RoadBikeReview Member

Glare with the winter season

40% of my ride is a southward direction and the winter season seems no matter the time, it is constantly in my face. Combined with road glare it is becoming visually irritating. Polarized glasses don't help much and I was thinking one of the MTB helmets with visor might alleviate some of the discomfort.

Any of you have these visual conditions? Any suggestions?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    I also have this same problem. I was recently at a bike shop here and was looking at some MTB helmets with visors. I mentioned this to the owner and he suggested that I try a cycling cap under my helmet instead, since the cap visor was closer to your eyes that it would work better. Unfortunately I've been injured and off my bike for the last month and haven't been able to try it out yet.

banned
    Apr 2006
    personally I dont wear shades/sunnies in winter (the sun is relatively low here!) and its refreshing and energising (mentally) to have the sun on your face for a winter ride when normally its cloudy and dull 50% or more of the time!

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    The visor sounds like a good idea to me, especially when combined with glasses. Ask your LBS if there's a visor that'll fit your helmet. If not, you'll probably have to buy an MTB helmet. MTB helmets are the same as road helmets, only with removable visors.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

kytyree
    I usually wear a cycling cap in addition to my shades.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    What kind of sunglasses are you using? I would recommend "better" polarized glasses, but I don't know what you have.

I've found costa del mars and kaenon sunglasses are much better at cutting glare than smiths, tifosi's, and oakley's.

Maybe try a darker lens too. I find that dark brown lenses are much better than gray/black lenses.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The darkest glasses I have are Oakley black iridium's, the tint is comfortable except later in the day when it begins to get dark. The Maui Jim's are great at mid level daylight hours but the tint isn't adequate when facing the sun. The Rayban in the basic G-15 green and polarized version lens has been the most comfortable. When riding the drops, the sun goes right between the glasses and forehead. (All of them)

LOL...I could bring out the well aged Oakley Factory Pilot's, those have mega coverage. ;) Too bad they didn't have a black iridium polarized version.

Thanks for mentioning those glasses...the Kore's look nice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    have u tried putting some black stuff under your eye? i might be wrong but i think it is for glare

still shedding season
    Quote Originally Posted by envirocrat
    I would recommend "better" polarized glasses
    Polarizing lenses have the biggest effect at a 90 degree angle to the sun, and a lot less looking into it. Some lenses polarize more than others, and I have Kaenon Kore with dark lenses that are really good (mainly for kayaking) but even these might not be the answer.

corning my own beef
    Quote Originally Posted by M__E
    personally I dont wear shades/sunnies in winter (the sun is relatively low here!) and its refreshing and energising (mentally) to have the sun on your face for a winter ride when normally its cloudy and dull 50% or more of the time!
    You're braver than me..... I NEVER get on the bike without glasses of some kind. I use about 5 different lenses from clear to very dark and a few iterations in between, depending on light conditions. Besides the visual clarity the glasses provide, I really value the PROTECTION they offer. On several different occasions, I've been struck in the glasses by debris of some kind that would have done God-knows-what to my eye if it had not been for the glasses.

To the OP: I vastly prefer a cycling cap under my helmet to a visor. Does the same job with more adjustability.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had an MTB helmet and managed to put my hands on the visor...what a difference it made. I made special note on today's ride to see how others were dealing with the sun. Good mix of hat under helmet and visors for shading. I'm happy now and I didn't have to spend any $$.

I didn't even own a cat..
    I've used yellow or orange tint lenses. I think it knocks the glare for me and good for later night riding especially the yellow. Yellow I think naturally filters out the blue light which is a large amount of the glare that you will get. I noticed when I snow ski'd that the yellow is great for cutting out the brightness and able to see depth of undulations in overcast or when you are losing daylight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    This will sound like a broken record, but a cycling cap works wonders for me. Aside from keeping your head warmer and minimizing heat loss, the fact that the brim can be flipped or down depending on the sun conditions is a handy feature.

Low rep power
    Visor- I don't own a cycling cap........

What worries me more than my suffering from glare are the drivers behind me- especially the smokers, who have an additional glare layer on their windshields...