Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    "Ride lots." ~ Eddy Merck
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    maybe I have not found the right one... they are not very stylish..and for me hard to use. (atleast the small ones are)
    Not much in cycling is stylish to non cyclist.
    2012 Giant Defy Comp 3
    1982 UE-8 Peugeot "̶1̶0̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶e̶d̶"̶ 7 speed
    1982 Peugeot UE-18 Mixte SS

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyB View Post
    Not much in cycling is stylish to non cyclist.
    they are not stylish to a cyclist either.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    If I'm going up a hill and can see the road is not clear, I put an open hand back telling the car behind not to pass. If the road is clear ahead, I wave them through with my hand.
    Sounds great until:

1) driver mistakes you're open hand as waving on and an accident occurs
    2) you wave driver on and someone comes speeding in the opposite direction, combined w/ driver in your direction moving slowly or hesitating and causing an accident.

You can bet you'll be blamed for it and probably held liable for causing the accident.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie the Unicorn View Post
    Sounds great until:

2) you wave driver on and someone comes speeding in the opposite direction, combined w/ driver in your direction moving slowly or hesitating and causing an accident.

You can bet you'll be blamed for it and probably held liable for causing the accident.
    I'm not sure how one would mistake a stationary open hand that clearly means, "Hold."

Regarding your second point, it's doubtful you could be held liable for waving on a motorist who then collides with oncoming traffic for two reasons. First, the driver would have to prove it, and as the accused you would have no obligation to incriminate yourself. Second, in every state's traffic laws I've read it is the sole responsibility of the overtaking vehicle to ensure it is safe to pass.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie the Unicorn View Post
    Sounds great until:

I've waived on plenty that are timid and don't listen. If I'm at the top of a hill and can see it's clear, but if they're still coming up it, they can't see anything. Do they trust me and go or be timid and wait to see for themselves? Most trust me but a good percentage will wait and look for themselves. Some drivers are indeed timid enough to wait too long, I act accordingly in those situations.

There are times when I decide not to wave them on and let them make the call themselves. There are times when I wave them on, they don't go, then I move right to the middle of the road and stay there because it's a dangerous area. I am in no way afraid to interact and communicate with cars. I feel it keeps me much safer than someone that just rides to the right.

If someone wants to try to hold me liable for participating in their car accident, I'll be ready with my lawyer to take it on.
    use a torque wrench

Adorable Furry Hombre
    My $15 bar-end mirror tells me a ton more...Did I mention it is only $15USD?

Garmin, go DIAF. Oh and fix your Edge frimware before making more useless tech crap no one needs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That does look like a sexy mount though.
    Garmin varia radar system - Whos going to adopt?-garmin-varia-2-900x600.jpg

AJL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Meh. I wouldn't want to have to keep eyes on some device to know where cars are. Once I learned to grab the back of my seat with the hand corresponding to my head turn - I had great visibility and no more issues with cars. The would probably be really helpful to someone who is deaf.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ^ I'm sure it could be audio as well... As long as the volume is adjustable and maybe even decreasing once the initial pickup.
    With an out front mount I figure it will be in my vision anyways or I can always ride like Froome staring at my stem.
    PO is a liberal echo chamber.

AJL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    ^ I'm sure it could be audio as well... As long as the volume is adjustable and maybe even decreasing once the initial pickup.
    With an out front mount I figure it will be in my vision anyways or I can always ride like Froome staring at my stem.
    I always look where I was going, except for an occasional look at my multi-function speedometer (usually to check what time it was or how far into my route I was).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    This looks like something that would work great for me. I am completely deaf in one ear and I have trouble identifying the direction of where sounds come from. If I am not paying close attention to my mirror, I am often surprised when a car or truck passes me. I would love to test one of these out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't need a mirror or radar or even a magical pixie flying next to me to know a car is approaching. Just the tires on the road at speeds greater than 20 mph make enough noise to know when a car is coming. I do use a mirror but only to check when it might be clear to cross. I agree it's neat but ultimately worthless. As one who has been hit from behind I can tell you there isn't much you can do to avoid it. The idiot in the car just needs to intentionally not hit you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldriverdude View Post
    This looks like something that would work great for me. I am completely deaf in one ear and I have trouble identifying the direction of where sounds come from. If I am not paying close attention to my mirror, I am often surprised when a car or truck passes me. I would love to test one of these out.
    i too am deaf in one ear. Generally if I look up when i hear a car and don't see one in front of me I know it's behind me. Keep it simple...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Where I bike, it's easy. Assume a car is always behind you and sadly I would be correct 95% of the time. This is one gadget that is a solution in search of a problem in my humble.

Also, when I'm driving an auto, I NEVER take the word/instruction of a cyclist. It is always my call to make as if something happens it is my fault. The other day I cam up behind a person I usually ride with as I approached a light. He was waving like a hummingbird for me to come through as he drifted across lanes to get left. I would not pass the same as if he were a car doing the same thing. My call was to keep the situation in front of me where I had control and also (although he didn't realize it) hold following traffic so he and his mate could get over.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    i'm interested, there are a couple of places on my normal "long" loop, that are both ~3km in length, all a downhill run, so you sit on around 40km/h give or take, these are both old highways, where the new highway is located right next to it, so with the wind noise in my ears and the traffic from the highway, you can't hear any car coming behind (or truck more scarily), so even though they arn't heavily trafficked when you do come across one, it's can be scarry...
    Of course locally $AU260 for those two bits of road...$50 and I'd already have one.
    All the gear and no idea

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Wasn't there an issue with policemen coming down with testicular cancer from sitting with the radar gun in their laps while waiting for targets? Do you really want a radar device permanently mounted directly beneath your butt?
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    Do you really want a radar device permanently mounted directly beneath your butt?
    Who would balk at being told they have a hot ass?
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Pitt,
    It's a novel idea,but it will only really work with a bike helmet with heads up display, find one of those for the masses
    FGO
    Specialized Roubaix SL2 with Ultegra upgrades
    Trek Domane 4.5
    Specialized Fatboy SL with 120mm Bluto for dirty days

RoadBikeReview Member
    Interesting idea but the tail light looks totally useless in the daylight. If they used a light like the Bontrager Flare R it might be useful.

Darling of The Lounge
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    Who would balk at being told they have a hot ass?
    Not to mention the RF radiation cooking your family jewels every ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I'll bet Garmin never thought of that. Think of the money we'll all collect in our class action.
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Not to mention the RF radiation cooking your family jewels every ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    Wasn't there an issue with policemen coming down with testicular cancer from sitting with the radar gun in their laps while waiting for targets? Do you really want a radar device permanently mounted directly beneath your butt?
    There was an issue with some policemen claiming that, and suing radar gun manufacturers. None of those suits were successful. The non-ionizing microwave radiation from these things does not break DNA (unlike the kinds of radiation that cause cancer). The only way it could have any biological effect is from heating tissue, and it's not powerful enough to do that to any significant (or even measurable) extent.

You have a lot more RF energy beaming through your brain every time you talk on your cell phone, if you're looking for something to worry about ;-)
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

Talks too much, that is..
    May 2014
    I think my brother in law told me he was going to try the radar thing. I'll check in with him and see if he got one and what he thinks. Personally, I've kind of wanted turn signals as long as they were small, weatherproof and only needed recharging rarely. I also kind of like the idea of, but have not bought, Sigma's side pull brake activated rear brake light.

RoadBikeReview Member
    So DC rainmaker has his full review up.

Garmin Varia Bike Radar System In-Depth Review | DC Rainmaker

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Very happy with my Bontrager Flar R so far,I'll wait for a less bulky Garmin Varia's model.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast