Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

giro monza or bell ghisallo

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Flatlander 
#1 ·
I am looking for a new helmet ethier the monza or ghisallo. Does anyone have opinions about these two?

#2 · (Edited)
our team uses the Ghisallo

I don't have any feedback for/against the Giro Monza, as it's a newer model that I've no experience with.

Our racing team has had the Bell Ghisallo as our sponsored "team" helmet for several seasons. I find it to be light, easily adjusted, well vented and comfortable. It also looks pretty nice and sells in almost any colour combo you'd want to match your bike / kit.

Some manufacturers fit some shapes of melons better than others. This is not so pronounced these days as it was back in the day of the Specialized Sub 6 and older models without the occipital harness fit systems. Back then they just sold thicker / thinner pads to help you fit the helmet to your head. Some helmets used to fit better on those with more ovoid type heads (Giro does come to mind but remember my knowledge is >5 years old at this point) and some fit rounder heads.

Now that you have the occipital cradle / harness (whatever they call it) in every model, these sorts of fit issues are markedly less.

I'd still recommend you try each model for yourself if possible before buying. Nothing will tell you what you want more than seeing and feeling it on your own head.

Weight and venting is so good on newer models of helmets that comfort issues are pretty much negligible between models.

Hope this helps -

Cheers, LFR

#3 ·
ditto on Ghisallo

had mine ~3 years? and it is light, good vented and easy to adjust all things LFR said. It also seems to be a lot quieter then other helmets, and cheap ~60$.

CP

PS btw LFR I like your avatar, cute :rolleyes:

#5 ·
duke660 said:
Thanks I will try the fit at some LBS . My only hang up on the bell as far as appearance goes is all the badges and stickers, they seem louder than the giro.
All the stickers and badges peel off easily. I personally didn't want to look like a Bell Billboard riding down the road so I took all mine off. I tried the Monza, Ghisallo, Pneumo on when I bought my helmet last month and the ghisallo felt better on my head (though it might not on yours) I like the way it adjusts better then the Giro adjustments. Your best bet is to go try them on and see.

#6 ·
Ghissallo

No offence to the Briko Solo, Catlike, and Laser folks out there, but in a time when many helmets look like an alien-smurf shuttle craft planted itself on your head, I sure like the crisp lines of the Ghisallo. Ive had mine for a few months and love it.

Of course, Im probably in the minority of folks who think the front end of the new Giro Atmos is FUGLY...

:)

#8 ·
How do they fit?

duke660 said:
I am looking for a new helmet ethier the monza or ghisallo. Does anyone have opinions about these two?
I think the most important thing is how does each one fit especially as it relates to the shape of your head. Giro tends to do well with round heads and Bell does better with more oblong or for lack of a better word recatangular shaped heads. I have a Bell and it is the most comfortable best fitting helmet I have ever had but that is only because it fits correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.