RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007

General Warning: Bont shoes, flat feet and general sizing

Hi there,

I wanted to warn anyone considering buying Bont shoes who have flat feet that it is a bad idea! If you have flat feet, try them in a shop before you buy them. DO NOT buy them online.

I bought a pair of the Zero model online - I stood in them on some carpet and basically my entire body weight went into the raised arch of the shoe where I ought to have arches. THIS WAS PAINFUL.They advised me only after I already recieved the shoes that the only way to get Bonts to work with flat feet is to go full custom - this is an extra $360 or so aud on top of the shoe price. Thats nearly 800aud for custom zero's = ridiculously over priced.

I thought I would try something different to the my worn out sidi ergo 2's - they where perfect out of the box...

As for the size wizard - make sure that you have more than 4mm clearance of the shoe, otherwise they are too tight. I measured my feet three times and came out with an average of 268mm - so they advised me to get 43's which are 272mm. they did not fit - my toes touched the end, i needed to get 44's which are 277mm. I wear 43.5 sidi ergo 2's.

In sum, buying Bont's online was a disaster which I totally regret (cost me 70aud in shipping costs for nothing). TRY THEM BEFORE YOU BUY THEM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    yes they're very hot (temperature) too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Dear All,
    Quick declaration, I work for Bont.
    In terms of the flat feet scenario. For starters anyone with issues such as flat feet should first try shoe pre ordering online. One of the aspects of our shoes which we market extensively is the fact that we build in structural arch support into our shoes to stop potential over pronation. If you have mildly flat feet or lower then normal arches this can be dealt with through heat molding. If you have flat feet, you would need to order a pair with flat arches which can be done without the expense of a full custom pair of shoes.
    In terms of full custom Zero's at 800 being too expensive, I think you will find that our pricing for full custom shoes is actually lower then most other custom shoes brands. In terms of what you get for full custom, it includes having a casting made of your feet which is then shipped to our factory where our master shoe makers create a shoe last that exactly replicates every aspect of your feet.That same master builder then hand makes every aspect of the shoes using the finest materials available.
    In terms of the comment re heat, a more normal comment from most is that their ventilation is so good that in winter they ar quite cold.

RoadBikeReview Member

Okay, well here's one for you

I had a set of full customs made in 2010. I wore them for about four months but one of the t-bolts corroded out and during the wait for a replacement part, I came to the realisation that the factory had done the cleat drilling in such a way that I could never get the cleat so the ball of my foot was over the spindle. I recent had to get orthotics and the podiatrist/fitter confirmed that my cleats were located almost perfectly. Any way to get my Bont's redrilled w/o sending them back to Oz from Singapore? I liked the build/concept and power transmission but the cleat position really killed my pedaling suplesse.
    i've got limited minutes left in life, don't waste my time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    You can easily drill the holes yourself; I did that for my Bont shoes. Of course you have to be careful (and make sure the cleats can be properly mounted in the new location).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenN View Post
    Dear All,
    In terms of the flat feet scenario. For starters anyone with issues such as flat feet should first try shoe pre ordering online. One of the aspects of our shoes which we market extensively is the fact that we build in structural arch support into our shoes to stop potential over pronation. If you have mildly flat feet or lower then normal arches this can be dealt with through heat molding. If you have flat feet, you would need to order a pair with flat arches which can be done without the expense of a full custom pair of shoes.
    In terms of full custom Zero's at 800 being too expensive, I think you will find that our pricing for full custom shoes is actually lower then most other custom shoes brands. In terms of what you get for full custom, it includes having a casting made of your feet which is then shipped to our factory where our master shoe makers create a shoe last that exactly replicates every aspect of your feet.That same master builder then hand makes every aspect of the shoes using the finest materials available.
    In terms of the comment re heat, a more normal comment from most is that their ventilation is so good that in winter they ar quite cold.
    I just wanted to clarify that the intent was not to disparage the Bont brand but to tell people with flat feet who didnt seriously pay attention to the arch support claims that they need to try Bonts before they buy them.

The comment about custom was was from the perspective that you shouldn't need a custom shoe to get a shoe to fit. Im sure that full custom shoes would be just about infallible.

