RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012

Garmin GSC-10 Cadence Sensor

I have not been able to find a solution to the following problem.

My Device: Garmin Forerunner 305 with the Garmin GSC-10 Cadence Sensor

The cadence sensor is only about 3 months old. It worked very well for the first 2.5 months. Then it stopped working. I figured it was the battery. I replaced the battery, attempted to re-sync it to my watch and have had no luck.

Issues: If I start pedaling the cadence sensor will not even "wake-up." If I push the button on the side, the lights will blink once red and once green. Seems normal at that point. When I start pedaling with the bike on a stand, the lights will work for cadence and speed as the sensors pass by flashing green and red. But after about 10 seconds the green speed light just stops and about 5 seconds later the red cadence light stops. They will not re-start or wake up at any point in time. Also, at no point will it sync with my watch.

Failed attempts at fixing:
    1. New Battery
    2. Cleaned sensors and magnets
    3. Adjusted the magnets to be closer to the sensor

No luck. Very frustrating. Any ideas? Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Call 'em up and send it back? Sounds like a defective unit, but at 3 months it should be under warranty.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Not sure I can since I bought it from a third party online vendor. It was NIB but not sure how long they had it or where they received it. It was off of amazon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Recently, while messing around with my Edge 500 I created a new "bike" within the settings. I didn't think anything of it and went for a ride and noticed that my cadence was not working, after much checking adjusting etc the unit would not work. I switched back to my old "bike" and the cadence started working.

It appears that the units need to be synched for every new bike. I'm not sure if the 305 has this feature but it might be woth a shot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    I understand that part, but I cant even get the GSC-10 sensor to wake up on its own. That seems odd. I pedal and pedal the the lights never come on it seems. Only as I mentioned if I push the button first and then they come on and only stay on for about 10-15 seconds. They still don't sync with the watch. Seems odd.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, the lighsts on the cadence unit only come on after holding down the reset button. They don't come on all the time. That feature is only there so you can test that the magnets are working correctly. After a certain # of passes they stop lighting up, that's normal.

Another option is to ask a friend with another Garmin unit to see if they can sync it, which will tell you if indeed the unit is faulty.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I assume you've read, re-read the following PDF?

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/1137_...renceGuide.pdf

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Interesting. I did not now that they did not stay on. From what I remember they did come one when the sensor would initially wake up.

I will test more in the next day or so and report back. Unable to do more today.

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    I originally mounted my cadence sensor so the sensor bar was between the chainstay and the wheel magnet. When I moved from a Garmin 600 to 800 I had a bunch of problems with the speed dropping to 0 on a ride as it uses the cadence meter to determine speed instead of the GPS and the sensor just seemed to stop working for reasons unknown. (in the middle of the ride, I turned off the cadence meter so it reverted to using GPS to work out the speed and my speed reading returned)

After this happened 3 or 4 times and was beginning to annoy me somewhat, I did a bit of investigation to see what I could do to stop this happening. In the end, to fix this, I had to reposition the sensor above the chainstay.

If you look at the first picture here: The ANT+ Bike Speed/Cadence Sensor: Everything you ever wanted to know | DC Rainmaker this is what I mean about the sensor being above the chainstay. It seems you can be a mm out on the positioning and the whole thing stops working randomly. In this setup it's been working trouble free for months

I hope this makes sense.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    I had the same experience when I moved from the 305 to the 800. I had to reposition the sensor arm to the same area, above the chain stay. Otherwise I would get erratic speed and cadence readings.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_132 View Post
    I originally mounted my cadence sensor so the sensor bar was between the chainstay and the wheel magnet. When I moved from a Garmin 600 to 800 I had a bunch of problems with the speed dropping to 0 on a ride as it uses the cadence meter to determine speed instead of the GPS and the sensor just seemed to stop working for reasons unknown. (in the middle of the ride, I turned off the cadence meter so it reverted to using GPS to work out the speed and my speed reading returned)

After this happened 3 or 4 times and was beginning to annoy me somewhat, I did a bit of investigation to see what I could do to stop this happening. In the end, to fix this, I had to reposition the sensor above the chainstay.

If you look at the first picture here: The ANT+ Bike Speed/Cadence Sensor: Everything you ever wanted to know | DC Rainmaker this is what I mean about the sensor being above the chainstay. It seems you can be a mm out on the positioning and the whole thing stops working randomly. In this setup it's been working trouble free for months

I hope this makes sense.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There is a battery trick that works wonders if you put it in backwards for a minute and then reverse it back. Google for the full instructions on the garmin forums.