Just Ridin'

Giant Defy Advanced 3 vs Trek Madone 4.5 vs Cannondale Six Carbon 5 vs Synapse Carb 5

Okay, so here's my dilemma....

I'm looking to get a sub $2,000 road bike. This is to be used for a fast 25 mile round trip-commute daily and the occasional 100+ miler at weekends.

I've narrowed down my selection to the following bikes:
    - Giant Defy Advanced 3 Compact
    - Trek Madone 4.5 Compact
    - Cannondale Six Carbon 5
    - Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5 Compact

Do people have good advice about which one to get ((yes, I'll be trying them out over the weekend and can post updates if one feels better than the others).

Please limit your comments to the above bikes - I know that there are others out there but don't wnat to hear about them (no offence)!
    Last edited by neilcrumpton; 09-10-2010 at 09:44 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Got to ride a Defy Adv 3 for a week last month and really dug it.

Haven't tried any of the other three listed so can't offer any help there.

Did a number of decent test rides on an Alu/Carbon Synapse but didn't like it quite as much as the Roubaix.

Just Ridin'
    Thanks SidNitzerglobin - appreciate the endorsement on the Defy Adv 3 - it's looking like a favorite at this (early) stage, followed by the Trek...but it seems close on all four!
    Last edited by neilcrumpton; 09-16-2010 at 02:26 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by neilcrumpton
    Thansk SidNitzerglobin - appreciate the endorsement on the Defy Adv 3 - it's looking like a favorite at this (early) stage, followed by the Trek...but it seems close on all four!
    Yeah, probably any of them are going to be comparable in quality of the frames w/ minimal differences in components and it will really come down to which geometry fits your purposes, looks, and feels the best to you.

One thing to consider is that the Defy Advanced 3 comes w/ the oft maligned FSA Gossamer cranks/MegaExo BB combo (or the 2010 model I rode did anyways). I have the same combo on my road bike and have yet to encounter any issues personally, but others apparently have. Not sure what you're looking at on a component per component basis on the other choices. The Giant definitely seemed to feature a nice compromise between the bump eating ability of a full on endurance geo and the curve carving snappy handling of a race geo IMO.
    Last edited by SidNitzerglobin; 09-10-2010 at 11:44 AM.

Hi
    Giant (and Scott to some degree) tend to take what were their high-end frames and keep them in the lineup at reduced price points as the newer/better is brought into production.

Given that carbon's rate of advance has fallen off significantly in the last several years, these remain excellent frames by any measure.

Just Ridin'
    Quote Originally Posted by SidNitzerglobin
    One thing to consider is that the Defy Advanced 3 comes w/ the oft maligned FSA Gossamer cranks/MegaExo BB combo (or the 2010 model I rode did anyways). I have the same combo on my road bike and have yet to encounter any issues personally, but others apparently have. Not sure what you're looking at on a component per component basis on the other choices..
    All of them have the FSA Gossamer (with MegaExo BB) apart from the Trek which comes with Shimano R-600.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by neilcrumpton
    All of them have the FSA Gossamer (with MegaExo BB) apart from the Trek which comes with Shimano R-600.
    Ah, cool. An almost non-factor then.

Like I said, I have yet to experience any issues personally, but if I do down the road it shouldn't be too awfully expensive or complex to replace them w/ 105 or Ultegra.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Get the one you think looks coolest... it's about a tossup otherwise. I like my Madone 4.5. If you're not dead set on carbon check out Neuvation. I love my F100 as much as my Madone, it's lighter (3lbs), and with SRAM Force (Rival brakes) it came in $500 less.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    If you're gonna do 50-100 milers, I would bet your neck and back would appreciate the Synapse Carbon...definitely more comfortable in that respect, with the relaxed geo of the taller head tube. The bike is buttery smooth, yet still feels lively to me compared to some others.

Personally, I found the Giant kinda plain looking and the Trek kinda dull feeling....

Also, you might check out the Look 566...relaxed geo, lively feeling, although I found it a little too "sharp" for me. Maybe the wheelbase is shorter?

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I recently bought a Deft Advanced. It's surprisingly comfortable, yet very responsive & handles great. I've ridden Madones & they have a nice feel. I got the Giant because I think it's a smoother ride. I haven't ridden either one of the C'dales, but a woman in our club just bought one. She, of course, loves it and it looks great.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

Just Ridin'
    Thanks for all the tips - I went to a few bike stores this weekend and no one had these bikes in my size (54 cm or M, M/L) as they're waiting for the 2011 range. I love the look of the 2011 Synapse Carbon 5 and the more relaxed riding position (which I think the Madone / H2 also has), so I guess I'll have to wait until the end of October to try the new 2011 Cannondale's (when they are released).
    Last edited by neilcrumpton; 09-13-2010 at 08:26 AM.

Molto bene
    A friend of mine rides a Giant Defy Advanced 3 and absolutely loves it. He looked at those same Cannondales when he was looking to purchase as well.

GRP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    I have a Giant Defy Alliance 1, it has the same geometry as the advanced. I can say that you won't be dissapointed in the Defy. I'm an old guy and I have ridden the Defy for 6 hrs with no aches or pains, it rides great and climbs like a mountian goat. But now I'm in the same boat as you, my daughter has taken a fancy to my Defy, so now I need a new bike. The Giant Defy Advanced is a no brainer, but the new colors are horrible. Red and White tape with red cables. I want the Defy Advanced 1, but don't know if I can live with the color

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GRP
    I have a Giant Defy Alliance 1, it has the same geometry as the advanced. I can say that you won't be dissapointed in the Defy. I'm an old guy and I have ridden the Defy for 6 hrs with no aches or pains, it rides great and climbs like a mountian goat. But now I'm in the same boat as you, my daughter has taken a fancy to my Defy, so now I need a new bike. The Giant Defy Advanced is a no brainer, but the new colors are horrible. Red and White tape with red cables. I want the Defy Advanced 1, but don't know if I can live with the color
    I think it's really unfortunate that many manufacturers offer only 1 color per model. If you want the bike that's the color you're getting, period. It's too bad. I'd like to see 3 different choices per model. They could be the same colors for any of the models but at least you'd have some choice. Of course, they paint them all the same as a cost saving measure, & cyclists who want the bike are stuck with it.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.