48 60.76%
  • NO

31 39.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

Gatorade -revisit

My riding buddy keep arguing his tape H2O is better than my Gatorade. Help me prove he is wrong.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's all over the internet that while working out you need to replace vital salts lost in sweating and water alone will not do that adequately, do a search and show him. I like Gatorade but I dilute it 50% to prevent possible stomach issues while riding and to prevent a weird heavy taste after riding for a while. There are other products out there but Gatorade has been proven with over 40 years under it's belt, and the other stuff is more expensive and does nothing more. If your a pro rider you may need something a bit better, but for the average cyclist...no way.

FNG
    I used to think gatorade was what I wanted, then I used it in my bottle during an 8-hour mtb race last summer. Got my guts in a bunch in an awful way. Hammer Enduralytes Fizz have been good to me since then; everyone's guts are different though, so YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    It's all about the legs, lungs, heart and soul. The gear comes after that.

Fecal indicator
    better at what...?

try dumping a bottle of gatorade over your head to cool off or squirting some in your eyes to remove sweat.

I'm guessing water works better for those instances.

gatorade is expensive and tastes fairly nasty to me.

I used filtered water from the tap when I ride. provides ample hydration, cheap, pleasant taste, and doesn't leave sticky crap on the bike.
    eff all y'all...

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I like Gatorade, but can't stand the taste of it warm on a hot summer day. Blech!

Plain 'ole water with a pinch of salt works for me. Easier to clean your bottles too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    I like Gatorade, but can't stand the taste of it warm on a hot summer day. Blech!

Plain 'ole water with a pinch of salt works for me. Easier to clean your bottles too.
    COLD Getorade FTW!

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland44 View Post
    COLD Getorade FTW!
    Even frozen in an insulated bottle... it still turns warm on long rides on hot days.
    I guess if you ride 30mi with moderate temps it stays cold. But then... Gatorade isn't really needed for such a short spin.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Gatorade is loaded with sugar. Way too much for a diabetic like me. If I have to have a sports drink along, I take Powerade Zero. Electrolytes without any added sugar.

IMO a banana is a better source of potassium than any sports drink. Carbs, sodium and potassium in something that actually tastes good.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mpre53 View Post
    IMO a banana is a better source of potassium than any sports drink.
    Thumbs up for the banana. I'm fond of the easy to open and biodegradeable wrapper too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not fussy. Water, sugars, Na and K, by whatever means. I prefer to dilute sports drinks to 2/3 drink and 1/3 water. I also often dilute 100 cal of fruit juice into 24 oz of water and add 1/8 level tsp of "Lite Salt" (Na + K).
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I used to drink Gatorade quite a bit on rides, but have cut way back on my consumption. Since part of my reason for cycling is to lose weight, I have been trying to cut back on unnecessary calorie consumption. I ride with some guys who seem to consume more calories from gels and drinks than they are probably burning from cycling.

However, I still use Gatorade on long rides during hot weather. It does seem to help prevent cramping when you are sweating a lot. Like others, I use more water than Gatorade calls for in its mixing instructions. I have trouble drinking Gatorade, Power Aid and other sports drinks right out of the bottle; they are just too sweet.

RoadBikeReview Member

Gatorade -revisit

G2 Gatorade has the same electrolyte content as regular and about 1/3 the calories.
    Arguments among misinformed people do not constitute a "debate."
    --Kerry Irons

"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby."
    --BianchiJoe

Cervelo S3/Dura Ace
    Felt B2Pro/SRAM
    Cannondale CAAD10/105

wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    ...gatorade is expensive...
    I buy the big cans of powder at Costco for $10. Definitely not expensive in that form.
    Ride lots!
    Eddy Merckx

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    If your a pro rider you may need something a bit better, but for the average cyclist...no way.
    Judging by many of the posts of people's avg speeds, top speeds, distances, etc. there are tons of people here who are pro material - mostly newbs though.
    I ride mostly in the honorable pursuit of being kissed on both cheeks at the same time by one blond and one brunette. But not redheads, they scare me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I've read studies about protein being beneficial in the body helping absorb the salts and carbs. I believe that's why all the 'recovery drinks' have something like a 3:1 or 4:1 carb-to-protein ratio. I also remember reading something about pros filling their bottles with a mix similar to that. FWIW.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Yep, protein is what you need for recovery after but not doing the ride. For strenuous endurance efforts, you need carbos (sugar) and salt.

I ride in circles..
    I've found that lightly mixed Cytomax works very well for me. I've also started taking Endurolytes prior to long/hard rides. Cramps suck so I'll try anything to not get them.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

Fecal indicator
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipped_in View Post
    I buy the big cans of powder at Costco for $10. Definitely not expensive in that form.
    I wouldn't use it if it was free.
    eff all y'all...

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    I personally think Gatorade and Powerade doesn't do much for me. I've had better luck with Nuun tabs. THis year, gonna try out Skratch Labs.

For short rides, you don't need protein or carbs, just electrolytes. Mid-range rides... add carbs...

for centuries and such.... some protein helps me.

After rides... a nice 4:1 carb to protein drink (chocolate milk is good, but I'm lactose intolerant).... with solid food... then drive to the bar for beer.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    I make my own... brown sugar, sea salt and no-pulp 100% orange juice. I don't mind gatorade but for some reason it never really quenches my thirst and feels "heavy" as described above.
    Argon 18
    Ridley
    Brodie

RoadBikeReview Member
    As a Type 1, I sometimes find I have a need for sugar on the road. Gatorade isn't too bad, and alternating sips with water it seems to work well.
    This wheel's on fire/rollin' down the road

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013

Re: Gatorade -revisit

Depends on a very short ride I will just use water. 30-40 mile jaunt water mixed with sports drink and maybe a peanut butter treat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    On a long ride, after you run through your water bottles, and stoping at that country store, there aren't a lot of options for sugary rehydration.

I voted Oui for Gatorade because maybe 2/3 of the times it really hits the spot, giving me a surge of energy when I get back on the road. I agree with the comment that taste-wise it sucks once warm.

Ricardo Cabeza
    beer.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm allergic to food colouring. So no.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast