RoadBikeReview Member

Garmin Vector 3 Power Meter pedals coming soon

Here's the newest entry to the power meter market

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/08/...wer-meter.html
    Last edited by Srode; 08-31-2017 at 07:52 AM.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    saw it. product looks good. it looks like garmin has raised the bar. for me the question is how important the new features are and whether its worth spending money on them and i've decided for now my 810 serves me very well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This is for the Vector pedal base power meter, not the 1030 - they look pretty good to me - possibly when they go on sale months from now somewhere I'll get a set. My 7900 pedals are getting a little long in the tooth anyway.

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Forever a Student
    Been thinking about these quite a bit recently.

I just wish they'd stop using the Keo cleat system. The system is known for creaking and squeaking and that's never good.

Outside of the Keo cleats, I'm liking them.

$799 on sale in November. True dual sided power to 1%.

What's important for me is that they'll allow me to sell all of my pedals and all of my power meters on all of my bikes. They swap very easily with a pedal wrench, no torque requirements at all. For someone like me with many bikes, this is going to make a big difference.

Essentially they're going to pay for themselves by eliminating my current pedals and power meters and really simplify things. I like simple.

I like the idea of having the exact same power meter on all bikes. That'll help with keeping things accurate against themselves.

I like the idea of not ever having to mess with power meter hubs or cranks or anything else. I can just buy normal parts and normal wheels. Currently I have both hub and crank power meters. Wouldn't mind being rid of them.

The Garmin Connect program will show tons of stuff for every ride. All kinds of left right stuff, it's quite impressive. They will tell you where on the pedal the force is being applied even, neat things.

Having real left/right measurement will be a step up for me. Eliminating all other power meters and pedals will be a step towards simplification that I find really attractive.

Outside of the damn Keo cleats I can't find a reason not to buy them.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Been using Vector 2s for 1.5 years without cleats making creaking noises. The biggest issue for Vector 2 owners is pedal body / cartridge play. Most people will get it over time, and the line from Garmin is to disassemble the pedals and pack the body/cartridge with grease. That works for for maybe a week before the clicking comes back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm pretty interested in them, but will wait and see how they hold up first. I like the ease of swapping but I also have SPD pedals I use on my gravel bike, so it will just be for my road bike - much easier to deal with though for sure with multiple bikes.

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post

I just wish they'd stop using the Keo cleat system. The system is known for creaking and squeaking and that's never good.

What's important for me is that they'll allow me to sell all of my pedals and all of my power meters on all of my bikes. They swap very easily with a pedal wrench, no torque requirements at all. For someone like me with many bikes, this is going to make a big difference.

Essentially they're going to pay for themselves by eliminating my current pedals and power meters and really simplify things. I like simple.

I like the idea of having the exact same power meter on all bikes. That'll help with keeping things accurate against themselves.

I like the idea of not ever having to mess with power meter hubs or cranks or anything else. I can just buy normal parts and normal wheels. Currently I have both hub and crank power meters. Wouldn't mind being rid of them.

The Garmin Connect program will show tons of stuff for every ride. All kinds of left right stuff, it's quite impressive. They will tell you where on the pedal the force is being applied even, neat things.

Having real left/right measurement will be a step up for me. Eliminating all other power meters and pedals will be a step towards simplification that I find really attractive.

?....

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by asindc View Post
    ?....
    If not before.

If competitive does a 20% off a single item, it'll usually apply to these. No telling when they'll do that next.

Twice a year, May and November usually, Clever Training does a 20% off sale that for sure applies to these. I'll probably pick them up in November from them during that sale.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    If not before.

If competitive does a 20% off a single item, it'll usually apply to these. No telling when they'll do that next.

Twice a year, May and November usually, Clever Training does a 20% off sale that for sure applies to these. I'll probably pick them up in November from them during that sale.
    Ah, got it, thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    just bought a power2max s spindle for my Rotor cranks. I like my Time pedals.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

I have been using Look pedals since 1990. I definitely had squeaking in the early days. The bi-material cleats helped quite a bit when they came out. I have never had a squeak since switching to Keo's years ago. I am using a PowerTap hub for power now but the idea of having a swappable pedal is appealing

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    REI will also have their fall member coupon in November. I bought my Vector 2s with a coupon, though I think Garmin is now forcing retailers to honor MSRP.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My LBS just had a 20% off sale on all power meters, including pre order on the Vector 3 pedals. I got a Quarq. I will wait to hear about the V3 reliability. Someday I would like to have pedals that can move from bike to bike, but I want them to last more than 3 seasons. I have a Stages power meter on my indoor trainer, and it is fantastic. (I have a Stages indoor cycle SC3, almost 2 years old, and the whole family uses it.) I have been using Look Keo cleats and pedals for 6 years with no squeaking.

