RoadBikeReview Member

Giro Aeon Sizing

What's the consensus, bigger more comfort, tighter less comfort?

My head is at the top range of the Medium at about 23". Giro Aeon sizing is M 21.75-23.25 and L 23.25 - 24.75. By the specs I should be good with a medium but the medium pinches a little around my temples. My head shape must be more wide or sumthin'. The large has no pinch and I can make it fit with the adjustments no problem—feels good. But there is a little empty space in the front and back between my head and helmet. As far as comfort, large all the way. But what about safety? Is this OK or go with the Medium and deal with the pinch?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    I'd think you'd be fine with the L. As long as the fit is snug and not flopping around on your noggin get what's comfortable.

*I'm not an expert at anything so take what I say with a grain of salt

RoadBikeReview Member
    Anyone else have an opinion?

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert1 View Post
    What's the consensus, bigger more comfort, tighter less comfort?

My head is at the top range of the Medium at about 23". Giro Aeon sizing is M 21.75-23.25 and L 23.25 - 24.75. By the specs I should be good with a medium but the medium pinches a little around my temples. My head shape must be more wide or sumthin'. The large has no pinch and I can make it fit with the adjustments no problem—feels good. But there is a little empty space in the front and back between my head and helmet. As far as comfort, large all the way. But what about safety? Is this OK or go with the Medium and deal with the pinch?
    My attorney has recommended that I not give my opinion in this thread.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    I'm in the same situation as you. I went with M because the L looks so large on my head.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Runs HUGE and I mean HUGE#

I wear a 7/12 inch baseball cap and the medium fit me perfect. The L was to big for my head.......

Great helmet though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    I just bought an Atmos large, and with a 23.5 inch head, it feels big enough that I am now wondering if I could have used a medium. But it fits fine with the adjustment mechanism, and I find that it's always better to have something a little too large than a little too small, especially in the case of helmets if you wear a skullcap or other headwear in the colder months.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ya I ended up going with the large on the Aeon. Took it for a 30 mile ride the other day and it felt fine. I just didn't want to deal with the pinching on the sides with the medium even though the specs say it should have worked for me. I think even thought these newer helmets look bigger overall then some of the older ones—probably to make up for the bigger slots for venting—they seem to run smaller in fit then the older helmets. I have an older Giro Ventoux which is a medium and has at much space if not more on the inside than the large Aeon. Of course the Ventoux looks much smaller on the outside.