RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007

Galaxy Nexus owners, any problems with your GPS?

I have the Galaxy Nexus and have tried using both Strava and Map my Ride/Run. I have found with both programs the GPS tracking just stops working at some point during the ride. Usually within a few miles of starting, but not always. At first I thought it was the program, which is why I tried another, but now I am guessing that it is the phone. I live in NYC, so coverage should be fine. I throw the phone in my pocket/ Camelback so I have no idea that it has stopped working.

Tues I did 2 20m laps on my MTB. The first lap only recorded the first three miles (but kept recording the time. But on the second lap it recorded the whole loop just fine??? Any help?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    I haven't used it for tracking rides, only for directions/maps. The only time I have issues is when I don't let it get a lock with a clear view of the sky before taking off, then it doesn't care where it is in the car (surprisingly it even tracked in a tunnel in baltimore). Wonder if the camelback/tree/buildings weres causing some signal blockages.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Do you have something like Juice Defender on that would shut down the GPS tracking after a certain time frame?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    I've got a Galaxy Nexus and tried throwing it in my jersey pocket and using it as a GPS cycling computer with both Mapmyride and Strava. The three different times I tried it all resulted in the GPS cutting out or malfunctioning at some point during the ride.

I gave up and bought a Garmin Edge 200 ($150) and haven't looked back. In addition to working flawlessly so far its nice to be able to look down and see your ride stats as you ride. Not to mention the far far superior battery life. I still keep the phone in my pocket for emergencies.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My Galaxy nexus hasn't had any problems since i started using it for 4-5 rides a week, 3 weeks ago...

I use Strava and its been great -> no cut outs.. although sometimes its reluctant to pick up the signal at the start of a ride.. so i force close the app and open it again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    my galaxy nexus had some problems too, but not lately. i thought originally it might have been strava, so now i run both strava and google "my tracks" as a backup in case strava crashes. havent had any problems since i started both apps at the same time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

I

Have this problem also. It starts out fine, but restarts my phone mid ride. It has even done it multiple times per ride. It is really frustrating. Next ride I am going to do it again and see if putting the phone in airplane mode helps it out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Strava actually has a disclaimer on their latest version that there are issues with the Gnex. I finally just bought a Garmin.....and it's been wonderful.

GPS in my Gnex would record a few miles, then shut off completely. From what I can tell, most Sammy phones have had GPS issues.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a Nexus S GSM phone, Do you have a sprint phone without a sim card?
    The reason I ask is that the unlocked GSM phones have Android 4.03 and
    are great; I get GPS signal in under 1 minute. My girlfriend has a sprint Nexus
    and it takes 3-5 minutes.

Hanzo

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    I figured out how to get strava to work on my gnex I think. Although I have only tried this fix one time so far.

I put my phone into airplane mode before starting strava. It takes longer to get the initial satellite fix because it doesn't download the satellite info from the net, but it seems to work fine during the ride. So for the first time in weeks, I have a full ride recorded.

I think strava restarting had something to do with receiving emails, texts, or some thing internet related, because it worked fine on my first ride weeks ago, but that was on a mountain with no cell or internet reception.

Someone else try putting there phone in airplane mode and using it and tell me if it works for ya.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by csneom4a1 View Post
    I figured out how to get strava to work on my gnex I think. Although I have only tried this fix one time so far.

I put my phone into airplane mode before starting strava. It takes longer to get the initial satellite fix because it doesn't download the satellite info from the net, but it seems to work fine during the ride. So for the first time in weeks, I have a full ride recorded.

I think strava restarting had something to do with receiving emails, texts, or some thing internet related, because it worked fine on my first ride weeks ago, but that was on a mountain with no cell or internet reception.

Someone else try putting there phone in airplane mode and using it and tell me if it works for ya.

It failed with airplane mode also. I gave up on Strava and the Galaxy Nexus. Today I used Google Tracks and simply uploaded my track from my phone to my computer and from there to strava. Worked fine. Going to be doing that from now on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by csneom4a1 View Post

I tried out airplane mode and it worked great - the first time. The second time it only recorded the first two miles of a 75 mile journey. I was pretty pissed. As mentioned earlier, I have used both Mapmyride & Strava with the same results, so I think it is the phone and not the software. Next I will try the Google tracks. Imagine, the Google program working on the Google phone, while the others don't hmmmmm. Conspiracy theorist take hold.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I've been using endomondo on my Gnex and haven't had any problems. I just make sure that the GPS gets a signal before I start my ride.