RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006

Garmin Edge 500 Problem

I've had my Garmin Edge 500 for nearly a month and it has worked flawlessly. Yesterday I went on a ride and tried to power up the unit and it froze with the Garmin logo on the screen. I tried a combination of buttons, holding Power/Menu/Reset all at the same time, then the same sequence and keeping Menu held down and plugging in the USB connection to the computer. When I hold the Power/Menu/Start/Reset all simultaneously the screen goes blank, but as soon as I release them the Garmin Logo reappears. The screen appears frozen with the Garmin logo displayed. I tried calling Garmin for tech support this morning but was on hold for about 15 minutes and decided to leave them an email message instead. Any ideas?

member at large
    Apr 2007
    This probably won't help, but. I have a 305 and if it locks up, the reset is to:

Connect unit to power

Press lap/reset and mode buttons at same time for 5 sec.

Release buttons, then power up

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy
    This probably won't help, but. I have a 305 and if it locks up, the reset is to:

Connect unit to power

Press lap/reset and mode buttons at same time for 5 sec.

Release buttons, then power up
    Thanks, I tried that and still the same. Then I tried the sequence again of Menu/Power/Reset held down simultaneously and with Menu held down plugged in the USB to computer and this time it did something. Now, on the screen I see the charging indicator with percentage of charge. I'm going to let it charge up and then see what happens.