RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

General Sidi Genius 5 fit

wear a sidi dominator size 43. Shoe is snug and toes right up tofront of shoe. A 43.5 Genius puts toes not just to the fron but some wiggle room. A bit of slippage with the 43.5. What is the best fit with a road or any bike shoe/ The 43 which is snug but not tight bit has very little wiggle room for the toes or the 43.5 and live with a tiny bit of slippage???

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zooog
    wear a sidi dominator size 43. Shoe is snug and toes right up tofront of shoe. A 43.5 Genius puts toes not just to the fron but some wiggle room. A bit of slippage with the 43.5. What is the best fit with a road or any bike shoe/ The 43 which is snug but not tight bit has very little wiggle room for the toes or the 43.5 and live with a tiny bit of slippage???

Thanks
    So long as your foot is not uncomfortable, I would opt for the slightly snug. What you can do is remove the insole of the shoe. You don't need the padding (which there isn't much of it to begin with) and that will give you a little extra room. It worked for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd go with the larger size. Leave some room for error as long as they are not too big. Do you wear different socks during colder weather riding? A thicker sock will fill the shoe just fine.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body!!!
    Work to Eat / Eat to Live / Live to Ride / Ride to Work

RoadBikeReview Member

Sidi Fit

The only difference in the half-sizes are they are a bit wider; the length is the same. I would go for the 43. I was in a similar situation with a 44 and 44.5. I opted for the 44.5, but that little bit of slippage walking on the floor equated into too much on the bike. Got the 44's and eBay'd the 44.5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    The size is a little different. The toes almost touch in the 43 and the 43.5 is probably a 1/4 thumb length room. The 43 are not uncomfortable but the 43.5 give a bit of wiggle room. But the slippage worries me.Thanks for the responses..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003

Consider a different brand of shoe

I tried some Nikes after my Sidis but couldn't wear them because of slippage in the heel. My foot is shaped fine for a Sidi or Specialized shoe, but just doesn't fit right in Nikes - don't feel right in their running shoes either. I wouldn't wear shoes with the toes touching the front of the shoe for cycling. You know your foot will swell after an hour or two of riding, so I think you're asking for trouble. I would get the bigger shoes and wear a thicker sock if that';s what it takes to get the right fit. Either that or try a different brand.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Thanks for all the ideas. This what I think will do the trick. For the Size 43.5 I need a bit thicker insole. I actually tried the 43 without the insole and the fit was better but I need to ride with an insole. Any ideas on an insoe that just a bit thicker than the one that comes with the sidi's.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001

As another poster mentioned

Thanks
    A little bit of slippage just walking around can seem like much more on the bike, particularly if you're doing a hammerfest. I prefer my cycling shoes to be a bit tight, unlike backpacking boots (where a 60 lb pack will substantially lengthen your feet during an 8 hour day). If you haven't had problems with a 43 Dominator then you should stick with a 43 Genius too. I like my shoes to be slightly tighter on the road than on the mountain bike. I have 46 Dominators and 45.5 Ergos. The ergos are still comfortable with a thin wool sock (like a DeFeet woolie boolie) and long toenails. I can also fit a thick wool sock in there if needed, but it's not ideal for a long ride in nasty conditions, which is why I have the size 46 mountain shoes. Modern cycling shoe material doesn't stretch very much, but I do think the buckles/velcro/insoles all settle in during the course of a ride, giving you more room than there was in the bike shop. Obviously if the dominator 43 was uncomfortably tight, it'd be stupid to not go with the 43.5 Genius. Just be warned that the 43.5 won't be much longer than a 43, if at all. It's mostly just a bit roomier in the toe area. Hope this helps.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Footbeds?

If you are getting some, then you may need the next size up. If you haven't considered them, you may want to.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    The 43 with the sidi insole in just seems to small. Have been using this shoes for 2 years but I actually believe my 34 Year old feet have grown?? My foot measure out to be a US 9 1/4. Shoes have always been a problem for me. I have tried other manufacturers of bike shoes. Shimano just don't fit. Specialized don't feel stiff enough. I really think I am going to try a thicker type insole in the 43.5. The 43 is fine without an insole but toes are still just barely touching the front of the shoe. The 43.5 with sidi insole at least gives me some wiggle room but I need to get rid of the slight and very slight slippage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Not insoles, footbeds

Don't just think about different insoles; get FOOTBEDS, i.e. orthotic type supporting footbeds, like Surefits, cork footbeds, etc. These provide arch support, help mechanics, feel good, and take up more space.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001

You're getting old

The 43 with the sidi insole in just seems to small. Have been using this shoes for 2 years but I actually believe my 34 Year old feet have grown?? My foot measure out to be a US 9 1/4. Shoes have always been a problem for me. I have tried other manufacturers of bike shoes. Shimano just don't fit. Specialized don't feel stiff enough. I really think I am going to try a thicker type insole in the 43.5. The 43 is fine without an insole but toes are still just barely touching the front of the shoe. The 43.5 with sidi insole at least gives me some wiggle room but I need to get rid of the slight and very slight slippage.
    At age 40, my dad (who had flat, thin feet to begin with) started to outgrow his shoes. Basically they just got flatter and longer. He went from a size 10/10.5 to a solid 12.