RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013

Question Giant Power Pro Power Meter!?!?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/global/showcase/powerpro

Giant is now in the power meter business?!? Curious that I haven't seen reviews of this power meter sprinkled across every cycling web site yet.

What's the deal... is it only for Giant bikes? The web site says, "Power for All"... does that mean it will be affordable for normal humans who have to work for a living?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looks nice, and also looks like a Pioneer PM with wireless charging instead of needing batteries replaced. I like new PM options, helps keep pricing competitive.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    power meters are becoming commodity fast. I think a lot of folks into power are waiting for the Shimano one, at least I am curious about the Shimano one more than anything else out there

RoadBikeReview Member
    @aclinjury - yeah, I would not want to own stock in SRM. It used to be, if you wanted a very accurate PM, that was the only option. But at $3,000, it was (is) far from mainstream.

I love (!) that so many companies are getting into the power meter market - only gonna make'em better and cheaper.

My first thought with the Giant power meter was "Wow... they took a pretty big bite out of that crank arm to make room for the battery... I wonder if that arm is as stiff as a stock arm?"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    the Pioneer left pod is pretty big too, maybe that's why the battery door is rock solid. I wonder who's Giant's partner in this? Could it be Pioneer?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Pioneer
    "On long training rides, never use energy greater than you would use walking. You should arrive home fresh, not beaten up."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post

My first thought with the Giant power meter was "Wow... they took a pretty big bite out of that crank arm to make room for the battery... I wonder if that arm is as stiff as a stock arm?"
    If it's like the Pioneer set up there's nothing taken out of the arm, its just glued to the arm like stages does also, so no impact on strength. It can have some clearance issues with some frames though - my pioneer won't fit on my Crockett due to the pod / frame clearance on the NDS.

Interestingly, looking at the online manual it doesn't talk about orientation with the magnets on the frame which are part of the Pioneer system. Will be interesting to hear if the Pioneer computer works with it to pick up the data they are sending to phones instead of the bike computer.
    Last edited by Srode; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:47 AM.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    "Hey Trek and Specialized, see this?!??!"

I'm hoping that once all the "big boys" start getting into the power meter game, volume and competition will finally make the meters affordable to the masses.