Forever a Student
    I decided to keep all of my Shimano pedal stuff and my Stages and Powertap and all. But I'll get the Vector 3's and try them.

It just comes down to me not trusting Garmin.

Even though it's version 3, I still feel like I'll be a beta tester for them.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    the nightmare continue for my wife and her Garmin S pedal power meter. will be up for sale soon. In yesterday's fondo, her pedals quit 2/3 through the event. dumb. My Stages never fails, not even in yesterday's 6 hours in driving rain. ABG. anything but Garmin. She is so glad to have switched to Briton computer too, which is solid, unlike the G810.

She will likely get a Stages power meter - it is a quick change as long as her bikes all have shimano cranks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    My Vectors have never had dropouts or failed.

On the other hand the failure rate on gen1 Stages was very high. The poor design of the battery door and the flimsy o-ring resulted in sweat and moisture ingress that would corrode the battery and tabs. Stages updated my gen1 housing a full year after its warranty expired since it's been deemed a design flaw internally.
    Last edited by ceugene; 09-10-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by ceugene View Post
    My Vectors have never had dropouts or failed.

On the other hand the failure rate on gen1 Stages was very high. The poor design of the battery door and the flimsy o-ring resulted in sweat and moisture ingress that would corrode the battery and tabs. Stages updated my gen1 housing a full year after its warranty expired since it's been deemed a design flaw internally.
    Well Stages isn't so nice to me.

I had one of the first units in the country. That failed. Stop sending a signal out. They reluctantly replaced it.

The replacement suffered from the bad door design. Had to have new doors sent out for it and such. Turned out a tiny little... and I mean tiny little piece of plastic in the inner housing that holds the door tight broke. Bad design. They know it, it's why they changed it.

Anyway, they wouldn't replace my first gen housing for me for less than $200+ shipping because I was out of warranty on it. Only out of warranty because I got sick of the drop outs and inconsistent data from it that couldn't be trusted so I stopped using it in favor of a Power Tap that actually works.

Stages is not standing behind their first gen housings. They are not replacing them for free or "repairing" the crank arms with them for free to update them. To me this is the mark of a bad company. They have a bad design, they know it, they won't do anything about it out of warranty anymore.

Problems with Stages that end in them telling me to suck it is a main reason for me to try the Garmin pedals.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    I guess I got lucky then. They mentioned the $200, but told me they'd waive it if I produced a receipt. Didn't press them on it or anything.

Either way, I don't think I'd buy a Stages again. The gen2 housing doesn't seem much better. Every time I replace the battery the o-ring falls out, which means it can pick up dirt or otherwise seal poorly when put back into place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ceugene View Post
    I guess I got lucky then. They mentioned the $200, but told me they'd waive it if I produced a receipt. Didn't press them on it or anything.

Either way, I don't think I'd buy a Stages again. The gen2 housing doesn't seem much better. Every time I replace the battery the o-ring falls out, which means it can pick up dirt or otherwise seal poorly when put back into place.
    interesting... I'd go for v2 for free. As for receipt , I got the entire crankset from them and purchased extended warranty. I've only ever had the battery door issue though... no drops.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    interesting... I'd go for v2 for free. As for receipt , I got the entire crankset from them and purchased extended warranty. I've only ever had the battery door issue though... no drops.
    I did get it updated to a gen2. They installed it on the original crank.

The battery door / tab issue leads to moisture ingress and corrosion. It happened very quickly after I started the last trainer season. One of the battery tabs had completely rusted and the CR2032 installed at the time was also covered in oxides. Photo below:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Garmin Vector 3 Review - DC Rainmaker-xv9zvso2ttbfr09qh52w6hna7evtvpgk9q.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow that's bad... I'll be honest mine is on my TT bike (less use) I only look at it when I change the battery. I also have a piece of electrical tape over the top because I don't want to advertise I have a pm on there ..
    PO is a liberal echo chamber.

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    Mine was dropping for a long time without me knowing it. Same with many other people.

The hint is that the average power for the ride will seem low. You then have to go back in and analyze the data and look for sections where you know power and cadence were constant, like on a climb, and see if there's sections of zero reading or drop outs there.

It's not something that shows up on the head unit, especially with 3 second power smoothing.

And once it starts dropping, there's no stopping it. No head unit switch, battery door switch, tape, raised contacts, thickened inner door, nothing will stop it. At that point the unit is less than worthless, it's giving bad data. And at that point they will do nothing for you except sell you a new housing for $200 plus shipping both ways.
    use a torque wrench