Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Giro Empire

8K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  Cyclo-phile 
#1 ·
Finally my Giro Empire Shoe has arrived.

#2 ·
A solution for a problem that does not exist.
I own some shoes that I must lace up more then once to get them right and they are not bike shoes.
I would never go back to laces for bike shoes, the ratchet gets them right every time and I can adjust them while riding, but I never need to, try that with laces.
You know the saying, A fool and his money----.

#4 ·
They look real slick in black. I for one am welcome to laces. Have yet to try BOA, but I bottom out regular ratchets/buckles, and while they work for many I think the fit is far from perfect. For me it's really just the main buckle doing any holding while the other straps are limited to the velcro patch.

My main gripe about the Empires is that they cost so much. Wanna know your impression, though.

#8 ·
I like the Giro Empire as a shoe, but the laces are a throwback to the early days... I like their look, but to me it boils down to performance over its form.
As For BOA. I own Lake CX401 and LOVE THEM.... bought them on Nashbar last X-mas for $199... I got the speedplay specific ones, and did the whole Baking in the oven for 3-4 min, and molding process <- after this, they disappear under your feet when you pedal. Just saw some all black ones... might have to splurge on a another pair just to have them in plain black.. LMAO

#5 ·
Agreed. Your experience is very similar to mine. Had single BOA snowboard boots, much pressure around the boa clicker and then lessened as the coil got further away from clicker. Bought double BOA boots.... perfect

Tried on single BOA low level Spesh pro roads, single boa..... very tight instep and then pressure lessens up front where the mostly cosmetic strap is and by the heel (because no ankle strap).

btw: If anyone is curious, I settled on Mavic's Pro Road. 7mm thick sole, stiff and comfy, well built, stretch buckles.

#9 ·
Have not had time to ride in these shoes yet, since the weather is not great in Taiwan right now. As for shoelace is concerned I had them on my Bont Zero (which I could not get it fit right). I got a great deal on this shoe when Arts Cyclery had a black Friday sale, so I preordered it in November. I think for me this is more casual riding shoe like going for a coffee run. Will know how I like it after I get a few rides on it, but I do also have the prolight slx shoe too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.