It was only after I posted the message and almost two weeks of correspondence that the people at Bont told me about the flat arch sole. They told me heat molding will not work for flat feet. It was my fault for initially not telling Bont I had very flat feet - I forgot because it was a non-issue due to my experience with Sidi.

I decided to order the flat arch shoe, 44 narrow. I will be posting back on this forum to let people know how the shoes go in a month when they arrive.

RoadBikeReview Member

Thanks but that's not the issue

Given the sole depth and proximity of the new holes, will there be sufficient strength to retain the cleat?

Of course secondarily, Singapore is not a big DIY location and people don't own power tools which means I'd have to find a machine shop on an industrial estate which can be a PIA.

Quote Originally Posted by Got Time View Post
    You can easily drill the holes yourself; I did that for my Bont shoes. Of course you have to be careful (and make sure the cleats can be properly mounted in the new location).
    i've got limited minutes left in life, don't waste my time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by boneman View Post
    Given the sole depth and proximity of the new holes, will there be sufficient strength to retain the cleat?
    I don't know how much force you put on the cleats... For me it's rather small (I definitely don't generate any significant torque / pull).

For my shoe the new holes are about 10mm away from the old ones, any closer is probably not a good idea (and should not be necessary as there is some adjustment possible via the cleats themselves, right?).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Dear All,
    One more thing, I think it would be great if you could get someone to add additional information on your website about the availability of the reduced arch support for people with flat feet. this is the site I got my information from - Bont Cycling Shoes :: Zero - there is no mention of the fact that flat-footed people, up to 20% of the cohort buying your products, may have trouble with the arch support.

One sentence would have saved me 70 dollars and two months of not having the right shoes as well as fruitless correspondence with staff who had initially had no idea and had to go to the actual boot maker - at my request - to find out that this product was available.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    I have really flat feet and bad issues with my metatarsal's dislocating and have found the Bont Vaypors to be the best shoes i have ever had.

the stiffness in the soles mean that my foot has no flex at all, which keeps me altogether!

maybe it is just an issue with the Zero's?

Boneman, have you spoken to BikePlus, they are a dealer here and may "have someone" that can help?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    How did you tie your laces? Was the lace provieded too long for your Zero?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

комплексная р

seo-miheeff ru]seo раскрутка бесплатная оптимизация сайта Ссылочный брокер представляет часть Статейного продвижения, который справится с задачей написания и размещения релевантных SEO-статей и PR-статей всякий сложности

Почему мы?
    •6 лет опыта размещения SEO-статей и PR-статей;
    •уникальные тексты чтобы размещения SEO-статей только следовать 4 дол /1000 знаков, т е 8 дол /статья;
    •тематические SEO-статьи, релевантные ключевому запросу, сколько повышает цена ссылки из такой статьи;
    •подготовка выборки оптимальных площадок чтобы статейного продвижения ради 1 работник день Отправляете запрос сегодня – ответ будет уже завтра!
    •подбор площадок чтобы статейного продвижения с учетом тематики сайта, региона продвижения, бюджета рекламодателя
    •никаких комиссий – экономьте от 10 перед 30%!
    •год гарантии размещения БЕЗВОЗМЕЗДНО!
    •предоставляем скидки для оптовые заказы по размещению предварительно seo-miheeff ru учебник раскрутка сайта seo оптимизация сайта joomla

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    I am in the process of buying a pair of Bonts. I originally went to the website to try the sizing wizard. I followed the instructions very carefully. I wear a size 10 street shoe, with a slightly wider foot than normal. I currently wear a size 44 Lake in a wide version, and it fits rather well. After I did the sizing wizard it said that a 44 wide is what I would need. I was told by the dealer to still come in and try them on. I was really surprised at the results. First, I tried a 44 regular (in fact they had no wides in stock so I only tried on regulars), and it was incredibly tight on the sides, but more surprising was that my toes were bunched up in front, they were too short. I then tried on the 44.5's and it was still much too tight in the sides and still surprisingly short. I then tried on the 45s, and the width was fine and the length was fine, in terms of where my toes were, but the heel seemed slightly long. It was snug fit though. I even tried them on with the same type of insole that I use. In the end, after much discussion with the dealer, who is also a bike fitter, we decided that 45 regulars are the way to go, and any concern over the heel could be molded. SO, I would definitely recommend anyone purchasing Bonts to definitely try them on. I would never in a million years think that I was anything but a 44. I have been wearing 44s in Adidas, Specializeds, Lakes. When I went back to the sizing wizard on the Bont website, I plugged in numbers increasing by one millimeter from my measurement that would get to a 45 regular and it was a centimeter difference. That seems to be quite a bit. I am looking forward to the shoes, and I am glad that I tried them on. My foot felt very snug, comfortably so, and I have heard nothing but great things about the ride (from people I know who have them). Just a warning to try them on first!

Old, slow, and fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickNice View Post
    I am in the process of buying a pair of Bonts. I originally went to the website to try the sizing wizard. I followed the instructions very carefully. I wear a size 10 street shoe, with a slightly wider foot than normal. I currently wear a size 44 Lake in a wide version, and it fits rather well. After I did the sizing wizard it said that a 44 wide is what I would need. I was told by the dealer to still come in and try them on. I was really surprised at the results. First, I tried a 44 regular (in fact they had no wides in stock so I only tried on regulars), and it was incredibly tight on the sides, but more surprising was that my toes were bunched up in front, they were too short. I then tried on the 44.5's and it was still much too tight in the sides and still surprisingly short. I then tried on the 45s, and the width was fine and the length was fine, in terms of where my toes were, but the heel seemed slightly long. It was snug fit though. I even tried them on with the same type of insole that I use. In the end, after much discussion with the dealer, who is also a bike fitter, we decided that 45 regulars are the way to go, and any concern over the heel could be molded. SO, I would definitely recommend anyone purchasing Bonts to definitely try them on. I would never in a million years think that I was anything but a 44. I have been wearing 44s in Adidas, Specializeds, Lakes. When I went back to the sizing wizard on the Bont website, I plugged in numbers increasing by one millimeter from my measurement that would get to a 45 regular and it was a centimeter difference. That seems to be quite a bit. I am looking forward to the shoes, and I am glad that I tried them on. My foot felt very snug, comfortably so, and I have heard nothing but great things about the ride (from people I know who have them). Just a warning to try them on first!
    Yeah, Bont's sizing was kinda whacky. They've gotten more into line with the rest of the shoe guys lately, but if you're getting some on closeout, try em first.

M
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

RoadBikeReview Member
    To the OP, the arch of a cycling shoe is supposed to feel somewhat intrusive when you stand in them (see Steve Hogg on arches and cycling), Did you try them on the bike after molding them? I have medium high arches and still use esoles footbeds with high arch support in my Bonts. I was riding with a few United Healthcare riders who wear Bonts, and their opinion was that the shoe was fairly neutral out of the box re arch support. If the Bont rep is still here, would be interesting to know how much arch support is designed in and how much it can be changed via molding.

I found my Bonts took some time and a few molding sessions to get set up right, but they have become my favorite shoe. Now looking for an excuse to toss my mtb shoes and buy some bont xc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesbike View Post
    To the OP, the arch of a cycling shoe is supposed to feel somewhat intrusive when you stand in them (see Steve Hogg on arches and cycling), Did you try them on the bike after molding them? I have medium high arches and still use esoles footbeds with high arch support in my Bonts. I was riding with a few United Healthcare riders who wear Bonts, and their opinion was that the shoe was fairly neutral out of the box re arch support. If the Bont rep is still here, would be interesting to know how much arch support is designed in and how much it can be changed via molding.

I found my Bonts took some time and a few molding sessions to get set up right, but they have become my favorite shoe. Now looking for an excuse to toss my mtb shoes and buy some bont xc.
    Unfortunately I was not able to ride in the shoes or heat mold them - otherwise I would not have been able to return them... I did order a pair of narrow shoes - maybe they where too narrow? My feet are 94mm wide... But as I said, I couldnt really stand in the shoes because all of my body weight pressed into the sides of my feet which was pretty painful! Maybe if I didnt get the narrow fit and got the next size up they would work.... what do you reckon?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zappafile123 View Post
    Unfortunately I was not able to ride in the shoes or heat mold them - otherwise I would not have been able to return them... I did order a pair of narrow shoes - maybe they where too narrow? My feet are 94mm wide... But as I said, I couldnt really stand in the shoes because all of my body weight pressed into the sides of my feet which was pretty painful! Maybe if I didnt get the narrow fit and got the next size up they would work.... what do you reckon?
    if you're still looking for a shoe and don't have a good source locally to try them on, I'd suggest using one of the competitive cyclist sites (also realcyclist) which allow you to try the shoe for a while and return it if it doesn't work for you (comp cyclist has lifetime return now). A shoe that might work for you is the Giro since they are made with minimal arch in the last and come with a footbed with adjustable arch heights. You'd probably be a 43 in a GIro.

Re the bonts, the width may have been an issue, but it sounds like the cost of getting it wrong again is pretty high.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesbike View Post
    if you're still looking for a shoe and don't have a good source locally to try them on, I'd suggest using one of the competitive cyclist sites (also ) which allow you to try the shoe for a while and return it if it doesn't work for you (comp cyclist has lifetime return now). A shoe that might work for you is the Giro since they are made with minimal arch in the last and come with a footbed with adjustable arch heights. You'd probably be a 43 in a GIro.

Re the bonts, the width may have been an issue, but it sounds like the cost of getting it wrong again is pretty high.
    I agree, the risk outweighs the potential benefit. I will stick with sidi I reckon - go for the 2013 ergo 3 wire vent - there appears to be sufficient novelty with that shoe over my ergo 2. In all honestly, the ergo 2 is a really nice shoe, it may not be as stiff as bonts, but I imagine that the difference isnt actually going to result in a performance benefit of any significance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Very interested in Bont. No U.S. phone support?

Dear All,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by everything motorcycles View Post
    Very interested in Bont. No U.S. phone support?
    I am a Bont fan. Email Glenn Koshi at glenn@bont.com. Tell him PBL from NJ sent you. He will get you exactly what you need and it will be perfect.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    deleted
    Last edited by tvad; 05-30-2014 at 03:21 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ddozzoyo View Post
    seo-miheeff ru]seo раскрутка бесплатная оптимизация сайта Ссылочный брокер представляет часть Статейного продвижения, который справится с задачей написания и размещения релевантных SEO-статей и PR-статей всякий сложности

Почему мы?
    6 лет опыта размещения SEO-статей и PR-статей;
    уникальные тексты чтобы размещения SEO-статей только следовать 4 дол /1000 знаков, т е 8 дол /статья;
    тематические SEO-статьи, релевантные ключевому запросу, сколько повышает цена ссылки из такой статьи;
    подготовка выборки оптимальных площадок чтобы статейного продвижения ради 1 работник день Отправляете запрос сегодня ответ будет уже завтра!
    подбор площадок чтобы статейного продвижения с учетом тематики сайта, региона продвижения, бюджета рекламодателя
    никаких комиссий экономьте от 10 перед 30%!
    год гарантии размещения БЕЗВОЗМЕЗДНО!
    предоставляем скидки для оптовые заказы по размещению предварительно seo-miheeff ru учебник раскрутка сайта seo оптимизация сайта joomla
    ^^THIS^^

I have flat feet too. Carnacs work best for me, followed by Sidis and PI.

RoadBikeReview Member
    First, imho buying a pair of shoes is about as specific to sizing as I/anyone can get. I will only buy shoes in person, in a store, where I can try multiple pairs of shoes on. I'm just asking for a disaster to happen if I attempt to buy shoes online. my .02

Also, when I did try on new road shoes in my lbs I narrowed down my choices to a specific Bont shoe and a Shimano shoe. Both pairs felt great to my feet and the Bont's were a bit cheaper. So, I went with the Bonts and am very satisfied with the purchase.

Each person is different from wide feet to narrow feet to flat feet to short feet and anything in between. Do yourself a favor and spend time in your favorite lbs and try on shoes in person.