RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

Garmin 500 Gradient not showing

Hello everyone. Another Garmin 500 question from a new user.

Thanks for all the previous answers re spoke wheel sensor btw!

I went out for first ride with Garmin 500.

I did leave the spoke wheel sensor on as most people recommended.

The cadence and speed both worked but the instant gradient grade% was always showing blank. I rode with another rider with same computer and his Garmin 500 was showing instant gradient (positive and negative) as we were riding side by side yet my computer was not showing instant gradient as all.

What do I need to do to get instant gradient/grade to work?

I checked the settings and the satellite was on/enabled. I presume that if speed was working then the satellite must also be functioning.....

I came home and run WebUpdater to upgrade the software to later version 2.80 but I dont know if it will do much.....

Any ideas?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Did you press start?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

pardon?

Quote Originally Posted by PoorCyclist View Post
    Did you press start?
    I dont understand the question. If the speed and cadence was working what else did I need to "start" ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Are you showing any total Ascent/Descent? If no, then perhaps you have blocked the holes for the barometric sensor so it does not know that the altitudr is changing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    Speed and Cadence will show on the display even if you do not press "Start"
    only if you record your route will Gradient show.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snowonder View Post
    Are you showing any total Ascent/Descent? If no, then perhaps you have blocked the holes for the barometric sensor so it does not know that the altitudr is changing.
    ok, this may be promising - where would these holes be located? On Chain-stay unit, I suspect but where exactly? There is nothing in owner manual that I can see..... Perhaps the little antenna-like-hook on the chain-stay sensor needs to point upwards? The installation manual photo has it pointing down which is how I installed it..... Strange.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

ahhh, I get it now

Quote Originally Posted by Eyorerox View Post
    Speed and Cadence will show on the display even if you do not press "Start"
    only if you record your route will Gradient show.
    thanks, now I understand it.
    Based on my previous computer, I assumed if speed and cadence are ticking over then the grade-% will do the same.

I will pay close attention next time because when I start my ride Garmin 500 comes out with a number of messages and it is possible I did not correctly pressed the Start.

When I start the Garminr 500 says "two power sensors detected" or something similar. I dont know what to make of it. Is it an error or informational message? Perhaps amongst those messages I did not press the Start when I responded Enter to acknowledge the warning messages......

Thanks again....

RoadBikeReview Member
    With a Garmin, you need to press start or it will not show gradient.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acid_rider View Post
    thanks, now I understand it.
    Based on my previous computer, I assumed if speed and cadence are ticking over then the grade-% will do the same.

I will pay close attention next time because when I start my ride Garmin 500 comes out with a number of messages and it is possible I did not correctly pressed the Start.

When I start the Garminr 500 says "two power sensors detected" or something similar. I dont know what to make of it. Is it an error or informational message? Perhaps amongst those messages I did not press the Start when I responded Enter to acknowledge the warning messages......

Thanks again....
    Start is the upper right button. When you press it, your Garmin starts recording data. When you are finished riding, press it again and it will stop recording.

RoadBikeReview Member
    "two power sensors detected" I wonder if it picked up your friend's sensor, too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    Make sure you sync your ANT+ Accessories correctly. Also like everyone else said, you need to press start when you begin.

When you first turn your 500 on, it will tell you "speed/cadence sensor detected, HR sensor detected, power meter detected", depending on the ones you have.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    I am bumping my own thread.
    Current Gradient has been working fine - until this weekend - now it works for about 5% of the time and the rest of the ride it is showing __% i.e. nothing. It stays like that for long time and then it bursts into life for a minutes or two and shows gradient and then back to nothing again for a long time ....
    I am riding with my friend and his Garmin 500 is working so it's not area or sattellites.
    My Garmin seems to locate sattelite too, at least when I start the ride...

There is a comment re "barometric holes" being blocked etc. I dont know where they are located.
    I upgraded my Garmin 500 about 3-4 weeks ago so I doubt this is a problem.....

Any ideas of what could be the problem?

thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    My 500 did a similar same thing a while back. Mine was not reading or telling me some crazy numbers like -10% when it should have been 10%. It pissed me off because I was doing a climb at the time.

I believe the holes are on the back and are a few pin holes. I blew on them then put some water on them. I think salt or road grime may have gotten in there. The 500 worked the rest of the ride and it has been fine since then.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

more info?

Quote Originally Posted by AZPOWERHOUSE View Post
    My 500 did a similar same thing a while back. Mine was not reading or telling me some crazy numbers like -10% when it should have been 10%. It pissed me off because I was doing a climb at the time.

I believe the holes are on the back and are a few pin holes. I blew on them then put some water on them. I think salt or road grime may have gotten in there. The 500 worked the rest of the ride and it has been fine since then.
    hello, thanks for reply.

when you say "on the back" you mean on the chain-stay unit right? not on the computer itself that is on the stem/bars ?

if so - where on chain-stay black unit - bottom or top of it ? or is it on the antenna-looking black hook on the chain0stay unit perhaps ?

FNG
    They are 4 tiny pinholes on the back of the head unit. Upper right-hand side of the mounting circle.

I've had mixed luck with the built-in altimeter and gradient functions, and use the auto-correct add-in in Sport Tracks for that data.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    It's all about the legs, lungs, heart and soul. The gear comes after that.

Jack of no trades
    The only data I find as being accurate on the Garmin Edge is the distance, the speed, average speed, and the time. Everything else is erratic at best. The only plus side of the unit is the ability to upload that data to sites for later review.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Mine has been somewhat erratic but I think downloading to strava has helped. Much of the data varies some between the two,but should give a good idea. BTW, anyone upgraded to strava premium?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Is there anyway to see the gradiant after it's been uploaded to Garmin Connect??

This space for sale
    Quote Originally Posted by acid_rider View Post
    hello, thanks for reply.

when you say "on the back" you mean on the chain-stay unit right? not on the computer itself that is on the stem/bars ?

if so - where on chain-stay black unit - bottom or top of it ? or is it on the antenna-looking black hook on the chain0stay unit perhaps ?
    It could be these holes
    Sometimes I ride my bike to nowhere, to see nothing, just so I can ride my bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    Those are the holes I was talking about.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    gradiant shown in strava as well as category climb, if any

FNG
    One of the potential issues with any of the barometric altimeter functions is the temperature dependency. If you take the computer out of your 19-20*C climate-controlled house into the 25* outside, it's going to be wonky. I haven't tested it, but there should be some improvement by letting the head unit equilibrate outside for +/- 30 minutes prior to setting off. I would expect the same issue if you ride somewhat quickly from a warmer area into a colder area (e.g. down into a shaded valley?)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    It's all about the legs, lungs, heart and soul. The gear comes after that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    thanks everyone. I blew into those holes, also I did reset all history data in settings and it started to work. There was nothing blocking those holes anyhow so I really doubt I solved this problem but if it's working I wont complain....

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by Wood Devil View Post
    The only data I find as being accurate on the Garmin Edge is the distance, the speed, average speed, and the time. Everything else is erratic at best. The only plus side of the unit is the ability to upload that data to sites for later review.
    And Gradient is consistently the worst of the lot. Well, maybe after calorie count. I use it as a guide, but never take it as fact.

To the OP: Is your elevation changing as you ride? If you're on any kind of an incline you'll see the feet go up.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut