RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010

Gear Storage - Need to Organize

Where and how do you store your kits, gloves, shoes, arm/knee warmers, etc. Seems like it should be simple, but I've got socks in a drawer, mountain and road gear in another drawer, cold weather stuff in cabinets and yet anther drawer. My shoes, helmet and gloves are in the gararge near the bikes. I need to get it organized and that's not something that comes easily for me. Now that it's getting colder, it seems like it takes for ever to find what I need and sometimes I can't find it all.

What have you done to organize everything.

Not a climber
    Try one of the plastic 3 drawer things from Target. I've got a small one that I keep bike food stuff and small accessories/tools/lights/etc. A wider one could fit shoes, helmet, and lots of other crap. Plus it won't get hurt when you spill some chain lube or whatever in there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    i have a good sized drying rack and just leave all the gear i wash on it. pull stuff off as i need it and put stuff back on after i wash them

RoadBikeReview Member
    i roll up my jerseys, bibs, base layers etc and stick them in these (hanging shoe racks). you can easily fit 2 items per slot and you can easily see everything. works great IMHO.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "'complicated, diverse creature' is adspeak for a d-bag..."
    -- stevesbike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Like the hanging shoe rack idea.

RoadBikeReview Member
    In my gear room, bulky items like shoes, helmets, locks, etc are on a plastic 5-shelf unit:

Small items like gloves, socks, knee/arm warmers, shoe covers, etc are organized into plastic drawers:

I keep my jerseys, bibs, tights, jackets, etc on a stand-alone rolling garment rack like this:

And finally, the bikes are along one side of the gear room on wheel hooks (4 hooks screwed into 2x10, fastened to studs) or in an upright stand like you can get at any place that sells storage related items.

I have utility carpeting going from the (downstairs) door to the gear room and under the bike storage area so I don't really have to worry about mud/dirt/etc tracking on the carpet. I also have an active Shoe/glove dryer that makes short work of wet articles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xrayjay View Post
    Like the hanging shoe rack idea.
    It really works like a charm - it's pretty space efficient (if you've got a closet handy), it's easy to find stuff, and i don't have piles of lycra falling all over the place.
    "'complicated, diverse creature' is adspeak for a d-bag..."
    -- stevesbike

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I use a closet in one of the spare bedrooms for everything except socks. They're in a drawer.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I might have to give the hanging shoe rack thing a go. Seems like a better idea than a giant pile at the bottom of my closet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I have a large walk-in closet dedicated to my cycling clothing. It's the largest closet in my house.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I keep several rubber maid tufftotes. I travel a lot andt they keep stuff together and can be loaded in the van in a minute, nothing left behind. They are about 1.5'x1.5'x2.5' with stackable lids.

1. All immediate riding stuff, helmet, shoes, snacks, music, dorags.
    2. All jersy's/shorts/winter gear. All jerseys rolled, bags for the rest in boxes.
    3. All immediate MBike gear, except camelback.
    Socks are in the drawer cause I usually just wear lowcut socks 99% the time anyway.
    4. One Tall rubberneck with all service tools in case of an extended trip.

They all all kept in the garage for quick access.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    My current season kit is in a drawer in my bedroom, along with my HRM strap and chamois cream. I keep my off-season kit in a vacuum bag in the closet.

In the front hall closet downstairs I have a Container Store 18x12 handled bin with my shoes, gloves, helmet, pump, tube, bars, garmin, and everything else I need for the ride. I like having the bin because I never forget anything. It's all there up front in one place.