Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 101 to 118 of 118
  1. #101
    tlg
    tlg is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    11,216
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    Keep in mind, We're only hearing one side of the story.
    Yup. I don't believe for an instant that Giant would've taken the frame (for 3 weeks of evaluation) knowing up front he wasn't the original owner. Not buying it. They wouldn't waste their time.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  2. #102
    Neophyte
    Reputation: jetdog9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,478
    Coming to the conclusion that Giant cannot design or manufacture carbon bike frames based on the story of one Internet forum thread vs their global track record may be a little short-sided. On the whole they are very reputable.

  3. #103
    tlg
    tlg is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    11,216
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Coming to the conclusion that Giant cannot design or manufacture carbon bike frames based on the story of one Internet forum thread vs their global track record may be a little short-sided. On the whole they are very reputable.
    And the world's largest bike manufacturer.

    Clearly.. they can't design or manufacture.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  4. #104
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Coming to the conclusion that Giant cannot design or manufacture carbon bike frames based on the story of one Internet forum thread vs their global track record may be a little short-sided. On the whole they are very reputable.
    To be clear: I've had a Giant TCR (carbon frame) and I can't complain about their customer service. After a few months the saddle started to creak and they replace the seat post immediately, no questions asked. Problem solved.

    The frame didn't fit (my fault!) but for the rest it was the best frame I've ever had. I now ride a Bianchi Intenso (also carbon), which has a near perfect fit for me. It has a nice, comfortable frame but I personally feel the Giant was technically superior (and much cheaper...).

    No, I'm not judging Giant, I was only expressing my amazement. Never before I read a claim by somebody that a company like Giant can’t properly design or manufacture frames(*), and throws a near-suicidal commercial attitude into the bargain.

    Not saying it isn't true, but amazing it is.


    (*) As confirmed by some of the top composite experts in the country, who have been expert witnesses (ironically for bike manufacturers) in personal injury cases.


  5. #105
    Cycling Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,621
    I don't know of any bicycle manufacturer who gives a warranty that covers beyond the original owner, so I do not know why people are castigating Giant over this. If the bike was purchased as a gift, then the OP should have been given a receipt as well.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

  6. #106
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    26
    Got my frame back, minus a bunch of parts including the cable guide and bottom bracket. The LBS says they did not touch the frame. The BB is not that big a deal, I can get another for $20, but where do you get a Giant cable guide for this specific frame? Let me guess, Giant will sell me one. I am beginning to hate GIANT.

  7. #107
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    26
    Here is a better image of the failure with the cable guide out of the way thanks to Giant losing it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GIANT denies warranty on obvious manufacturing defect for 2014 Defy Advanced 1-img-0861.jpg  

  8. #108
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,390
    it's still cracked

  9. #109
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    26
    Sadly.
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    it's still cracked

  10. #110
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,390
    oh I thought you got it back from being repaired.

  11. #111
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    And the world's largest bike manufacturer.

    Clearly.. they can't design or manufacture.
    GM used to be the largest automobile manufacturer and some of the engineering was well not exactly top shelf.

  12. #112
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    oh I thought you got it back from being repaired.
    Nope, Giant would not return the frame. They kept promising to have it at the shop at Tuesday, but there was always an excuse. Finally showed up. I am going to send it out for repair soon.

  13. #113
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,931
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    GM used to be the largest automobile manufacturer and some of the engineering was well not exactly top shelf.
    Which may have something to do with their global market share dropping drastically in the 1980s during the Roger Smith years.

    But hey, as long as the stock holders are happy, who needs quality?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  14. #114
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    725
    I would insist that they return the b.b. and cable guide. Terrible customer service.

    Maybe more of these failures need to be addressed with the CPSC.

  15. #115
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: kiwisimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    5,868
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Nope, Giant would not return the frame. They kept promising to have it at the shop at Tuesday, but there was always an excuse. Finally showed up. I am going to send it out for repair soon.
    get the shop to get back the missing parts, they owe you those as they are your property. TBH after a repair that will be good to ride for years more. Ride it till you buy your next bike and don't buy another Giant. What did Giant attribute the damage to?

  16. #116
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    646
    Reading Paul's travails here is terrible. I personally have never heard of bad-mouthing about Giant---and their bikes (their name-branded ones) constitute a decent amount of ownership from the riders/racers I know in the Benelux region. Many have a Giant in their stable.

    I always thought if I was going to finally going to get past my worries & concerns about owning/riding a carbon (which I am in the process of doing via another thread here), I should consider a Giant. Was considering a Defy, despite it not having rim brakes which is sort of something I really wanted to stay with when going to a carbon frame. Now, due to this thread, considering a Giant I am just not so sure now.......

  17. #117
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,931
    Quote Originally Posted by BelgianHammer View Post
    Reading Paul's travails here is terrible. I personally have never heard of bad-mouthing about Giant---and their bikes (their name-branded ones) constitute a decent amount of ownership from the riders/racers I know in the Benelux region. Many have a Giant in their stable.

    I always thought if I was going to finally going to get past my worries & concerns about owning/riding a carbon (which I am in the process of doing via another thread here), I should consider a Giant. Was considering a Defy, despite it not having rim brakes which is sort of something I really wanted to stay with when going to a carbon frame. Now, due to this thread, considering a Giant I am just not so sure now.......
    It also has a press fit BB which I know you are trying to avoid.

    I really like the black/yellow and black/orange color schemes on the Defy Advanced 1 and Defy Advanced 3 models. They look really sharp. And it seems like you're getting a lot of bike for the money on the Defy Advanced 1 even if those wheels are throw aways.

    However, after hearing about the lackluster customer service here, I would be hesitant.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  18. #118
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    352
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Which may have something to do with their global market share dropping drastically in the 1980s during the Roger Smith years.

    But hey, as long as the stock holders are happy, who needs quality?
    More like, keeping the stockholders un-annoyed is necessary so they can continue to give themselves eye-watering bonuses. But you're right, quality takes a back seat to the REAL concerns of the business. And still does.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-29-2014, 09:47 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-29-2013, 03:44 PM
  3. Giant Defy 1 Vs. Defy Advanced 3
    By Uphill70 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-22-2013, 04:34 PM
  4. 2010 defy advanced 2 or 2011 defy advanced 3?
    By Defy in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-04-2012, 05:20 PM
  5. Giant Defy or Defy Advanced for Big Guy?
    By WoodyCT in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-20-2009, 07:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

roadbikereview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.