Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    Keep in mind, We're only hearing one side of the story.
    Yup. I don't believe for an instant that Giant would've taken the frame (for 3 weeks of evaluation) knowing up front he wasn't the original owner. Not buying it. They wouldn't waste their time.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Neophyte
    Coming to the conclusion that Giant cannot design or manufacture carbon bike frames based on the story of one Internet forum thread vs their global track record may be a little short-sided. On the whole they are very reputable.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Coming to the conclusion that Giant cannot design or manufacture carbon bike frames based on the story of one Internet forum thread vs their global track record may be a little short-sided. On the whole they are very reputable.
    And the world's largest bike manufacturer.

Clearly.. they can't design or manufacture.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2014
    To be clear: I've had a Giant TCR (carbon frame) and I can't complain about their customer service. After a few months the saddle started to creak and they replace the seat post immediately, no questions asked. Problem solved.

The frame didn't fit (my fault!) but for the rest it was the best frame I've ever had. I now ride a Bianchi Intenso (also carbon), which has a near perfect fit for me. It has a nice, comfortable frame but I personally feel the Giant was technically superior (and much cheaper...).

No, I'm not judging Giant, I was only expressing my amazement. Never before I read a claim by somebody that a company like Giant can’t properly design or manufacture frames(*), and throws a near-suicidal commercial attitude into the bargain.

Not saying it isn't true, but amazing it is.

(*) As confirmed by some of the top composite experts in the country, who have been expert witnesses (ironically for bike manufacturers) in personal injury cases.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    I don't know of any bicycle manufacturer who gives a warranty that covers beyond the original owner, so I do not know why people are castigating Giant over this. If the bike was purchased as a gift, then the OP should have been given a receipt as well.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018
    Got my frame back, minus a bunch of parts including the cable guide and bottom bracket. The LBS says they did not touch the frame. The BB is not that big a deal, I can get another for $20, but where do you get a Giant cable guide for this specific frame? Let me guess, Giant will sell me one. I am beginning to hate GIANT.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018
    Here is a better image of the failure with the cable guide out of the way thanks to Giant losing it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GIANT denies warranty on obvious manufacturing defect for 2014 Defy Advanced 1-img-0861.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    it's still cracked

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018
    Sadly.
    it's still cracked

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    oh I thought you got it back from being repaired.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    And the world's largest bike manufacturer.

Clearly.. they can't design or manufacture.
    GM used to be the largest automobile manufacturer and some of the engineering was well not exactly top shelf.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018
    oh I thought you got it back from being repaired.
    Nope, Giant would not return the frame. They kept promising to have it at the shop at Tuesday, but there was always an excuse. Finally showed up. I am going to send it out for repair soon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    GM used to be the largest automobile manufacturer and some of the engineering was well not exactly top shelf.
    Which may have something to do with their global market share dropping drastically in the 1980s during the Roger Smith years.

But hey, as long as the stock holders are happy, who needs quality?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    I would insist that they return the b.b. and cable guide. Terrible customer service.

Maybe more of these failures need to be addressed with the CPSC.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Nope, Giant would not return the frame. They kept promising to have it at the shop at Tuesday, but there was always an excuse. Finally showed up. I am going to send it out for repair soon.
    get the shop to get back the missing parts, they owe you those as they are your property. TBH after a repair that will be good to ride for years more. Ride it till you buy your next bike and don't buy another Giant. What did Giant attribute the damage to?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Reading Paul's travails here is terrible. I personally have never heard of bad-mouthing about Giant---and their bikes (their name-branded ones) constitute a decent amount of ownership from the riders/racers I know in the Benelux region. Many have a Giant in their stable.

I always thought if I was going to finally going to get past my worries & concerns about owning/riding a carbon (which I am in the process of doing via another thread here), I should consider a Giant. Was considering a Defy, despite it not having rim brakes which is sort of something I really wanted to stay with when going to a carbon frame. Now, due to this thread, considering a Giant I am just not so sure now.......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelgianHammer View Post
    Reading Paul's travails here is terrible. I personally have never heard of bad-mouthing about Giant---and their bikes (their name-branded ones) constitute a decent amount of ownership from the riders/racers I know in the Benelux region. Many have a Giant in their stable.

I always thought if I was going to finally going to get past my worries & concerns about owning/riding a carbon (which I am in the process of doing via another thread here), I should consider a Giant. Was considering a Defy, despite it not having rim brakes which is sort of something I really wanted to stay with when going to a carbon frame. Now, due to this thread, considering a Giant I am just not so sure now.......
    It also has a press fit BB which I know you are trying to avoid.

I really like the black/yellow and black/orange color schemes on the Defy Advanced 1 and Defy Advanced 3 models. They look really sharp. And it seems like you're getting a lot of bike for the money on the Defy Advanced 1 even if those wheels are throw aways.

However, after hearing about the lackluster customer service here, I would be hesitant.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Which may have something to do with their global market share dropping drastically in the 1980s during the Roger Smith years.

But hey, as long as the stock holders are happy, who needs quality?
    More like, keeping the stockholders un-annoyed is necessary so they can continue to give themselves eye-watering bonuses. But you're right, quality takes a back seat to the REAL concerns of the business. And still does.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018

Repaired

Thanks to Cameron from "Broken Carbon" in Boulder Colorado the frame is repaired. Time to build the bike up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GIANT denies warranty on obvious manufacturing defect for 2014 Defy Advanced 1-frame-repair.jpg  
    Last edited by Paul H; 06-27-2018 at 12:14 PM.

Neophyte
    Just curious, would he have charged extra to fix the paint/finish or is the pic from before he is done? I'm sure it's functionally fine but I don't think I've ever seen a carbon repair job look like that (not that anybody sees that part of the bike).

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Looks good to me.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018
    He put clear coat on it. The repair looks better in person, but I can paint it if I want. I don't remember if we discussed paint work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Just curious, would he have charged extra to fix the paint/finish or is the pic from before he is done? I'm sure it's functionally fine but I don't think I've ever seen a carbon repair job look like that (not that anybody sees that part of the bike).
    looks like the repairer used 12k weave, which makes it look a lot different than the unidirectional carbon. Using unidirectional to repair would make the repair not as strong. Anyway, the repair looks functionally good to me

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018

After quick paint

Painted with flat black and added cable guides.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GIANT denies warranty on obvious manufacturing defect for 2014 Defy Advanced 1-frame-after-paint.jpg  

Neophyte
    Just FYI I wasn't meaning to be critical, was just curious. All the frame repairs I've seen otherwise in person (my own and a couple friends) were all on frames that had gloss paint jobs and the painting after the frame repair made it impossible to tell work was even done.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast