you probably have an inner ear problem.
    on the other hand, you have different fingers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    Wear what you want, as long as you realize the 95% of the riders that pass you, will laugh. Most people do not like to be laughed at. Wearing a full face helmet is worse than wearing your bib straps over your jersey.
    (I've been doing this for 30 years now, and have never landed on my face)
    Wait a second. Are you saying that all I need to do to keep from falling is to wear my bib straps over my jersey?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshirama View Post
    Maybe an half-face helment like they use in track? Giro Air Attack Shield reminds me of those. Those go down your nose and I'm not sure what kind of impact protection they have, but they might keep gravel out of the upper half of your face maybe?
    No extra impact protection with the Giro Air Attack Shield. The part of the covers the face is just pair of fancy magnetically attached optics. How much impact protection does sunglasses offer?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ive seen mtb xc helmets with face shields....They sorta look like those little league face shields.

Theyre probably not the worst thing ive seen on a cyclist.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I think they'd be too hot & would restrict your communication with other riders by muffling your voice. Motorists wouldn't be able to tell when you're giving the "stink eye."
    Don't believe everything you think.