Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Garmin Edge 500 or Timex Global Trainer?

If you had to choose, which one? The wife is getting me a GPS for our anniversary and I'm trying to decide between the two.

Thanks,
    Erik

donuts?
    Timex uses TrainingPeaks software ONLY.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    The Global Trainer looks like a multipurpose piece for cycling and running, where the Edge is primary a cycling computer. I picked up the Edge 500 red bundle last week and am very pleased with it so far.

flinty-eyed moderator
    The 500 is awesome.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Love my 500

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Get the Edge 500 and use Strava.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    My opinion shouldn't count since I have the 500 and have not used the other, but I'm willing to bet the Garmin will be compatible with way more stuff.

As other have stated, the 500 is pretty damn cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by asciibaron View Post
    Timex uses TrainingPeaks software ONLY.
    I'm not exactly sure if your referring to all software like Strava and MapMyRide but the Timex creates its files in TCX format which can be imported into Strava. So, sorry, but you're wrong as far as the Timex only uses Training Peaks.

With that said, I have the Edge 500 and I'm very happy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks. I'm going with the 500.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by partyofone View Post
    Thanks. I'm going with the 500.
    Good choice!

banned
    Apr 2008

Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    The 500 is awesome.
    Once it's setup on the bike correctly it's fantastic. I have had no issues after getting mine 4 months ago.

donuts?
    Quote Originally Posted by LubbersLine View Post
    I'm not exactly sure if your referring to all software like Strava and MapMyRide but the Timex creates its files in TCX format which can be imported into Strava. So, sorry, but you're wrong as far as the Timex only uses Training Peaks.
    i have yet to get the import to work.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have both. Because I do duathlon, the Timex is the better tool for me. However, if it's just going to be for bike use, then I'd go with the 500. Ease of use of the software app has to go to Garmin. Training Peaks, in my opinion, is for the serious athlete as it just tracks everything and just has the look and feel of something too serious - i just think the way the data is presented is too busy. On the otherhand, the Garmin page is much more user friendly, much like Strava or Mapmyfitness apps - easier to navigate and data presentation easier on the eyes. That being said, I didn't know that I can download my GT workouts to Strava.. I'll try it out!

awake
    Great choice! Having used Polar, Cateye (not GPS-based) and then Garmin 305, and now Garmin 500 : I absolutely love the Garmin 500. I upload (directly using USB) to Strava. This cyclometer locks onto my HR instantly and without fail, locks onto GPS in less than a minute, never loses the lock (compared to on nearly every ride with the 305), and seems to run forever on a charge.

Note that Strava on my iPhone 4S is great, but useless for a ride over a few hours (battery dies at around 4 hours).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    The Garmin 500 could be better for the price. The buttons aren't very good. Mine takes forever to lock into GPS. Software updates are too slow. A lot of people have had 3 or 4 of them because of failures. I'm still using one but am thinking it should be better for $250.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Garmin 500 - love mine. Does all I need it to do. Bought the one in red/black color scheme. Love it!! I sync to Strava and Garmin Connect once a week to track and measure my rides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quick side question. How accurate is the Garmin 500 vs a Cateye for speed and distance?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I love my Garmin, but lately it has been giving me fits! Last 4 rides it has stopped tracking my distance & speed (cadence & heart rate still show up fine). I've looked for software updates and finally there was one available tonight. Hopefully this will fix my issues. I still recommend the unit for ease of use and hope mine is now fixed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
    Quick side question. How accurate is the Garmin 500 vs a Cateye for speed and distance?
    Assuming the Cateye is calibrated correctly, they're equally accurate.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    I use the 500 right now (over a year). Initially it was very frustrating but after a few firmware upgrades it seems to work fine. Most of my issues occurred under tree cover when I was mountain biking so for road bike it is probably fine.

Here are some alternatives I know about. The first link (Globalsat GB-580) is to a computer that recently came out and supposedly has developers that are listening to the community.

USGlobalsat Corporate

Wiggle | bryton Rider 35T GPS Cycle Computer with Heart Rate GPS Cycle Computers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    The Garmin will be much more accurate if you use a wheel sensor than relying strictly on GPS for speed and distance. My new Giant bike has an ANT+ sensor built into the chainstay so I use a wheel sensor and cadence sensor on the crank. Using a heartrate monitor with the Garmin will also provide much more accurate calories burned as well. I don't know anything about the Cateye in these respects.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darwinosx View Post
    The Garmin will be much more accurate if you use a wheel sensor than relying strictly on GPS for speed and distance. My new Giant bike has an ANT+ sensor built into the chainstay so I use a wheel sensor and cadence sensor on the crank. Using a heartrate monitor with the Garmin will also provide much more accurate calories burned as well. I don't know anything about the Cateye in these respects.
    That's great! I didn't realize that you could get a wheel sensor with the Garmin. I thought it was only based on GPS, which I didn't want.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    You can buy it with the speed and cadence sensor or buy them separately.

Amazon.com: Garmin Edge 500 Cycling GPS with Speed/Cadence Sensor and Digital Heart Rate Monitor: Electronics

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Speed-C..._bxgy_e_text_c

I bought my Garmin 500 on eBay for $200. Amazon has the best prices on add-on's.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I personally like GPS speed the best. You can switch easily between different bikes and different sets of wheels without having to fiddle with magnets. Just get a couple of extra bike mounts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Its a whole $36.98 for a cadence/speed sensor and its much more accurate than GPS. My new Giant Defy Advanced 2 comes with a receiver in the chainstay and wheel/crank magnets so it cost me nothing additional.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast