Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Garmin varia radar system - Whos going to adopt?

So garmin released a whole bunch of lighting systems.

Garmin Varia Bike Lights Bundle | Competitive Cyclist

Garmin Varia Rearview Radar Light Bundle | Competitive Cyclist

Garmin Varia Rearview Radar Tail Light | Competitive Cyclist

Garmin Varia Headlight - Headlights | Competitive Cyclist

Garmin Varia Tail Light - Headlights | Competitive Cyclist

While the radar system looks cool, and can tell you how far back cars are. I just couldnt justify it as seeing a cycling mirror can be just as good.

The turn signal button looks like a unique feature.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    A customer came in this weekend with it on his bike, looked pretty cool. We all drooled for a bit. I'd love to try it and see how it works, it's a good idea.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't see the radar rear light being much use. I see it being more of a nuisance than anything, constantly warning you of close cars. Knowing a car is behind you isn't much of a benefit. It's not going to tell you if you're going to get hit or just buzzed.

The headlight looks like a cool idea where it adjusts brightness based on speed. But it only works with the Edge 1000. F' that.
    And $200 for a 600lm light that only lasts 2.5hrs! F' that too.

The regular tail light looks cool. Adjusting brightness based on speed and stopping is a good idea. And $69 is reasonable. But 4hr burn time? WTF?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Pooped a refrigerator.
    I think it'd be more useful if it emitted a bright strobe at motorists who got too close.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've been experimenting with my car interactions. One thing I've noticed is that if I turn my head to start to look back at the car that is about to overtake me, they give me more room. Depending on where you ride, this could be extremely useful or really annoying. With that said, I could see the radar as a tool to use this "head check" and cause cars to give me a bit more room. The $299 bundle is a bit pricey, especially when you look at all the variables (see tlg's post).

Forever a Student
    Worthless to me.

I don't need tech to tell me when a car is behind me. I ride down the center of the road, well my direction lane anyway. I keep a very keen eye on what's behind me by both looking back frequently and paying attention with my ears. When a car approaches, I move over. I then move right back to the center of the road. I never ride with lots of traffic or with earphones in. This thing is absolutely worthless to me.

Oh, and I use proper hand signals for turning and I also use them to speak with cars. If I'm going up a hill and can see the road is not clear, I put an open hand back telling the car behind not to pass. If the road is clear ahead, I wave them through with my hand. I constantly communicate with all cars. Even cars passing in the other direction always get a head nod.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    Extremely pricey.. I love cue the dark you're getting run over music in the ad.. The light seemed to suck even in their video from the cab of the truck.. It does look nice and would be an add on toy if you have the money to spend on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqJ0WrTOQ-A

RoadBikeReview Member
    Somewhat clever. Certainly nifty technology. But as a long-time and practiced mirror user, I think the mirror provides all the information this radar does, plus a lot more (the radar can't see whether a vehicle is going to buzz you close, or how wide the vehicle is, etc.), and provides it in a more immediate and more easily interpreted form. But if you really don't like to use a mirror, this might provide some benefit.
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I think this system has a series of light that get brighter as the car behind you gets closer? I suspect that a helmet camera may be a deterrent for deliberate aholes that think it's fun to see how close they can come.

Jail time is likely the only cure for oblivious texters.
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    I think it'd be more useful if it emitted a bright strobe at motorists who got too close.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Here's a demonstration of it working by DC Rainmaker. He's got his bike parked off the side of the road as cars go by. But on the display unit, you'd think they're all on a collision course.

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like the idea as I'm out of my own a lot with many roads with no shoulders for cyclist. I have a mirror but I don't use it often.. Closed video over Bluetooth in the next step.. I mean I could do it with my camera already but I'm sure battery life sucks
    PO is a liberal echo chamber.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    I like the idea as I'm out of my own a lot with many roads with no shoulders for cyclist. I have a mirror but I don't use it often..
    I'm curious... if there's no shoulder and (you think from this device) a car is going to hit you from behind... what will you do?
    Of course you won't know how close the car is to you. So what would you do differently as each car passes you?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Occasionally the can sneak up on me... With the amounts of hybrids out there getting more and more.

I'd ride into the ditch or into the dirt rather then getting tagged by a vehicle. 100-150 yards advance notice.. I can prepare myself for action if needed and take a good look back when the are closer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I think one of the things it will do is tell you when it is safe to come across the lane to make a left turn or move into the left turn lane. I kind of like it. The brightness is something i'd need to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    I'm curious... if there's no shoulder and (you think from this device) a car is going to hit you from behind... what will you do?
    Of course you won't know how close the car is to you. So what would you do differently as each car passes you?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I will likely try it out.. Maybe just the back half since I have the garmin 1000 .

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    I think this system has a series of light that get brighter as the car behind you gets closer? I suspect that a helmet camera may be a deterrent for deliberate aholes that think it's fun to see how close they can come.

Jail time is likely the only cure for oblivious texters.
    Red light is the easiest on the eyes, which is why I don't have much hope with the Varia system. A rapid white or green strobe would be better. Since distracted drivers might not see it either way, perhaps wiring a Varia radar to a rear facing HornIt would be best.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a mirror but I don't use it often..
    why not?

Genuinely curious.
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

banned
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    Or an intense and rapid series of high energy UV laser pulses.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    I don't see the radar rear light being much use. I see it being more of a nuisance than anything, constantly warning you of close cars. Knowing a car is behind you isn't much of a benefit. It's not going to tell you if you're going to get hit or just buzzed.

The headlight looks like a cool idea where it adjusts brightness based on speed. But it only works with the Edge 1000. F' that.
    And $200 for a 600lm light that only lasts 2.5hrs! F' that too.

The regular tail light looks cool. Adjusting brightness based on speed and stopping is a good idea. And $69 is reasonable. But 4hr burn time? WTF?
    If they could figure a way to get the light to rec the ANT from your speed sensor, that would be better.

70 for a smart tail light is a good number

A horrible number is that $200 for 600 lm for 2.5 hrs you wrote. That is just not worth it. 600 lm for 6 hrs at that price and maybe that would be ok.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Quote Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
    Or an intense and rapid series of high energy UV laser pulses.
    Free lasik?

RoadBikeReview Member
    There is one very cool feature here - the mount on top of the light. That's it. This is yet another answer to a question no one asked.

Look at it like this... The main benefit of that headlight is battery management, e.g. dim the light when/where you don't need it; keep it bright/pointed when/where you need it. How about - instead of a 600 lumen 2.5 hour light, you spend the same $$$ on a MUCH brighter light with a MUCH better battery. Then, you have the beam bright all the time, remaining visible (in addition to being able to see) to all the cars that are on the road and those about to be on the road. You know, those pesky cars entering the road that might not see your 600 lumen beam in "I'm going slow now, let's dim this already barely adequate beam" mode.

But really... I do like that mount.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    How do you feel about disc brakes?

Actually, my interest is in the tail light/ radar from behind feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    There is one very cool feature here - the mount on top of the light. That's it. This is yet another answer to a question no one asked.

Look at it like this... The main benefit of that headlight is battery management, e.g. dim the light when/where you don't need it; keep it bright/pointed when/where you need it. How about - instead of a 600 lumen 2.5 hour light, you spend the same $$$ on a MUCH brighter light with a MUCH better battery. Then, you have the beam bright all the time, remaining visible (in addition to being able to see) to all the cars that are on the road and those about to be on the road. You know, those pesky cars entering the road that might not see your 600 lumen beam in "I'm going slow now, let's dim this already barely adequate beam" mode.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    why not?

Genuinely curious.
    maybe I have not found the right one... they are not very stylish..and for me hard to use. (atleast the small ones are)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Cool idea from a tech standpoint, but not sure it's offers anything beyond what I can already do with my ears.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post

I'm with you, I don't see its utility at all. You are going to rely on that thing to know where vehicles are? Not me. I don't use a mirror, but at least a mirror is showing you reality, not a scenario based on a sequence of programming. I drive almost exclusively using my mirrors for rearward and side viewing. Good stuff. They work great. And again, if someone is looking at their lap texting and they are going to drill you, this isn't going to help one bit. Unless this thing can predict the future? Odds of this making you safer out there have got to be incredibly small.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast